X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laid off plumber

IM a journeyman plumber, mostly new construction, things are very slow here. It looks like a lot of you guys are in service or commercial, how are things going in your areas of expertise.

Re: laid off plumber

hate to hear that but not unexpected, in columbia new housing is at a stand still, new construction is staying steady, with fort jackson the university and being that columbia is the capitol things are steady, service wise everyday is a new life and some day are better than others. fortunately were not getting it as bad as others, ive got a brother in michigan in the plumbing business as he's getting the sh#T kicked out of him. good luck to all.
    Last edited by aero1; 04-08-2008, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear your situation. Here in Westchester County things are still very good.

Comment

Sorry to hear that.

Things are very slow here in Maryland. Residential Construction is pretty much at a stand still.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I am in northern Indiana on the service side and it is mediocre at best.

Sorry to hear you are laid off. Is this your first time being laid off?

Due to many factory closings, auto suppliers moving to Mexico and trailer factory guys being let go, we have increased our share of hacks/handymen.

Suddenly because they worked on a fifth wheel they are capable of doing plumbing, electrical and carpentry. This is great for them because they don't turn it in as income, don't pay taxes and still get their unemployment checks. Sorry for the rant.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
            This is great for them because they don't turn it in as income, don't pay taxes and still get their unemployment checks. Sorry for the rant.

I agree!!

Sorry for your situation, hang in there and it will all work out. when one door closes another opens

service / repair is fine here, new construction is still ok, although I hear the new bids are at a stand still, I suspect in 6-8 months most of the new construction will migrate over to service / repair if our current situation does not change.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

At least the hacks will give me something to fix.

Comment

Within the past four months, six of the guys attending my apprentice course have been laid off by their companies. I tell them all the same thing. MOVE. None of them want to hear it because naturally their friends and family are here. But the reality is that if you are comitted to the trade and intend to stay with it, you need to be where the action is.
                sigpic

Comment

I was offered a 6mo. job in Oklahoma unfortunately there pay scale was $8 an hour less. By the time i paid for a hotel room and drove home on weekends it would hardly be more than unemployment. I have little ones or I would not come home as often to save gas

Comment

The condo boom has finally slowed down some here. Not because of the economy so much as the market is just saturated. No more 300-400 unit complexes going up anymore. Still bidding on lots of small to mid size jobs (less than 60 units) Seems like GC's are shopping around more. Bids offers coming in everyday.

The Southeast Waterfront revitalization project in full gear now that the new Nationals Stadium is open. New tower crains blanket the skyline.

Guys calling all the time from surrounding areas looking for work here. Some from over 100 miles away in West Virginia.

Service is a little slow but it always is this time of year.

Getting harder to talk someone into a replacement faucet than a rebuild.

Comment

Im not complaining or at least i hope im not. I was really just curious about the rest of the country's plumbing market.

Comment

No installs, just drain cleaning...'07 was up 15% from '06, 08' going strong, slowed down last 10 days or so but that is typical seasonal slowdown.
                        Economy in general strong here, housing market a little soft; no real price drop but things take longer to sell. That has impacted the new construction a little, but not that much. Overall OK here, still plenty of work, but if the rest of the country stays in the doldrums it will catch up to us eventually.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

J.S.,

There will always be slow downs in construction every decade or so. The trick is to be diverse enough to find the niches in the business no one else can do.

Good luck-Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Strong and steady in Ky/Oh from a service plumber's perspective.

Plumbing supply houses are hurting, they have been working off a skeleton crew for quite some time. The counter looks like an abandoned building sometimes.

I'm getting people pricing more than before but my repeat base keeps something going on every week. Here soon I'd have enough to keep a plumber running 40hrs a week with no problem between two businesses.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Still Ok here in the Northwest. Tracks have slowed but high-end is still Ok. I have been getting beat up a little more lately on bids. Union work is still strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X