Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Service Call or Trip charge?

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
    We call it a dispatch fee. It's forty nine dollars. we waive that fee if repairs are made.
    Nothing gets fixed for $49.00 just a cursory examination. Taking something apart for examination cost $$$.

You know, I have notice that people will talk price on this forum, but will not talk price on other forums such as the PDL. They always say not to because of price fixing laws. I wonder why that is not a problem for RIDGID.
    None of us agree about price at all, so we can't possibly price fix! Plus we are all from different parts of the world.
    I for example charge higher than most guys here, and yet I am cheap compared to some other guys here, location is a big factor.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by MPMGinAL View Post
      Im just glad to see another installer that couldn't bear teh economy "slow-down" try and jump into the service field and get a piece of the pie that us service guys have worked years to get. If you don't know how to price it you probably can't fix it. Stick to hanging pipe.
      Boy let me tell you, I've been in this trade since you've been about 4 and your trying to tell me to stick to hanging pipes. Do you as a service plumber have a clue on how to plumb anything? or are you a replacement plumber? If you can take it out you can put it back in? you should thank us Pipe Hangers for giving you something to repair as if it were not for us you would be working at McDonald's flipping burgers. You have to remember one thing, we were the bakers of that PIE.
      ________
      Simca 9
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM.
      Mike

Comment

i charge $75 for the service charge and $90/hr based on 1/4 hr increments.

hope that helps

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
          We call it a dispatch fee. It's forty nine dollars. we waive that fee if repairs are made.
          Nothing gets fixed for $49.00 just a cursory examination. Taking something apart for examination cost $$$.

You know, I have notice that people will talk price on this forum, but will not talk price on other forums such as the PDL. They always say not to because of price fixing laws. I wonder why that is not a problem for RIDGID.
          I'm just asking so I don't go out and under charge for something and drive the cost of service work down. I've seen it in the trades for years where fly by nights come in and under price work, Stick around for a year or so, make you lower your prices to compete and then they go out of business. This is what I am trying to avoid.
          ________
          FORD COM?TE HISTORY
          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
            Boy let me tell you, I've been in this trade since you've been about 4 and your trying to tell me to stick to hanging pipes. Do you as a service plumber have a clue on how to plumb anything? or are you a replacement plumber? If you can take it out you can put it back in? you should thank us Pipe Hangers for giving you something to repair as if it were not for us you would be working at McDonald's flipping burgers. You have to remember one thing, we were the bakers of that PIE.

That a way TopD !! I LOVE when these young bucks TYPE TOUGH !!

From one former "hanger" to another ,,,, service work ain't no joke. It's TOUGH work also , plus all the added psychology that you HAVE to master to deal with homeowners . Check with other guys in your area ,, then try out a combination of Flat Rate / T & M ,,, see what gets the best response.

Good Luck in tough times .

CP

Comment

Its all about how you present your charges and whether the customer gets perceived value.

As an example we used to charge as $70 service call and $90/hr.

(The surgeon who lives opposite me thought this service call was outrageous seeing i only had to cross the road.)

Now my rates are $160 first hour then $90/hr there after. People are happy that they are not paying a service call fee. Go figure, its all in the marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                What if there is nothing to diagnose? Like a dripping faucet.
                in a lot of cases you could probably give advice over the phone about as well as a doctor could trying to determine based on what a person thinks is wrong with them, they dont , and you shouldnt,as ive said before everything looks the same over the phone. were not in this business to guess, the customer does not have a phd in plumbing nor did they spend the years to learn. bottom line if your in a service business and a customer calls ,you owe it to them to get your a*# out there and diagnose what ever problem they may be having, that is how you make a living. faucet dripping ok what brand, widespread or 4" center how old is it, washerless or does it have seats,point being, you cant see it 99.9% of all that call wont know, so when my phone rings and its play ball if there paying iam going.

Comment

Originally posted by aero1 View Post
                  in a lot of cases you could probably give advice over the phone about as well as a doctor could trying to determine based on what a person thinks is wrong with them, they dont , and you shouldnt,as ive said before everything looks the same over the phone. were not in this business to guess, the customer does not have a phd in plumbing nor did they spend the years to learn. bottom line if your in a service business and a customer calls ,you owe it to them to get your a*# out there and diagnose what ever problem they may be having, that is how you make a living. faucet dripping ok what brand, widespread or 4" center how old is it, washerless or does it have seats,point being, you cant see it 99.9% of all that call wont know, so when my phone rings and its play ball if there paying iam going.
                  Aero1 my point was not with charging a "diagnostic" fee for being there it was in using the term "diagnostic". If you look at my last few posts you would see that I say NEVER give a price over the phone. My point was maybe a better name would be "trip charge", "service call charge" "dispatch fee" or whatever. What does it matter if a faucet is a widespread or 4" centerset if it is dripping???Never give a rate over the phone, EVER.

My service call charge is $110. I will quote you an upfront price to make the repair, if you have us do the work we waive the service call charge. If its a no heat call the $110 includes 15 minutes of diagnostic time but does not get waived.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                    Aero1 my point was not with charging a "diagnostic" fee for being there it was in using the term "diagnostic". If you look at my last few posts you would see that I say NEVER give a price over the phone. My point was maybe a better name would be "trip charge", "service call charge" "dispatch fee" or whatever. What does it matter if a faucet is a widespread or 4" centerset if it is dripping???Never give a rate over the phone, EVER.

My service call charge is $110. I will quote you an upfront price to make the repair, if you have us do the work we waive the service call charge. If its a no heat call the $110 includes 15 minutes of diagnostic time but does not get waived.
                    you and i are not that far off, we also try not to give a price over the phone, but there are times when its better to give something than to lose everything,i would rather lose in house then let a potential job slip away, i make no money sitting and it doesnt hurt to give a customer a ballpark price over the phone if it is presented properly, in what we do you need to find what works best for you and if you know what it takes to feed the machine each day than your better of than most, there is a ton of skill and motive in everything we do, and second place in our world sucks.

Comment

Typical New Construction plumber, thinks they know everything. You'll have a rude awakening coming to the service side where you gotta know how drunk the idiot 7-3:30 factory worker plumber screwed the thing up. Yeah you might be a dang good "factory" plumber, but the service world is where the real pros are at! A service plumber has to know a lot more than plumbing a building! Done that! Then I became a real plumber and the school of 2:00am 20 feet deep sewer repairs, rotten under slab sewer lines, cross connections and other never seen before problems educated me real fast. 21 years a a plumber and I still learn something new on every service call! But your know it all "factory" plumbing experience will surely make you a mint!

I'm just asking so I don't go out and under charge for something and drive the cost of service work down. I've seen it in the trades for years where fly by nights come in and under price work, Stick around for a year or so, make you lower your prices to compete and then they go out of business. This is what I am trying to avoid.
                      You had better go to school and figure out that T&M is old school and not profitable for a true master of the trade! A quality flat rate system will ensure your customer is charged the same amount for the same repair regardless of your skill level! If you plan on being a one man band then go for your T&M. But be ready to let your customers talk to each other about why you charged them more for the same repair that you did for someone else!

You just gotta love a "factory" plumber that knows everything there is to know about plumbing! Make sure your crack is in plain view!

A PROFESSIONAL charges for their time! Flat Rate Systems cover your "Trip Charge" as it covers your overall overhead as well.
                      Last edited by ColoradoMaster; 10-29-2008, 06:59 PM.

Comment

I dont know about that...I do pretty well with both flat and T&M. There is a place for both, thats for sure. In my career now, I enjoy being able to do new, remodel and service plumbing. I mainly do service, I wish I could use my rodders more though. I have thought about starting a strictly drain service biz as well as the plumbing aspect. Seems many alway have to ask if I do rodding.

Comment

Originally posted by Australian Plumber Josh View Post

Now my rates are $160 first hour then $90/hr there after. People are happy that they are not paying a service call fee. Go figure, its all in the marketing.
                          Well said , Just look at companies like Mr Rooter

Comment

I belong to the NCPPA in North Carolina. We were shown a study that told us the normal plumbing contractor has 2 men riding in a truck, and that it costs the company owner close to $95 per hour to pay for this. If you charge $125 per hour , then each guy is making you about $15 per hour profit. If you charge less you might as well pass the call to someone else. If you base your pricing on what maybe Sear's, or any major retailer charges, this is about in line with them for the show up/first hour charge total. I guess we have the same problem plumbing contractors have all over the country- a builder expects free service from you if he gives you his work on new construction. I have been out of the service call business for 20 years, but after buying a couple of Ridgid SeeSnakes at a great price ,I am about to re-enter this field. At least when I am called to fix a problem, I have a great chance at getting paid. That $125/hour can be reduced a little if you keep the second man out of the truck and off the payroll. Still I think we should get the same rate that Sear's can command, which is that price here at the SC/NC coast. Anyone else getting this knid of money?
                            Last edited by harrill7; 10-30-2008, 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoMaster View Post
                              Typical New Construction plumber, thinks they know everything. You'll have a rude awakening coming to the service side where you gotta know how drunk the idiot 7-3:30 factory worker plumber screwed the thing up. Yeah you might be a dang good "factory" plumber, but the service world is where the real pros are at! A service plumber has to know a lot more than plumbing a building! Done that! Then I became a real plumber and the school of 2:00am 20 feet deep sewer repairs, rotten under slab sewer lines, cross connections and other never seen before problems educated me real fast. 21 years a a plumber and I still learn something new on every service call! But your know it all "factory" plumbing experience will surely make you a mint!

You had better go to school and figure out that T&M is old school and not profitable for a true master of the trade! A quality flat rate system will ensure your customer is charged the same amount for the same repair regardless of your skill level! If you plan on being a one man band then go for your T&M. But be ready to let your customers talk to each other about why you charged them more for the same repair that you did for someone else!

You just gotta love a "factory" plumber that knows everything there is to know about plumbing! Make sure your crack is in plain view!

A PROFESSIONAL charges for their time! Flat Rate Systems cover your "Trip Charge" as it covers your overall overhead as well.
                              I don't get the division of installers and service plumbers. What I really don't understand is why bash another of our own? Why be an a$$ for no reason?
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Why are we fighting about this?

Someone made a stupid remark towards "new construction plumbers" and TOPDAWG was just fighting back. No need for this construction plumber vs. service plumber debate/fight. Both have a tough job to do. Anyone that has done new construction in commercial or residential and has also done service work knows this.
                                YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
                                X