Sorry, I'm too busy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, I'm too busy

I HATE turning away new customers. In the back of my mind I think "this might be the person that's going to need work when business is slow ten months from now."
    But one man can only do so much. When is your customer base too large? How do you nicely turn someone away and leave the door open for future calls from them?
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Sorry, I'm too busy

when its big enough hire on another guy

Comment

Ya you could hire a guy, but like you said, could be extremely busy one month, slow the next. Just try to fill up your days. Alot will wait till next day if not an emergency. If its an emergency, unfortunetly you gotta go. I dont care how busy i am, if i have 15 jobs in one day that have to be done, then they have to be done, doesnt matter to me if im working till 2am. Then i know im eating well that week
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

it try to pass jobs on to a buddy in the business when i'm to busy and vise versa

Comment

Yup, that's what I generally do. If they sounded like they would've been a really good addition to my base I sometimes call them later to make sure that they were taken care of (that also lets me keep tabs on how my referrals are performing).

When initially turning them away I'll say something like,"you know, I don't think I could give you the best service that you deserve because I'm booked till...so may I refer you to so & so."
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I have yet to turn calls away, I never will turn them away.

I have a trusted plumber buddy who will take the call for me, and vise versa when he is too busy. I trust this guy and if the customer is new, I will always make an attempt to get there and send him to one of my existing customers.

So I never loose any business. I for the most part have all my bases covered.

I do not look forward to having employees, so we will not talk about that now.

As for customer base, in my book it can never be to large, I can never have enough customers the work will always get done.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

too busy, or on vacation at the roundup

i have a buddy that i refer work too when i'm swamped or out of town. he has 20 guys.

same goes for him when they are swamped and i'm in the area.

we never swap money, he does the work, he bills them.

the funny thing is that some of my customers were his rejects. customers that he didn't want anymore.

some that i never knew he worked for until i asked who his regular/ old plumber was. sometimes you see his sticker on the disposal / heater.

it all goes around as we've both been in the same area for over 30 years

fun when you pick his brain for an old track record.

we both have our problem customers and like to pawn them off to each other for kicks

at the end of the week we get together over dinner and compare stories, good, bad and ugly

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X