X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final air test-who does it?

Never saw this spec'd to a government job. Anyone else do this or is the stack test good enough?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Final air test-who does it?

I think I'm gonna learn something. What kind of final air test do you mean?

J.C.

Comment

**** the only test they let me do is a test out after I set fixtures.

We usually do a water test which is only turning on the water after you've ran your pipes.

Or a gas test. Turn off all the valves at the appliance's and turn the gas on. Make the meter needle with a sharpie and check if it moves.

I've yet to see anyone testing drain/vent pipes.

I recently did a small commerical job, and asked to test out the water lines.

1. It's code/the right thing to do.

2. But it was also my first time using Pro-Press.

I wasn't allowed too. Luckily there was no problems, yet atleast.
      Last edited by Aaron91; 04-06-2008, 05:25 PM.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

You plug up every vent, cleanout, everything so the entire dwv system is isolated. You then put air into the system with until you get 1" w.c. You put the manometer tube through the toilet ptrap seal to get reading. This tests the wax rings, spuds, the whole schabang.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

When's the last time any of you've had an inspector ask you to do a final air test?
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Learned something. NC does not require it as far as I know. Water test on all DWV. Pressure test on all water lines. There once was a peppermint test in the code for DWV but was not enforced and to my knowledge pretty much abandoned.

J.C.

Comment

Every job we do in one county requires a final air test. They are the only County in Ohio that makes us do one on residential plumbing along with commercial. All other County's I've worked in Ohio require final air test only on commercial buildings as buy code they are required.
              ________
              Iolite vaporizer review
              Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:57 PM.
              Mike

Comment

Worked for an oldtimer years ago that insisted on air testing undergrounds, because if there were a leak you might not see it under the pipe.
                First time I ever worked for him he asked me to remove the test gear as he chatted with the inspector...I hadn't realized there was still pressure in the system as I loosened the dollar plug...both he and the inspector stood there laughing as the plug flew straight up out of the vertical stub.
                We have a variety of accepterd tests, Head, Air, Aquastatic , smoke and Peppermint.
                I've never done a peppermint test, probably never will where I work alone now.

Comment

i know the plumbers here have to have a air test on there rough in work and not sure at what psi and never heard of a final test

i have to have a hydrostatic test at 3 times the working pressure on all my heating pipes .
                  and the gas co does a test with the gas meter gauge and the town ship wants 3 times the working pressure . no the township past my test with a leak that did not make my gauge move in the hour long test but it did move in the 3rd hour then i fixed the leak
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

We have to test D.W.V at 5 psi. and water lines at 70 psi. on rough plumbing. For a final air we have to plug sewer and vent stacks and raise the water level in the toilets 1" or get 1" water column using a manometer.
                    ________
                    Vaporite Solo
                    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:57 PM.
                    Mike

Comment

The UPC only requires rough DWV to be tested.
                      the dog

Comment

Have been doing work on 2 gov. jobs , Great lakes Naval Air Station and Ft. Sheridan in no. Il. Both jobs require a test , 5' head on the PVC underground and a stack test using water on the PVC W+V. Nothing on the trim other than the water on and the temps. set at the T+S valves .
                        I have other jobs in different villages that require 5' head on even a pit and a floor drain in PVC , 20# on gas installations, a stack test with water thru the roof and 200# hydrostatic for 2 hrs. on a ductile water service.
                        I really don't like the idea of testing a PVC system with air , you would know why if you ever saw one let loose , hydrostatic is much safer .
                        I have never been required to do a final air test on any system , did a peppermint test once , it turned out it was a dead rat in the wall causing the " sewer smell" .
                        EVERYBODY HAS LEAKS ,JUST DON'T HAVE YOUR"S ON MY JOB !

Comment

Here in our town we didn't have to air test DWV roughins until this year. I've never of a final test though.

Comment

Working...
                          X