Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water heater pics

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
    What is the reason that a valve before the txt is illegal? It is legal here. What is the worst that could happen? Doesnt make sense. We use them here all the time here, especially on boilers.
    same reason why we can't install a shut off before a trap primer.

to easy to shut it off and never fix the leaking tank or trap primer.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      same reason why we can't install a shut off before a trap primer.

to easy to shut it off and never fix the leaking tank or trap primer.

rick.
      I guess its a local thing, here a txt on domestic is not required unless the system becomes closed (p.r.v. or double check on the main)

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
        I guess its a local thing, here a txt on domestic is not required unless the system becomes closed (p.r.v. or double check on the main)
        pretty much the same here too. in fact, even the trap primers are no longer adjustable out here.

a check valve is typically found with recirc. systems.

almost all pressure regulators have a thermal expansion bypass. as long as the city pressure is well below 150#, the bypass will allow the pressure back into the main. we don't have meter backflow protection for the most part. although santa monica is starting to ask for it on commercial applications.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I have failed an inspection where the fire mashal made us take out the valves to the ex. tank. said if it is closed in a fire it is a bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
            I have failed an inspection where the fire mashal made us take out the valves to the ex. tank. said if it is closed in a fire it is a bomb.
            Very true.
            sigpic

Comment

Why not put a lock out on the valve inline with the expansion tank to avoid anyone closing the valve.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                Wait a minute, I follow the National Standard Plumbing Code and it's ill-legal to have a valve in between the water heater and the expansion tank.
                Where is this at?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Very true.
                  I guess it's me! What makes it more dangerous if its valved off then if its open?

Comment

I don't wanna sound negative here,but I think swing joints look terrible...and definatly would have avoided them in this install.

Our inspectors require us to pipe in these silly "heat traps" on both sides of the tank,kinda looks like s-traps made from 90s.Anyone else run into this?

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      This is for a 35 gal electric w/h. The 2 fpt stubouts are for thermometer but waiting on the thermometer wells. I do know the soldering sucks and I'll leave it at that. Tell me what you think, be honest.
                      I won't you hurt you too bad

just a couple of things.....

5 ball valves for a water heater install is excessive

1 too many gauges (unless the schematics call for these)

The wells won't read the water temp accurately at their current location

Top of the heater outlet where the 90 is should have been a tee with temp well on top

I prefer a round temp. gauges with a soldered well way less money than a verticle glass style

Relief valve is on the side of heater or in the middle between the hot & cold?

Could have put the well there

Can't read the dial on the mixing valve without standing on your head

Where's your vacuum relief?

Comment

I was going to let this blow over, but here goes nothing.

I do not know, nor have I talked to ThisOldPlumber before, and this is the message I received in my PM inbox a few minutes ago. I have already sent a PM to Josh.

Get a life buddy. Are you just scared a 17 year knows codes and is able to do the same work as you? I also have my GED, so more than likely, you and I have the same level of education. I'd hope you and I would get along, since we both are plumbers after all.

Originally posted by ThisOldPlumber
                        Hey Arran you seem life a real douche. Go back to school you *****. I looked at that pic of you by that water heater you installed and you look like a total hick *** dropout. You *****, what was school to hard for the little plumber? Its dipshits like you that ruin the trade. You seem to think you know it all in your responses but you really suck at you job and probally learned all your info from home depots "Plumbing for *******s". Go finish your education you hick *** prick.
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by UA22PLumberdude View Post
                          I don't wanna sound negative here,but I think swing joints look terrible...and definatly would have avoided them in this install.

Our inspectors require us to pipe in these silly "heat traps" on both sides of the tank,kinda looks like s-traps made from 90s.Anyone else run into this?
                          Could you take a pic of those heat traps you talk about?

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          I won't you hurt you too bad

just a couple of things.....

5 ball valves for a water heater install is excessive prints called for it

1 too many gauges (unless the schematics call for these) see above, where would the best location be for 1 thermometer? On the tempered side?

The wells won't read the water temp accurately at their current location What would have been a better way to run the lines or is the below comment the only suggestion?

Top of the heater outlet where the 90 is should have been a tee with temp well on top point well taken, definently do it your way next time.

I prefer a round temp. gauges with a soldered well way less money than a verticle glass style engineer tells us what to put in

Relief valve is on the side of heater or in the middle between the hot & cold?
                          On the side, just a typical PRV with a piece of 3/4" copper running straight down
                          Could have put the well there say again?

Can't read the dial on the mixing valve without standing on your head You can't see it in the pics but the tempering valve has a number indicator on the front

Where's your vacuum relief? You got me on this, what do you mean?
                          Thanks Bill for the critism and I really mean that. I didn't post these pics to stroke my ego. I never worked with other civilian plumbers before. I did plumbing for the navy or by myself as a sub, so no one ever challenged me to do better as a plumber. Guys, even if you think your comment is nitpicky, tell me. I need this type of critique to make myself a better plumber.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Aaron, this is my take on Thisold$hithead. He's a loser with nothing better to do. Ignore him and let Josh take care of him.

Why you'd have to pick my thread to sidetrack? You've had 2 or 3 w/h threads, let me have one.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally Posted by ThisOldPlumber
                              Hey Arran you seem life a real douche. Go back to school you *****. I looked at that pic of you by that water heater you installed and you look like a total hick *** dropout. You *****, what was school to hard for the little plumber? Its dipshits like you that ruin the trade. You seem to think you know it all in your responses but you really suck at you job and probally learned all your info from home depots "Plumbing for *******s". Go finish your education you hick *** prick.

Anybody who would send a message like that to Aaron should be immediately banned. The guy seems more than a little "off"......I only say this after reading this thread and looking at his previous posts on other threads......

His comments thud like cement hitting the ground........and have less validity/interest.
                              Last edited by tinmack; 04-09-2008, 07:39 PM.
                              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Sorry Ben, let's get back to plumbing.

How come you didn't teach your apprentice your 'soldering trick'?

I love that trick now that you've told me about it.
                                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Working...
                                X