X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stuff you've done and charged for, but probably should'nt have

This thread kinda took a different direction that I had intended, but that's ok.
    What I was really thinking is, and I'm not quite wure how to put this so I suppose the shot gun effect will have to suffice. Hack stuff you've done and charged for but probably should'nt have (J.B. Weld repairs qualify)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      This thread kinda took a different direction that I had intended, but that's ok.
      What I was really thinking is, and I'm not quite wure how to put this so I suppose the shot gun effect will have to suffice. Hack stuff you've done and charged for but probably should'nt have (J.B. Weld repairs qualify)

Oh that's what you wanted?

Late on a Friday, basement toilet leaks at base, old rusty bolts, valve won't shut off.

Some caulking around the base ought to buy me some time until Monday.

"Thank you for the $100 check and call me if it starts to leak again"

Is that what you were looking for NHMaster?

Comment

i dont charge for 1/2 a$$ work i do. i have in the past and than it leaks and i have to go back and fix it on my dime. than im all pissy cuz i tried to save a buck. it always back fires on me
        Mike
        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

This one is embarrassing, I charged for this, at a discount, but still charged...

septic system. high level alam in tank going off. mounded system with a pump in the tank. tank buried under 6' of snow.

check breakers... one labled septic not tripped... proceed to dig up tank lids.

open 3rd tank lid after much digging and yes, level is high.... pull pump.. no apparent problem. check power to pump... no voltage. check breakers again... all fine as before... scratch head and wire extension cord directly to pump...reinstall, works fine. 'I think you need an electrician.' but it is sunday and where are they going to find someone and they go back to primary house tomorrow...so 'I'll see if I can chase it down.'

go back into house, down into crawlspace.... find romex going out in that general direction, with a tiny two wire with it that has to be the high level alarm. check voltage there... dead there too. pull out batts of insulation and chase wire back toward breaker box. find a junction box, three pieces romex to it, one from pump, one from breaker box (live), and one wired such that there has to be a switch. pull more insulation, find conduit for third wire exiting through footer. go outside, remove massive roofdump of snow from deck, find switch low on side of house, snow dumped from roof, buried it, switched it off in the process. put it all back together, flip switch, all is well.

4 1/2 hours on a sunday to flip a switch.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
            This one is embarrassing, I charged for this, at a discount, but still charged...

septic system. high level alam in tank going off. mounded system with a pump in the tank. tank buried under 6' of snow.

check breakers... one labled septic not tripped... proceed to dig up tank lids.

open 3rd tank lid after much digging and yes, level is high.... pull pump.. no apparent problem. check power to pump... no voltage. check breakers again... all fine as before... scratch head and wire extension cord directly to pump...reinstall, works fine. 'I think you need an electrician.' but it is sunday and where are they going to find someone and they go back to primary house tomorrow...so 'I'll see if I can chase it down.'

go back into house, down into crawlspace.... find romex going out in that general direction, with a tiny two wire with it that has to be the high level alarm. check voltage there... dead there too. pull out batts of insulation and chase wire back toward breaker box. find a junction box, three pieces romex to it, one from pump, one from breaker box (live), and one wired such that there has to be a switch. pull more insulation, find conduit for third wire exiting through footer. go outside, remove massive roofdump of snow from deck, find switch low on side of house, snow dumped from roof, buried it, switched it off in the process. put it all back together, flip switch, all is well.

4 1/2 hours on a sunday to flip a switch.
            thats a lot of work i hope you would charge for that
            Mike
            Clark County Plumbing And Drain
            www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

A classic is when you get a call from a customer complaining of a sewer gas smell, and you dump a 5 gallon pail of water into the trap and go on your way.
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Or when they complain of a sewer gas smell and you walk in bathroom and say, "You've got a dead mouse in the wall."
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by CPlumb
                  yet I'm starting to think a 1/2 a service call or maybe as little as $35 -50 bucks might be a better idea .

Thoughts ??
                  When I was still hourly, I figured 1/2 hour for a minimum charge. In flat rate, my prices are based upon the cost of doing the job added to the cost of getting me out there - in my case about $38.

I had a "Minimum tech service" of $58 and since I often couldn't find another task that fit, I would charge that. Eventually, I realized that it wasn't cutting it because most of those little tasks weren't all that little. So I created another task and called it "Basic tech service " and described it as more than just an adjustment. I raised the price on the minimum service and made the Basic service about an hour's rate.

It has to be worth going out.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                    Or when they complain of a sewer gas smell and you walk in bathroom and say, "You've got a dead mouse in the wall."
                    lol.... i had one like that, when i was a 1st year mechanic. My helper was sick that day and it was for an older woman..... rather than an old lady. I was about 5'8" 250 lbs and i traced it down to the wall next to the toilet. It smelled like something died literally like a mouse or a rat. So she asked me if i could go into her crawlspace and see if i could get it out. She was a good customer so i said of course. well the crawl space was maybe 10" tall and my fat a@# barely fit in there. i "slithered' myself right up to where the smell was coming from and found a dead rat maybe 6 or 7 inches from my face. so i couldnt turn around underthere so i tried to work my way out backwards...... I got stuck! Thank god i had a cell phone i had to call the shop and have someone come out tie a rope to my feet and pull me out!!!! thank god for the anonmynity, s.p? of the internet or else this story would not have been divulged! i still hear about it to this day when i see guys from the old shop at the supply houses etc. HOPE YOU GUYS GOT A GOOD CHUCKLE!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      You kidding right?

This is my forum.I come here to impress people.Do you actually think I am going to risk any kind of doubt of my abilities by admitting fault.

Not in this house of perfect plumbers.

Adam

Comment

Desanco nuts, on several occasions I've gotten called to find a mystery leak under a sink that turns out to be a loosely tightened Desanco washer at the trap...probably had been slowly leaking over it's lifespan and the owner just noticed it one day.
                        Yup, I charge for an hour of my time.

Comment

Working...
                        X