Backflow Testing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backflow Testing

I have had an Illinois CCCDI since 2006. It's issued by the Illinois EPA. It's a 32 hour class. The cost then was $495.00. Testing devices at one factory in Chicago has led to probably 30K worth of work there over 4 years.
    In Illinois, only licensed plumbers or municipal water plant workers can take the course.

Comment

We were going to get certified but when told the price people were charging for testing we dropped the idea. The avg. price in our location for testing is $45. By the time you take to drive to the job test the device fill out the paper work and mail it in to the state we would rather clean out a drain or repair a water closet and make $150.
      Mike

Comment

The actual test takes less than 10 minutes, it is everything else that eats up your time

I charge $ 150.00 for an RPZ test. I occasionally track my time to and from the job site, test time and paperwork time, plus the wait for the on site personnel to show you the work plus the time waiting for alarms to be turned off and reset on fire sprinkler lines.

Frequently that $ 150.00 turns out to be cheap, sometimes right on, never is it too much. Annual certification of the test kit is $ 90.00 and there are other costs involved. Some fools around here charge $ 65.00- $80.00. They can have it.

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
          The actual test takes less than 10 minutes, it is everything else that eats up your time

I charge $ 150.00 for an RPZ test. I occasionally track my time to and from the job site, test time and paperwork time, plus the wait for the on site personnel to show you the work plus the time waiting for alarms to be turned off and reset on fire sprinkler lines.

Frequently that $ 150.00 turns out to be cheap, sometimes right on, never is it too much. Annual certification of the test kit is $ 90.00 and there are other costs involved. Some fools around here charge $ 65.00- $80.00. They can have it.
          I don't know about there but here when you take a fire suppression system offline to test, your insurance is now in control so, if that's the case then I am going to be like you and charge accordingly and if they don't like it then find somebody else...let somebody else test it, have a fire and be liable....IMO
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Our charge is 175 per industrial/commercial device. if there are multiples, we adjust the price.

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post

This is the reason why I never wanted to get certified in the first place. If I'm correct to take the test is like $700.00 and guys around here are charging $65.00 - $85.00 to test the units. My buddy does it, and he doesn't get many requests for it cause of the low ball price around here.

If I'm correct, don't you have to recert. every year as well for a few hundred dollars?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                This is the reason why I never wanted to get certified in the first place. If I'm correct to take the test is like $700.00 and guys around here are charging $65.00 - $85.00 to test the units. My buddy does it, and he doesn't get many requests for it cause of the low ball price around here.

If I'm correct, don't you have to recert. every year as well for a few hundred dollars?
                Here its every three years...

Derek

Comment

Seems fair to me ..
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                    Seems fair to me ..
                    In 2000 I went to get certified the first time....Class 500.00 for a week, hotel for a week, three meals a day for a week...not working for a week....Then buying the test kit 400.00-500.00...So just to say I could test back flows 2000.00.....But at this point its 1/4 of my business...

Derek

Comment

I'm signed up, tried to get into the May class but couldn't. Out of the twenty spaces thirty have been filled. ( I offered the instructor $XXX.XX to squeeze me in, no dice) So August it is, real close to $600.00 bucks. One guy in my area who works for the city is certified.
                      Part of that $600.00 is some Utah state cert. that I wasn't real clear on.

Comment

I had tried to get into the USC-Foundation for Cross-Connection Control and Hydraulic Research classes for over a year but they would filled up as soon as they opened. Then in the spring of 1991 I called and missed it again but the operator told me they would be teaching a class in Las Vegas the following week for the Las Vegas Valley Water District. I got permission to be added to the class, canceled all of my work for that week and found a hotel.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Had to get certified to take my journeymans test..Never really got into testing .Starting to rethink that though..Recertify every 3 maybe 4 years now ..There is a fair amout of demand in my area for it..Hell when I took the course in the mid 90's I believe guys were getting atleast $150 a piece for testing..quick easy money..What I might do is build a tree and get a test kit and start practicing since I just don't mess with em.. That way when I do get calls I won't have to carry my notes
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

My buddy has been certified for a few years now, and since he left the Plumbing Union, he doesn't generate enough calls for back flow testing. He loses some jobs when he hands out a price of $65.00.

For me, it's not worth it to shell out that money and for the equipment to just sit here and collect dust. Plus my father said in 40 years, he's never got a call for any type of back flow testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                              My buddy has been certified for a few years now, and since he left the Plumbing Union, he doesn't generate enough calls for back flow testing. He loses some jobs when he hands out a price of $65.00.

For me, it's not worth it to shell out that money and for the equipment to just sit here and collect dust. Plus my father said in 40 years, he's never got a call for any type of back flow testing.
                              Do you know how many testers there are in your sevice area? Should be able to contact your water purveor and they send you a list..

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                                Do you know how many testers there are in your sevice area? Should be able to contact your water purveor and they send you a list..
                                I don't have hard numbers, but I know there is a lot of Plumbers in my area who do back flow testing. Every time the supply house holds a class, it fills up very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X