X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elementary question i am sure...

but i need help with this one. my wife and i bought an older home, from the original owner. house was built in the 50's adn as such has mostly galvanized pipe throughout. as we are changing fixtures and such we are finding a lot of pipe, which we expected, to have a lot of build up inside. so i find myself replacing a lot of pipe with copper. i have come across something i need some advice on. i need to run new supply lines to my bathroom sink. i have 3/4" coming in. the hot side has been redone some years ago, and the plumber ran 3/4 up and took it down to 1/2 right before the supply valve to the sink. the cold side goes down to 1/2 at the supply line in the basement running 1/2 inch up to the supply valve under the sink. i understand the theory, 3/4 to 1/2 which gives you your pressure. my question is which way is the correct way to do it? 3/4 up to the sink, or 3/4 to 1/2 off the main line and 1/2 up to the sink?

thanks

ed
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Ed: As long as the bathroom sink is the only fixture on the line, the National Standard Plumbing Code says that you can run a branch line of 3/8". I personally would run a 1/2" line off your main to the sink. I hope this helps you. Any other questions, I will check back here to this posting. Jim

Comment

well i guess i erred on the side of caution. removed the galvanized pipe and tied into the supply lines with 3/4 inch copper. ran that all the way up and put a 3/4 to 3/4 to 1/2 "t" in. ran the supply valves to the sink off the 1/2 inch side about 12 inches down from the riser. the only other thing that cold water line is the toilet which i ran the same way without a riser.
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Ed: I replied to your email.....but I wanted to let you know that there was nothing wrong with how you did the job....Good work! If you need anything else please let me know. [img]smile.gif[/img] Jim

Comment

Working...
        X