X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How can we "Green" up our industry?

we found out in the early 70's that solar water heating was a good tax incentive, but not a good money saver.

how many solar heaters are still in operation and over the cost of installation and replacement parts, are still in operation and seeing a savings

i would like to install solar electric panels at my shop. i have a large roof doing nothing and i don't mind spending the money (20k)

problem is, the power co. will not pay me back for any excess power i produce. my current water and power bill is approx. $18.00 a month with all the taxes. i'm not there much and out of the $18.00 only $1.00 is actual power use. less than 10kwh a month

so for me to install a system right now with no payback from the power company would be a waste of money.

if, they pay for excess power produced, i would then do the math and have a good payback plan, plus a write off to boot.

give me an incentive to spend my money and i will produce clean power for others to use.

rick.

i have a customer that spent 160k on his system for his high end furniture shop. he installed 90% of it himself, even getting his contractors license just for this and his house. even though he saves $5,000 a month on power. he produces more and is not compensated for the excess. so his payback is less than 3 years which is great. but down the road his panels will become less efficient and will start to drop off. along with his inverters that put out 3 phase.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
      You're kidding right? Are we now a communist nation?
      So what is your solution?

Its a lot easier to criticize other people's ideas than it is to come of up with your own viable solutions.
      Last edited by Service Guy; 04-16-2008, 02:45 PM.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

And Rick, guess what's coming back with a vengence. You guess it, solar. It was'nt cost effective twenty years ago and it's not cost effective today either. But that won't stop people from wasting their money. god bless them.

There's a sucker born every minute. P.T. Barnham
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
          So what is your solution?

Its a lot easier to criticize other people's ideas than it is to come of up with your own viable solutions.

So let me get this straight, the more children you have the higher your taxes? Or if you have over x amount of kids you are charged a surcharge/tax?

Solution to what service guy? Solution to global warming? climate change? acid rain? Ice age? what is it goin to be this week? You want a solution, smaller government and keep the government out of our lives, stop unnecessary spending like useless government assistance programs.

We can go green all we want, other countries/nations arent going to do the same anyway so whats the use? Make up new taxes as we go along?

Yeah it's just what we need, higher taxes, keep taxing the businesses untill they all go to china, india and every where else that is giving tax breaks. With the corporations goes the jobs. Maybe you feel we need new/higher taxes, I dont.

Comment

So let me get this straight, the more children you have the higher your taxes? Or if you have over x amount of kids you are charged a surcharge/tax?

Solution to what service guy? Solution to global warming? climate change? acid rain? Ice age? what is it goin to be this week? You want a solution, smaller government and keep the government out of our lives, stop unnecessary spending like useless government assistance programs.

We can go green all we want, other countries/nations arent going to do the same anyway so whats the use? Make up new taxes as we go along?

Yeah it's just what we need, higher taxes, keep taxing the businesses untill they all go to china, india and every where else that is giving tax breaks. With the corporations goes the jobs. Maybe you feel we need new/higher taxes, I dont.
            Environmental issues. Air and water pollution, ever-increasing landfills, etc.
            Thats what this thread is about.
            What do you propose to do about it? Or you just don't care. I am not saying higher taxes is the answer, but hopefully there are some solutions out there. And denying the ever-increasing pollution isn't going to make it go away.
            Last edited by Service Guy; 04-16-2008, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              New Hampshire is around 2" short of record snow fall since the 18 hundreds. Its global warming. Last summer we had record heat. It's global warming. Back in the 70's when I was in college they were all warning of the coming ice age. Why do we listen to and believe these HACKS. I am so damn sick of this debate and because of my position at a public high school I am inundated with the crap all the time from brain dead liberals who truley believe that man should be eradicated from the earth so that all the furry little animals can live in peace. Though because they drive a Hybrid, eat rabbit food, wear sandals and watch PBS their lives will naturally be spared.
              Elitist bastards all of them, who should be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Now THAT was an awsum post!

Comment

To do my part I recycle all glass, cardboard, plastic and metal. In my business and personal use. Its not much, but its my own personal contribution to keep the earth from becoming one giant landfill.

I keep wondering what is going to happen when the world runs out of oil? That will be scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  Environmental issues. Air and water pollution, ever-increasing landfills, etc.
                  Thats what this thread is about.
                  What do you propose to do about it? Or you just don't care. I am not saying higher taxes is the answer, but hopefully there are some solutions out there. And denying the ever-increasing pollution isn't going to make it go away.

I thought the post was named "greening up our industry" not what are we going to do about landfills, air pollution and water pollution.

What do I plan on doing about it? I plan on following the law like I have to.

So if you're so worried about the enviroment, I guess you dont use pvc, cpvc, primers, glues and any other type of plastic including hangars and any other hardware do you? As Dunbar stated the half-life of this stuff is unbelievably long.

What is your work vehicle? A VW bug or a Toyota hybrid? Or some type of pick up or van?

Do you car pool when you go places? Do you only use one square of t.p. when you go to the bathroom?

Do you flush the toilet after every 3 pee's?

Sounds rediculous right?

Well. what say you? Do you walk the walk or just talk the talk?

How about those booties on your feet in the picture do you recycle them????

And do you use those channell locks on shut-off's, faucets and other chrome?
                  Last edited by Masterplumb; 04-16-2008, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I thought the post was named "greening up our industry" not what are we going to do about landfills, air pollution and water pollution.
                    Doing something about our plumbing business waste IS greening up our industry.

Comment

Sorry instead of saying the goverment needs to i should have said they would have too. im not a tree hugger in any way but its common sense though look how much waste one person produces in a year than multiply that by 75 years than multiply that by the 4 children they have. people dont react until it cost them money. you take a person that has 4 kids that they cant afford to pay child care for, so they get on state assistance and stay home all day raising our taxes any way. its cheaper for them to stay home. why not do the opposite give people an insentive to work to make money not have more kids to make money.
                      Mike
                      Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                      www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                        Sorry instead of saying the goverment needs to i should have said they would have too. im not a tree hugger in any way but its common sense though look how much waste one person produces in a year than multiply that by 75 years than multiply that by the 4 children they have. people dont react until it cost them money. you take a person that has 4 kids that they cant afford to pay child care for, so they get on state assistance and stay home all day raising our taxes any way. its cheaper for them to stay home. why not do the opposite give people an insentive to work to make money not have more kids to make money.
                        I guess its me, but I dont understand your logic. Because I have 4 kids I should pay an enviromental tax or something? Im sorry, I just cant comprehend those liberal views. Thats right up there with wealth redistribution, universal health care, and reverend Wright.

Comment

how much polution does a hybrid car save? how much energy does a solar furnace save? its not compareable to the amount of pollution another body produces, you may not be concerned with global warming or pollution but you will soon be the minority on that. but some day the goverment will realize alternative fuel and high efficiency appliances are not enough. if you paid tax on your 4th kid would you have still had him?
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                            If you don't want people to create waste in landfills don't tax children tax waste. In some cities you have to buy special garbage bags to put your trash out in. In others you have to buy a sticker every year for every trash can you use. Charge for the result not what you think is the cause! Also after 18 years, my kids will be productive members of society; and will pay those taxes on their own. I am all for cutting government assistance to people, that doesn't mean you need to tax kids.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                              If you don't want people to create waste in landfills don't tax children tax waste. In some cities you have to buy special garbage bags to put your trash out in. In others you have to buy a sticker every year for every trash can you use. Charge for the result not what you think is the cause! Also after 18 years, my kids will be productive members of society; and will pay those taxes on their own. I am all for cutting government assistance to people, that doesn't mean you need to tax kids.
                              This is the kind of solution that leads to garbage getting tossed on the side of the road.
                              sigpic

Comment

i just think you have to find the source of problems. and until humans change we are the problem. we've only been here for a blink of and eye compared to the age of the planet. and look at the outcome. cars are one of the biggest in polution and look what they have done in 100 years. this worlds gonna be to small real quick.
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X