Originally posted by haycad View Post
    dont you need unions on your heaters?

UPC you do
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Re: Water heater pics

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
      thats a thermostatic control valve, or a mixer, it maintains a certain water temp, making sure the water doles not get to hot

my question is, why all the temp control on an electric water heater?? a 30 gallon, what appears to be a residential

boilers or commercial water heaters, yes....

help me on this one.....
      Same here. I don't recall ever installing a mixing valve on a small residential electric heater.

Anyway, its a nice-looking installation overall gearjunkie.

And the ball-valve on the expansion tank is a cool idea. The only reason I know its illegal is because I did it once too and bragged about it being superior to my boss, he of course corrected me....oops. Still a cool idea though to make changing it easier.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Forget what you've been told. Forget what you think you know. Storage tanks can and do harbor and breed legionella bacteria.

70 to 80 °C (158 to 176 °F) - Disinfection range
        At 66 °C (151 °F) - Legionellae die within 2 minutes
        At 60 °C (140 °F) - Legionellae die within 32 minutes
        At 55 °C (131 °F) - Legionellae die within 5 to 6 hours
        50 to 55 °C (122 to 131 °F) - They can survive but do not multiply
        20 to 50 °C (68 to 122 °F)- Legionellae growth range
        35 to 46 °C (95 to 115 °F) - Ideal growth range
        Below 20 °C (68 °F) - Legionellae can survive but are dormant
        Water heaters should be set at 140 degrees to kill the bacteria within the tank. Clorinated water has little if any effect on legionella except when used in very high (and dangerous) concentrations.
        The correct thing to do is set the heater at 140 and install a tempering valve at the outlet to bring the water temperature down to 110 degrees. If hot water pipes exceed 100' the tempering valves should be installed at the fixtures because legionella can survive in the piping.
        Take a look at Watts's web site. they have some very good information there, including a video called Danger, scalding lurks.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          ben good job but your stubs for the thermometer's look a little far from the flow of water to get a good temp reading
          How close do you think it should be? The wells are 4" long. Do the wells need to be brass or can they be S/S?

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          my question is, why all the temp control on an electric water heater?? a 30 gallon, what appears to be a residential . Built according to prints. I get an isometric and decide where to place the valves
          Originally posted by haycad View Post
          dont you need unions on your heaters?
          Not on the prints and I see no reason to as it's one more connection that can fail. W/H last 6-12 years so adding 4 extra joints and 10 mins. extra time to replace it seems worth it to eliminate a fitting that can possibly fail. And yes, this is from the guy who says sharkbites aren't the worst thing in the world.

A little background on the place. This is the same project with the flushometer cpvc stubouts. Let me know if you want to see pics on how that came out(I didn't do the work and still refuse that to this). The navy and virginia go by ICC (IPC). Every navy job I've every seen uses tempering valves. Not sure if it matters but start to finish was 2 hours.
          Last edited by gear junkie; 04-08-2008, 10:02 PM.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Wanted to double check the code for the valve on the expansion tank. In the 2006 IPC section 607 is hot water supply system and I couldn't find anything about prohibited valve locations.

Couldn't find anything about requiring unions on a w/h(chapter 5).If anyone comes up with anything different on either one, let me know.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Gotta agree with you on the unions. Not worth a d@#!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Wanted to double check the code for the valve on the expansion tank. In the 2006 IPC section 607 is hot water supply system and I couldn't find anything about prohibited valve locations.

Couldn't find anything about requiring unions on a w/h(chapter 5).If anyone comes up with anything different on either one, let me know.
                Check UPC 609.5

Mark

Sorry Ben I missed the IPC part.
                Last edited by ToUtahNow; 04-08-2008, 10:02 PM.
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  Check UPC 609.5

Mark
                  We go by IPC. That's all I'm familar with. Navy doesn't even go by ADA code. They use the ICC/ANSI instead. Don't ask me, I didn't make the rules up, I just bend them to suit my needs.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                    Wait a minute, I follow the National Standard Plumbing Code and it's ill-legal to have a valve in between the water heater and the expansion tank. Due to the fact that someone could just shut off the valve, making the expansion tank pointless/useless.

Correcta-mundo; KY follows NPC as well. I switched one out today, just shut the main off and opened laundry tub....did it on the fly.

Looks great Ben; might be more work to do it in copper but in the long run it holds a greater value.
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 04-08-2008, 10:11 PM.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

[quote=gear junkie;134774] I do know the soldering sucks and I'll leave it at that. quote]

I would say your solder joints are beautiful and a 2 hour install time for everything pictured is impressive.

What about the brass nips at the tank? Did you remove the heat traps?
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

i believe that tempering valves are now required as of 2007. i was at the supply house the other day and they had it posted on the wall.

not sure if it only was for commercial, multi unit installations or included residential too?

mark, do you know?

and yes we do require unions on the heater. i also provide one at the pressure relief valve too.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Maybe on the side of the expansion tank you should put the web address of DUNBAR'S video of expansion tank failure---and a date that this one should be changed with your phone # at the bottom.

Is that an rp or a double check and what does it serve?
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

105 degrees for washing hands,higher for sanitation temperatures(dishwashers etc).

Comment

[quote=SlimTim;134853]
                              Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              I do know the soldering sucks and I'll leave it at that. quote]

I would say your solder joints are beautiful and a 2 hour install time for everything pictured is impressive.

What about the brass nips at the tank? Did you remove the heat traps?
                              I was training someone and let him do half the joints. He made some gorilla joints(ugly as Xuck but strong as hell) but he was learning. I was training him and am responsible for his work so I can't cop out and blame any bad workmanship on him. Use a wire brush in your drill, cut copper with a sawzall, norton pads to clean the pipe and a uni bit to ream the pipe and 2 hours was easy time. I did have my helper use a tubing cutter(lenox of course) cause he butchered too many joints with a sawzall.

That tank doesn't come with heat traps and I don't care for them as they can freeze up and cause future problems, particularly the ball style. The brass nipples are screwed directly into the tank.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What is the reason that a valve before the txt is illegal? It is legal here. What is the worst that could happen? Doesnt make sense. We use them here all the time here, especially on boilers.

Comment

Working...
                                X