X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSP-1000 solution

So I was tinkering with my brand new SSP-1000 and while it was working good, I noticed (like everyone else) that it would overrun its cycle a little bit. So here is what I did, and so far it works GREAT!

The bolt that is through the mounting tabs on the sensor, I took that out. Then removed the sensor, and replaced the bolt without the sensor. I then used zip-strips and hung the sensor on the discharge pipe at whatever height I wanted. Why is this a solution?

Because now the bottom of my sensor is even with the top of the pump. Now my pump stays fully submerged which will keep it running cooler, no more dry sucking, no more gurgling sounds, and the sensor still works EXACTLY like it should. Plus it keeps the sensor a little higher from the bottom of the pit and helps keep it clean. I don't know about others but I have junk in the bottom of my pit, like very very fine clay from my backyard, and before, after just 3 days, I noticed it collecting on the sensor. Not anymore

I can also slide the sensor up and down the discharge pipe to whatever height I want, but I have it positioned perfectly so the pump stays submerged. And for whatever reason, the pump no longer runs past its normal cycle. Water gets a fraction of an inch below the sensor, and it shuts off, just like it was meant to. If anyone wants, I can take pictures.
    Last edited by 88Nightmare; 04-02-2008, 05:37 PM.

Re: SSP-1000 solution

The thru-bolt that you removed and replaced,along with the other two bolts,will begin to rust at the juncture where they thread into the cast iron base---even though they are stainless(a low grade stainless)--and the pump will eventually fail when they rust thru completely.
    Check them in a few months or so if you can by wiping off the silt,etc. and you'll see the evidence. If RIDGID would acknowledge this problem and provide an upgraded stainless steel retrofit,I'd have no problem with the pump...by the way, RIDGID should thank you ... it sounds like you've solved the sensor problem..they should offer that as a commonsense approach to most of the complaints I've read regarding the SSP-1000--great idea.

Comment

I have the same problem that everyone else seems to have with the SSP-1000. Gurgling and running dry past it's cycle. I noticed the solution on this thread, so I took a look at my pit to see if it would work for me.
      If I remove the sensor from the pump and mount it on the discharge pipe above the top of the pump, it would be even with, or above the drain tile inlet pipe also.
      Is that ok?

Comment

Today will be my 3rd and final SSP-1000 pump replacement...no more, after this, I get a Zoeller. 1st pump 2 years ago, bolts rusted out...2nd pump 1 year ago, bolts rusted out...I contacted Bob Hillenbrand @ Wayne about the issue. He was kind enough to send me 3 new "stainless" bolts (however, he didn't answer if they were a quality stainless, or more of the same-old rusty stainless). So, I have 3 new bolts, now properly prepped & coated with Por-15. It's the only thing I could think of that would last in water, since it's moisture cured. Going to pull my 3rd rusted-bolt pump out shortly and use my new coated bolts in it.

I am also going to locate the sensor higher, as the o.p. described to keep the pump submerged and reduce the cycling. I have not had the weekly issue of having to clean the sensor...each of the 2 pumps I've cleaned the sensor once or twice each over the course of a year. I am, however on an underground spring and my sump is constantly filling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so maybe it's a stagnent water issue where the "film" builds up on the sensor.

Cross your fingers for me, if the Por-15 holds up, the rusting bolt issue is the only real complaint I have had with this model. I could use a little break from yearly sump pump replacement.

Comment

Hey there, i have a ssp-1000 is there anyway you can post some pics for me?
          thanks,
          bigsave21

Comment

Originally posted by beehive View Post
            Today will be my 3rd and final SSP-1000 pump replacement...no more, after this, I get a Zoeller. 1st pump 2 years ago, bolts rusted out...2nd pump 1 year ago, bolts rusted out...I contacted Bob Hillenbrand @ Wayne about the issue. He was kind enough to send me 3 new "stainless" bolts (however, he didn't answer if they were a quality stainless, or more of the same-old rusty stainless). So, I have 3 new bolts, now properly prepped & coated with Por-15. It's the only thing I could think of that would last in water, since it's moisture cured. Going to pull my 3rd rusted-bolt pump out shortly and use my new coated bolts in it.

I am also going to locate the sensor higher, as the o.p. described to keep the pump submerged and reduce the cycling. I have not had the weekly issue of having to clean the sensor...each of the 2 pumps I've cleaned the sensor once or twice each over the course of a year. I am, however on an underground spring and my sump is constantly filling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so maybe it's a stagnent water issue where the "film" builds up on the sensor.

Cross your fingers for me, if the Por-15 holds up, the rusting bolt issue is the only real complaint I have had with this model. I could use a little break from yearly sump pump replacement.
            Well, more than 6 months later, there is no sign of rust anywhere on the bolts. I did apply the Por-15 on the threads, but wiped most of it off before curing. I also squeezed a bit of waterproof grease into the holes on the pump base when installing. And since moving the sensor up the pipe, no more gurgling. Still haven't had to clean the sensor, but as I said, there's a constant flow of water in there that may help keep it cleaner.

Since doing those 2 things, I am a happy camper. I forgot the pump was down there except the 1 time the backup alarm went off in the middle of the night...was about to curse that pump until I realized we had lost power

Comment

Working...
            X