X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater Stands?

Do you put all tank water heaters on stands?

J.C.

Re: Water Heater Stands?

Only if the code requires it. They are much easier to replace if they are not on a stand.

Comment

Been told by inspectors/continuing ed. that ALL gas tank water heaters go on stands. Even with FVIR. And any electric where flammable liquids can be stored near it must go on a stand also.

Creates huge problems when going to older places for replacement.

Ex. Gas water heater in a low basement. Gotta put it on a stand. Often can't put it in without remodeling the house.

J.C.

Comment

We are required to put them in the garage.In commercial service/supply/mop rooms we raise them up to keep the pilot away from settling cleaning solvent fumes.

That inspector's lucky he didn't make that call out here.

Comment

What Adam said plus now any appliance or equipment which generates a spark or flame must be 18" off the floor in a garage. That includes washers and dryers.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            What Adam said plus now any appliance or equipment which generates a spark or flame must be 18" off the floor in a garage. That includes washers and dryers.

Mark
            So,if an electric motor's magnets and armiture make a spark the bottom of a washing machine must be 18".
            These machines are not designed to be put on a platform.I'd like to see some of our senoirs pull wet clothes out of their top loaders on a platform.

Sure,the expensive front loaders can be.

What a coinsidence.

Comment

Gas water heaters in a garage need to be on an 18" stand, not electric. I have never heard of or seen an electric washer and dryer on a stand in a garage (maybe a new code?) and I don't recall anything about a stand in the UPC required for basements.
              Last edited by Birddoggiest; 04-11-2008, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Source of ignition needs to be 18" off the ground. National mechanical code, national fuel gas code.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X