• Show
Clear All

• Backflow Testing

1. Who does it?

2. What kit do you use?

3. If you don't why not?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Backflow Testing

I don't do it, and I really don't know the answer to why not...

What are the steps to getting qualified to backflow test?

Maybe a new feather to get for my hat.

Greg

Comment

I've been certified since 1984.
      I do approximately 125 tests every spring and others scattered throughout the year.
      I use a TK9-A.
      It's getting harder to remain certified. Last year I had to drive to Nashville (3.5 hrs) for the test. They had one in Memphis but were not timely in announcing it.
      The biggest selling rp here now is the Wilkins Zurn. It's beating Watts butt in price. My cost about $155.00
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
        I don't do it, and I really don't know the answer to why not...

What are the steps to getting qualified to backflow test?

Maybe a new feather to get for my hat.

Greg
        I just check and Napa County requires AWWA Certificate which requires a 40-hour course. Napa County has a total of 5-tester listed for the entire County.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
          I've been certified since 1984.
          I do approximately 125 tests every spring and others scattered throughout the year.
          I use a TK9-A.
          It's getting harder to remain certified. Last year I had to drive to Nashville (3.5 hrs) for the test. They had one in Memphis but were not timely in announcing it.
          The biggest selling rp here now is the Wilkins Zurn. It's beating Watts butt in price. My cost about $155.00
          What standard are you certified to?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            What standard are you certified to?

Mark
            High standards.

I don't know! Is that important? I took the state test and received certification
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
              High standards.

I don't know! Is that important? I took the state test and received certification
              I'm just curious what areas require what certificates. When I started I went to the USC School and received my AWWA certificate and my ABPA certificate only to find out Los Angeles County did not recognize either and I had to take their test as well.

Then I found out in Valencia the Valencia Water Company did not allow outside testers at all because they wanted to do all of the testing themselves. They finally allowed me to test a new devise I installed for a customer but required their employee stood over my shoulder while I did it.

Mark

Comment

I'm just curious what areas require what certificates. When I started I went to the USC School and received my AWWA certificate and my ABPA certificate only to find out Los Angeles County did not recognize either and I had to take their test as well.

Then I found out in Valencia the Valencia Water Company did not allow outside testers at all because they wanted to do all of the testing themselves. They finally allowed me to test a new devise I installed for a customer but required their employee stood over my shoulder while I did it.

Mark

Wow, that sounds screwed up. Typical government buerocrats (sp?).
                The certification here is administered by the Tennessee Dept. of Environment and Conservation. The license is good statewide and lasts 4 years.

Comment

I've been on a rant about this subject for years now.
                  If you are installing or servicing "testable" backflow preventers of any make or model, and you do not have a tester or don't know how to test, you are pretty much wasting your time. You can clean the crud out of them. Replace the gaskets and parts. Put it all back together and if it does'nt leak, you feel good. But is the device working properly.? Without proper equipment and training, you have no idea. Just because the device ain't leaking don't mean it's working right. Testing equipment is expensive. Over a grand and it goes up from there. We use a watts digital tester and if I remember correctly it cost over three grand. Only two of us in the shop are certified to test and "certify" backflow devices. Getting the equipment and training is worthwile. It can be a good source of income.
                  sigpic

Comment

1. Who does it?

2. What kit do you use?

3. If you don't why not?

Mark

Been certified since 98'

Used to use computer gauges, not mechanical

I stopped testing backflows as fast as I started due to I never ever do commercial work, I'm strictly residential for the most part.

I use that license solely for its knowledge base.

Kentucky here soon is going to require that body of knowledge as a standard certification to become a journeyman plumber.

It should be this way because plumbing is never always positive/forward movement in relation to flow.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Just became certified by state of Ohlo,you must attend state approved training course (24hrs)and be deemed proficient to take the state administered test to be certified.I use a Watts TK9 to test,still have to read the steps but interesting work,should have become certified 15 years ago.In Ohio backflows must be tested yearly.We do a mix of residential and commercial so it helps open doors to other plumbing oportunities.

Comment

Does any one know a good source for repair parts online for backflow devices ? Every place I find is charging list price ?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                          Does any one know a good source for repair parts online for backflow devices ? Every place I find is charging list price ?
                          These guys are great. Ask for Rick, http://testgauge.net/ and Tell him Ron from Archer said to call.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                            I use American Pump and Backflow out of Florida...ship next day..very reasonable on parts, and sent me a awesome catatlog with the breakdown of all the devices...
                            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              These guys are great. Ask for Rick, http://testgauge.net/ and Tell him Ron from Archer said to call.
                              These are the same guys I do bidness with.

Comment

Working...
                              X