Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: does this tool work

Originally posted by MR.WRENCH View Post
    you don't need any special tool for that, the fastest way is to cut that pipe 1 inch alway from the hub of the fitting, take your torch, and heat the inside of the pipe. use your channel lock, and peel the pipe right out of the fitting. trust me i have that same tool in 3", 2", and 1 1/2 and it's a waste of time.
    thanks for all the replies they are very help full and i may look into some of them .

now about mr wrench idea how hot do you get the pipe before it comes out
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

The one pictured in this thread is a
      Pasco Ram Bit, I wouldn't waste your money on the Pasco as the steel cutting blade is too thin and strips out when it catches on pipe, lucky to get one use out of one.http://pascospecialty.com/catalog/PASCO_CATALOG_C.pdf
      I have used them in the past and would say for a throw away one time useage tool it should do the job for you and maybe if you have a welder you might be able to tack weld the rings to the shaft to get more use out of them??
      ________
      Magic Flight Launch Box Review
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:57 PM.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
        The one pictured in this thread is a
        Pasco Ram Bit, I wouldn't waste your money on the Pasco as the steel cutting blade is too thin and strips out when it catches on pipe, lucky to get one use out of one.http://pascospecialty.com/catalog/PASCO_CATALOG_C.pdf
        I have used them in the past and would say for a throw away one time useage tool it should do the job for you and maybe if you have a welder you might be able to tack weld the rings to the shaft to get more use out of them??
        I'll admit you're not going to get a life time's use from these things, but for the rare accasions you need one they work just fine, and they're very inexpensive. As for torching the pipe, that only works if the joint is fresh.
        sigpic

Comment

rick we have the pipe hogs but have had mixed luck with them as they at times seem to take too much out of the fitting a leave us with a out of round hub or take to much skin off the joint and leave a very loose fit. the directions that come with them are vague at best, but they do cut the pipe out fast, we use a hole hog to drive them on low gear, if there is a better way or something were not doing correctly, sure would appreciate some feed back. we got ours when they first came out.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            As for torching the pipe, that only works if the joint is fresh.
            not true. i' ve done this trick in renovations, and my own house that was 5 years old when i decided to remodel it. i wouldn't even waste my time doing this trick on a fresh joint, i just stick the back my hammer in the pipe, and pry it out.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
              thanks for all the replies they are very help full and i may look into some of them .

now about mr wrench idea how hot do you get the pipe before it comes out

it depends on your torch tip. i use a # 4 turbo tip, and it take about 10 seconds (on pvc foamcore) to peel half the the pipe. reheat, and peel the rest. just don't put the flame directly on the pipe. you gotta rotate flame inside the pipe so you don't burn the pipe. takes some practice, but it's a very good trick to know.
              Last edited by MR.WRENCH; 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I have the 1-1/2" & 2" bits, they work in a serious pinch as a last resort, but both Adam and Aero1 pointed out the same gripe I have with them...the tend to gouge the hub and leave it oversized.
                I a situation where the only other option is to rip open a new wall they definitely come in handy.
                I think if/when I ever have to do it again I may try Mr Wrench's trick.

Comment

I've have the 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" of the type pictured in the original post. I also have a set, I think by Dawn Industries, of 1/2" to 1" that have a much thicker guide and cutter.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I tried the Pasco version once, and it stripped on the first use.

As to using a torch inside a pipe - don't be real suprised to find out that plastic burns and that the air current going up the vent is great for boosting the flame.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.WRENCH View Post
                      it depends on your torch tip. i use a # 4 turbo tip, and it take about 10 seconds (on pvc foamcore) to peel half the the pipe. reheat, and peel the rest. just don't put the flame directly on the pipe. you gotta rotate flame inside the pipe so you don't burn the pipe. takes some practice, but it's a very good trick to know.
                      I've been using that trick for a while. Usually works good even on old pipe. once in a while I've cracked a hub trying it I've used the pasco 2 times the 1st time it worked perfect and I thought it was the greatest tool ever made the 2nd time the cutter stripped. since then I've used the torch and peal method.

Comment

If the torch method works than who ever prepped the joint in the first place did a real crappy job. A properly prepared solvent joint will not come apart after the glue sets.
                        sigpic

Comment

If the torch method works than who ever prepped the joint in the first place did a real crappy job. A properly prepared solvent joint will not come apart after the glue sets.
                          I have seen the torch trick used before and it scares me.

I use a good quality heat gun. Takes a few minutes longer but always works for me up to 3" hub. Over that you just can't get the joint warm enough to soften the weld.

Much harder to do with a joint that was primed versus one that wasn't but it does come apart. You just have to make sure the hub is returned to it's original round shape before it cools and hardens.

Great for removing broken PVC closet flanges that are glued onto a street 90. The drill device won't work in this instance

Comment

when i started this thread i did not think there were many plumbers out there that did this . i thought just cutting it out and pitting new in was the way to go .
                            thanks for all the replays and ideas i will have to brake a pipe and try it out
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I disagree with that statement. It may be more difficult, but it will still come apart.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                                when i started this thread i did not think there were many plumbers out there that did this . i thought just cutting it out and pitting new in was the way to go .
                                thanks for all the replays and ideas i will have to brake a pipe and try it out
                                Sometimes cutting out a fitting means busting up cement or drywall. I'll try a lot before I do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X