stinky faucet 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stinky faucet 2

well i went to the lady's house with the stinky faucet i soaked all the parts of the faucet in vinegar for a while and i traced the smell back to the braided supply lines i think? i replaced them with pex supplies and put it back together it seemed to take care of it? i install braided supplies every day i dont know why these ones made an odor?
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: stinky faucet 2

Possibly there's some kind of bacteria present that really liked that type of plastic. Or maybe they found their way into the connectors long before they were installed . . .

Comment

thats the only thing i can think of its weird though she is a very picky customer, but i could smell it and my nose doesnt work that well?
      Mike

Comment

Good job finding the problem.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

thanks for getting back to us, maybe you should let us know the type and brand of supply lines that caused the problem??

a good heads up so we don't use them

something in the water? something in her water heater, like a bacteria that caused this to react with this supply line? nasty stuff in the expansion tank?

was the faucet closest or furthest fromt he water supply? maybe by the time it entered the other fixtures, the bacteria was washed away?
          Last edited by westcoastplumber; 04-05-2008, 08:05 PM.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
            well i went to the lady's house with the stinky faucet i soaked all the parts of the faucet in vinegar for a while and i traced the smell back to the braided supply lines i think? i replaced them with pex supplies and put it back together it seemed to take care of it? i install braided supplies every day i dont know why these ones made an odor?
            You never said if this house is on a Well or City water.

If they are on City water, then, the water is chlorinated and bacteria wasn't the problem. Vinegar is not a disinfectant and won't kill bacteria. Vinegar will only camoflauge the odor temporarily.

If they are on a well, then, bacteria is only one possibility not necessarily the only possibility.

Which is it? Well water or City water?
            Last edited by Pete M; 04-06-2008, 12:05 AM.
            Pete
            Drain Biz
            Articles, Videos, Industry News

Comment

she is on city water.
              the supply lines were pro flo braided supplies ive used hundreds of them with no problems even in the same neighborhood. i thought it may have been the water heater but there is no smell in the rest of the house just the kitchen faucet. and no vinegar does not kill bacteria but it does help neutralize odor. the smell and taste seemed to be gone. but we will see if she calls back? but the supply lines seemed to have that smell i dont know?
              Mike

Comment

That sounds like a bacterial problem. It could be there was debris in the supply tube before it was installed. I would consider taking a water sample and having it tested for your own piece of mind.
                the dog

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                  she is on city water.
                  the supply lines were pro flo braided supplies ive used hundreds of them with no problems even in the same neighborhood. i thought it may have been the water heater but there is no smell in the rest of the house just the kitchen faucet. and no vinegar does not kill bacteria but it does help neutralize odor. the smell and taste seemed to be gone. but we will see if she calls back? but the supply lines seemed to have that smell i dont know?

hmmm, smell and taste are gone, you tasted it......you are one brave
                  person
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

I'm still not convinced it was the supply tubes

Maybe the first day or two after install you might get an odor but not 3 weeks later

just my opinion that accounts for nothing around here

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      just my opinion that accounts for nothing around here
                      Bill, go to the mirror and say "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it, people like me."
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Only thing I could think of is a vinyl liner in some supplies that may give you that "cheap raft" smell and taste.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Only thing I could think of is a vinyl liner in some supplies that may give you that "cheap raft" smell and taste.

J.C.
                          thats kinda what it was, not a metalic, not a sulfer, not a real strong plastic. im not convinced on anything yet only time will tell i guess
                          Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X