X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Thermal Expansion Tanks

Just curious to know how others install Expansion tanks. Common practice in my area is either with a galv nipple in the cold side with a tee or a tee soldered in with coppper and a FA. I personally prefer the galv nipple and tee. It seems to be a littler more rigid. However, i am not crazy about installing galvanized pipe or fittings. Any time that i install with copper i always strap it with banding iron, but that looks like crap.

Re: Installing Thermal Expansion Tanks

I use brass nipples or copper.

Either one is rigid enough.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Check if your supply house has 3/4" tank tee's, it's a 3/4" sweat by 3/4" sweat by 3/4" fpt tee. Nice fitting.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

we use a brass 3/4" sweat x 3/4" F.I.P Tank Tee and screw the tank into the tee as the tanks we use a 3/4" M.I.P adpt. If the tee is on the vertical piping we will strap up the tank to support it. Also I don't think it wise to to use galvanized nipples with copper, you should think about using brass instead!
        ________
        Og kush pictures
        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:58 PM.
        Mike

Comment

All expansion tanks here use a mpt so a pipe nipple couldn't be done without a coupling. Never seen that fitting Aaron is talking about, sounds nice.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

http://www.plumberscrib.com/Departme...ees-CxCxF.aspx

Just to clear up any confusion. I think that one there's 1/2" too, but you get the idea.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Never seen one of those in copper, always brass in my neck of the woods.

I always install between the cold water inlet valve and the top of the heater, always strapped. I have to strap them because I was responsible for the governing body to enforce the strapping of tanks in Kentucky.

So all the new construction plumbers in the entire state can blame me for having them suffer to spend .50 on a roll or metallic strapping.

I love it.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                Never seen one of those in copper, always brass in my neck of the woods.

I always install between the cold water inlet valve and the top of the heater, always strapped. I have to strap them because I was responsible for the governing body to enforce the strapping of tanks in Kentucky.

So all the new construction plumbers in the entire state can blame me for having them suffer to spend .50 on a roll or metallic strapping.

I love it.
                I understand how to strap one in the horizontal postion but what about the vertical postion? How are you supposed to do that?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I think that Aaron is referring to a fitting made out of cast copper or brass such as the NIBCO #712-3/4. Please see picture. In addition I found the same by Elkhart Products as their #A61538
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Woussko; 04-17-2008, 02:52 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

Yes sir I was.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

That's a nice fittin and all, but I prefer a regular Copper tee, a short piece of pipe, and a Fem Adapter. Then use a 3/4" copper split ring with 3/8" threaded rod on the short piece of pipe to support the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                        I think that Aaron is referring to a fitting made out of cast copper or brass such as the NIBCO #712-3/4. Please see picture. In addition I found the same by Elkhart Products as their #A61538
                        Would'nt it be great if they made those as a cross fitting. Then you could put the vac relief on the top.

Oh hell, there goes another patent idea.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweatthepipe View Post
                          That's a nice fittin and all, but I prefer a regular Copper tee, a short piece of pipe, and a Fem Adapter. Then use a 3/4" copper split ring with 3/8" threaded rod on the short piece of pipe to support the tank.
                          Your not really supporting the tank if the split ring is attached to the copper stub, but you are supporting that stub. If the tank fails and fills with water and the tank itself is not strapped it could fail at the weld between the 3/4" male adpt and the tank and break off at that point.
                          ________
                          Hawaii Medical Marijuana Dispensary
                          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:59 PM.
                          Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X