X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can we "Green" up our industry?

I was recently asked this question and I replied with "energy efficient" appliances and recirc systems.

What are some other ideas? Materials we use and "green" alternatives, energy efficiency, water savings etc.
    Brent

Re: How can we "Green" up our industry?

Go back to all metallic piping for water and drainage. All of it is recyclable for the most part and can be reused again and again and again.

Plastic has a horrible devastation to the impact of the enviornment.

Has ZERO value when it's removed or discarded from homes in varied uses from plumbing to other aspects.

I come from an era where you hunted for aluminum cans because they weighed enough to be worth collecting for money,

soft drink bottles were refunded if you found them on the streets/garbage.

Even newspapers if you filled 3 basements up, was a potential for value.

Plastics take forever to degrade......now you know why they are trying to bring the simple paper bag back; they now realize those bags from 20 years ago are not breaking down.

The leaking 1/2" CPVC joint I have to rework friday, along with the piece of **** plastic 3/4" main shutoff that has not a chance of closing, will have no value when I replace it copper.

Those two pieces will not degrade for probably a couple hundred years....probably longer.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post
      I was recently asked this question and I replied with "energy efficient" appliances and recirc systems.

What are some other ideas? Materials we use and "green" alternatives, energy efficiency, water savings etc.
      I agree with the energy efficient appliances.I dont like waste but I am not one of these save the enviroment guys.

I dont believe global warming is man made.

I like having my shower with 8 body sprays and 2 shower heads running at the same time, and oh my god, I even took the flow restrictors out!

I drive a Lincoln Navigator that gets 9mpg and my Ford van gets about 6mpg.

Comment

Grey water reclaimation, storm water harvesting, drain water heat recovery, geoexchange heating and cooling, energy recovery ventilators...
        You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Green cleaning chemicals:-)

Geothermal heating and cooling HVAC and Plumbing.

Europe uses 4 cyl service trucks due to gas prices... Is that the direction we are going?

Comment

Dunbar has a good point about the plastic pipe but I'll find other work before I thread 2" galvanized pipe again

I was working in a new "GREEN" house last month. Loads of recycled materials used. 3 times the amount of money to build and none of the recycled raw materials were readily available so took 3 years to build.

The house that stood there before this one?.....went to the landfill
            not so green now is it?

Troubleshooting a customer installed programmable thermostat I casually asked where the old mercury one was now. "oh I tossed that in the trash"
            Great lady, you saved yourself a few dollars each month on gas but poisoned a thousand fish. Now I won't be able to enjoy my tuna steak tonight.

We are easily 10 years behind the europeans in terms of efficiency levels of our boilers. Lots of improvement needs to be made there. I believe higher fuel costs are a wakeup call and we better pay attention this time. We americans seem to have a short term memory after an energy crisis.

Comment

Before "going green" lots of unbiased research should be done. Many of the so called green solutions cause more problems than they solve. Most of this global warming trend is a huge marketing scam making bocu bucks for guys that don't give a damn about the environment.
              sigpic

Comment

Interesting topic. Certainly the buzz in the industry. Hard to walk down a trade show aisle or read a trade publication without seeing reference to "green." I've been looking at the Green Plumbers association. It started in Australia and is making inroads in the US. The gist is that they offer a certification course. Upon completion, you are considered and can advertise as a green plumber. Has anyone looked at this or do you think there is any value in the program? Link is below for reference. Thanks in advance for any insight here.

http://www.greenplumbersusa.com/

Comment

doing my part.... I put in a septic system when I built my house, now I have green all over the yard
                  Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Before "going green" lots of unbiased research should be done. Many of the so called green solutions cause more problems than they solve. Most of this global warming trend is a huge marketing scam making bocu bucks for guys that don't give a damn about the environment.
                    We have the same in Australia we are offered green power from wind turbins but I like mine from dirty brown coal as I want to have a beach frontage in one hundred thousand years, what is happening has happed many time before on earth over the millions of years it has been here it is nothing new and there are big bucks in it and we the suck at the bottom will pay for it in higher energy costs.

Tony

Comment

if people want to go green the goverment needs to start taxing on the amount of kids you have. more kids more taxes. if people continue to multiply themselves six times over and there kids and there kids. do the math it doesnt matter how efficient we are. medicine keeps getting better and more people are living longer. we are running out of room. is it going to effect us probably not and probably not our 12 kids. but it will happen soon
                      Mike
                      Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                      www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                        if people want to go green the goverment needs to start taxing on the amount of kids you have. more kids more taxes. if people continue to multiply themselves six times over and there kids and there kids. do the math it doesnt matter how efficient we are. medicine keeps getting better and more people are living longer. we are running out of room. is it going to effect us probably not and probably not our 12 kids. but it will happen soon
                        You're kidding right? Are we now a communist nation?

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                          You're kidding right? Are we now a communist nation?
                          There are European academics who have proposed just that, tax on kids. The whole "green" thing is just a scam to tax us more. I don't beleive in man-made global warming, and I certainly don't think that America is at fault; like a lot of people do. Americans have actually had a slower rate of CO2 emissions increase than Kyoto countries.

I am of the opinion that the greenest way to do something is usually the cheapest way to do it when you consider property rights. Simple example, if I dump something into a river it is cheaper than disposing of it properly; but my downstream neighbor should then be able to sue me out of existence to clean it up properly; because I damaged their property. Thus, it would have been cheaper to dispose of it properly in the first place.

Comment

New Hampshire is around 2" short of record snow fall since the 18 hundreds. Its global warming. Last summer we had record heat. It's global warming. Back in the 70's when I was in college they were all warning of the coming ice age. Why do we listen to and believe these HACKS. I am so damn sick of this debate and because of my position at a public high school I am inundated with the crap all the time from brain dead liberals who truley believe that man should be eradicated from the earth so that all the furry little animals can live in peace. Though because they drive a Hybrid, eat rabbit food, wear sandals and watch PBS their lives will naturally be spared.
                            Elitist bastards all of them, who should be first against the wall when the revolution comes.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              Though because they drive a Hybrid, eat rabbit food, wear sandals and watch PBS their lives will naturally be spared.
                              Don't forget that their more expensive Hybrid has very expensive batteries, which are SOOO environmentally friendly to produce. Hybrids don't come close to annoying me as much carbon credits. Let me spend money to assuage my guilt, and force everyone else in the world to do the same!

I do watch PBS every week to see Norm build something.

Comment

Working...
                              X