What do we make?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do we make?

When I owned my shop I paid myself $20.00 an hour to start, worked up to $30.00 after a couple of years. I took owner draws as well. I went back to work for an other because of what our scale is. No more billing or invoicing, I just spin wrenches. I am probably an ideal employee because I know what it's like from the owner's perspective. I guess I started this because I was thinking about moving to Arizona and wanted to know how much plumbers make out there, or to realize how good I have it here. I am not bragging on how much I make, it's the union that negotiates it. The hacks in my local make as much as me.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      You got mental problems and I hope you're the same person. Otherwise that means you've spread your genes and dumbed down the human race. So much for evolution, I guess some slip through the cracks.
      Yea, well my dad can beat up your dad....
      sigpic

Comment

Maybe this could be the start of the STUPIDEST thread of the year awards.

We don't plumb for the money. We plumb for the sheer thrill of it all.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
          I have worked for a national brand for 6 years. Commision all the way except for special projects. Their comm schedule starts at 21% and goes to 29% and add 1% for 5 years and 2% for license and 1% for training. So I would top out at 32%. But 32% of no calls is $0.00 paycheck. The last 2 years I worked for them I grossed $73k. Now I'm starting my own company and I will keep 100% after parts. I should atleast turn that 73 to a 173.

I'm going for that new rolls.

thats probally about right...i made about $150,000 last year working about 4-5 hours a day(about three jobs a day average).....which is VERY-LOW compared to alot of my other buddies on the Drain-Cleaning board....i just bought the trailor jetter last July and i can see the light!!!....i should top out around $200,000 at the end of this year!!....depends on how many maintence contracts i get with the jetter

Comment

first time poster here. great forum. Union member here out of jersey, think the rate is about 46 an hour not including fringes----total package about 70.

Comment

can i borrow a dollar?

Comment

I'm not really sure what my job title is anymore. Somewhere in the field of residential serviceman, the bosses helper, hvac helper, and I pretty much run the residential jobs. When I was doing commercial work, I made the mistake of telling another apprentice what I made. I know better now.
                But as someone above mentioned, there is a lot to be said for health insurance, 401k, taking a truck home every night and working for a good boss. Sure, I don't make near as much as I should but for only being in it for 2-3 years, I think I do ok. I quit college in December and look at what other kids my age do for a living and ugh...

Comment

I'm only about one year into my business, so most of the money goes right back into it...still growing the baby business. My personal income was higher when I worked for someone else!
                  But personal satisfaction is about a million times better running my own show. And I know eventually once its established it'll be worth it financially too.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

union plumber/pipefitter here in Colorado, 2nd year with 3 years experience. 14.36 and hour plus 5.00 an hour per diem if over sixty miles from the hall. not hard to do in colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by hiler_411 View Post
                      union plumber/pipefitter here in Colorado, 2nd year with 3 years experience. 14.36 and hour plus 5.00 an hour per diem if over sixty miles from the hall. not hard to do in colorado.
                      thats not much at all
                      not a 100% sure but union here gets over 30 an hr
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

He is a second year apprentice. That's not bad cabbage.

Comment

Working...
                        X