Surfin' in sewage.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfin' in sewage.

I had my fun for the week. Came in to the shop this morning and the boss had a leak in a crawlspace for me.
    I got to the house and as soon as I walked into the kitchen, I could smell it. Pulled up the hatch to the crawlspace and swan-dove in to the pool.
    I found an old line that had been partially replaced during what looked like a kitchen renovation. Apparently the plumber who came in before me forgot to cap off a 2" cast wye that was looking up. (Must have been for the old kitchen sink.)
    I laid some cardboard down, crawled over and capped it off. Luckily since the wye had been pouring water out of itself for ??? long the water made a depression in the ground and most of it sat there. I got out with a wet sleeve. There was easily two inches or so sitting there. Gotta love the gray bubbles.

Re: Surfin' in sewage.

and homeowners wonder we dont work for free, and everything looks the same over the phone, and it will just take 15 min to fix and my personal favorite is if you do a good job and give me a good price you will be my plumber forever, goes to show what you did for the cause no complaints and probably no compliments either and forgotten as soon as the front door shut[yea today was not a good one]hooray for us plumbers the unmentioned warriors facing all evils just to keep the sh#t flowing

Comment

Originally posted by aero1 View Post
      if you do a good job and give me a good price you will be my plumber forever...and you'll make no money from me forever.
      I never negotiate, its bad business.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee too!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I 2nd the no negotiate. Then that customer is referring you to one of their friends and telling them that if they sweet talk you, you will negotiate the price. Stand firm on your prices.
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

i have come accross countless uncapped lines when i do home inspections or worse when the main plugs and their in the same boat as you had.

amazing how simple it is to properly cap a line.

$3.00 cap and thousands in water/ sewage damage.

typically i will not go under if there is standing sewage i have to crawl.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I have seen multiple times where the lines were capped with jim caps and blew off.

Never use a Jim Cap under a house to cap and old line.

I use a no-hub, section of ABS, and an FIP, or fitting type c/o adapter and n/h.

Maybe the caps were there and they just blew off.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                Never use a Jim Cap under a house to cap and old line.
                Robert,

What's a "Jim Cap"?

Tracy

Comment

a jim cap is an all rubber cap with a stainless hose clamp.

typically used on an end of line cleanout.

instead of a no hub band and blind plug.

they easily hold a 10' head test.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    a jim cap is an all rubber cap with a stainless hose clamp.

typically used on an end of line cleanout.

instead of a no hub band and blind plug.

they easily hold a 10' head test.

rick.
                    Thanks Rick.

I use those all the time.

I would rather use those instead of a no hub coupling with a blind plug.

Because it's only 1 worm gear clamp that can go bad versus 2 on the no hub coupling.

Tracy

Comment

plus they are much easier to get off after many years of being on the pipe.

a no hub and blind plug is more difficult to reuse the band as the rubber tends to be dry and after others have removed the plug, they tend to crush the band.

when i jet out building sub terrainian garages, the blind plugs / bands that have been reused multiple times are trashed. the jim caps are reusable. a no hub band is more expensive than a jim cap.

all i like to use outside are jim caps as the home owner can easily remove them with a screwdriver or 5/16'' nut driver. and if push came to shove, a knife if they are in a bind.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X