X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stinky faucet?

i installed a moen kitchen sink faucet for a customer about 3 weeks ago, she called today and said the water has a bad odor and taste, only at that faucet, she purchased a brita filter and that doesnt help. i havent been out to see it yet but what are your guys opinions? she has qest pipe through out the house, it doesnt smell or taste funny anywhere else, i put new stainless steel supplies on, the facet was brand new, it doesnt smell like eggs but she cant explain what it smells like. so let it rip what do you think
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: stinky faucet?

Until you smell it. Who knows?

J.C.

Comment

Some people have a sensitivity to certain types of plastic...( Moen Plastic in cartridge)

Did you use silicon grease or any type of lube during instalation?

Could that sink still have a bit of old copper or galv line still feeding it and the increased flow rate of the new faucet is washing some of the crud out of the old line?

Some folks are habitual complainers, offer her a discount and see if the bad tase goes away....

You should be able to taste the difference also but if you are a smoker or sick don't count on it...

Just a few random thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        Some people have a sensitivity to certain types of plastic...( Moen Plastic in cartridge)

Did you use silicon grease or any type of lube during instalation?

Could that sink still have a bit of old copper or galv line still feeding it and the increased flow rate of the new faucet is washing some of the crud out of the old line?

Some folks are habitual complainers, offer her a discount and see if the bad tase goes away....

You should be able to taste the difference also but if you are a smoker or sick don't count on it...

Just a few random thoughts.
        i didnt use any grease on the fauce
        she purchased the faucet through my supplier.
        we installed a new kitchen sink with the faucet
        the house has qest poly pipe
        she is a picky customer but a good one im going out tommorrow to check it out. i was just hoping someones ran across this before
        Mike

Comment

I have had my share of stinky water complaints

Some people even said they can smell the lead in the water

Lead abatement is in the news everyday here so this complaint is just common hysteria

Women have a higher sence of smell than men so you may not smell anything when you get there

It's likely she has some form of contamination after the faucet. If she can still smell and taste it after the Brita Filter is used that's most likely the problem. Her dishwasher not rinsing properly and she can taste the soap residue left in the glass.

You can run swamp water through a Brita and it will come out clear

Check the aerator to be sure no pipe dope or flux is stuck in the screen

My guess she is just lonely and wants to see you again

Comment

Weird? Let us know what you find.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I got called to a school once to investigate a sewer smell coming from a faucet in a utility sink that the teachers were using to wash out their coffee cups. They thought some how sewer was getting into the water line.
              I ran and ran the faucet and didn't smell a thing. Then I noticed a hose on the floor with some kind of contraption(kind of like a sprayer) on the end. I picked it up and took a big smell and almost . It was the nastiest smell I've ever encountered. I asked if that was usually hooked up and sure enough it was. They were using that water to make coffee and wash their cups.
              I don't know what kind of bacteria was in it. I took the hose and contraption, bagged it and took it with me so someone din't just try to "clean" it.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Some plastic faucets get bacteria in them and will smell like rotten eggs. But that doesn't sound like the case here - although it's possible that the stainless supplies might be the culprit. They have a plastic tube inside, usually, that can promote bacteria. I once replaced an icemaker line like that.

But the problem might not be in the water. It's possible that it's the tubular under the sink and running water through it brings up the odor. In that case, clean or replace the tubular.

Comment

thanks guys i am going in the morning ill let ya know
                  Mike

Comment

And?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      And?
                      Hey Duck,
                      For "the rest of the story" look for the "Stinky Faucet 2" thread.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                      X