3" galvanized

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3" galvanized

I have a customer with a 3" galvanized service coming into her house, maybe 250 feet long I think the pipe is pretty much plugged up because i maybe 5 psi before the pressure reducing valve, as soon as i enters the house. what do you guys think my best way to clean this may be what kind of head on what kind of snake i just want to punch a big enough hole in it to get 1 1/4" copper through because right after it comes into the house it drops down to 1" anyway? any thoughts?

Re: 3" galvanized

If the inside of the pipe is that corroded, it will wear holes in the copper. Dig a new hole.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      I have a customer with a 3" galvanized service coming into her house, maybe 250 feet long I think the pipe is pretty much plugged up because i maybe 5 psi before the pressure reducing valve, as soon as i enters the house. what do you guys think my best way to clean this may be what kind of head on what kind of snake i just want to punch a big enough hole in it to get 1 1/4" copper through because right after it comes into the house it drops down to 1" anyway? any thoughts?

If this is residential and they're using 3" it may be due to the pressure available and the length of the run. I know in certain areas of Scarsdale we have to run 2" because of the available pressure. If there is 3" there now I would want to investigate why. I would probably replace with 2"k copper at a minimum.

Comment

If your guage is reading 5psi before the PRV, then your biggest problem isn't constriction.
        Even if it's constricted, you should still have pressure...low water flow would result from constriction, not low pressure.
        If your getting a low pressure reading...there's another problem altogether, possibly in conjunction with constriction.
        Also..you sure it's a 3" main??
        Did you typo, meaning 3/4"?

Comment

1-1/4" wont do you much good at that distance

You need at least a 2" service and/or a booster pump?

Hoping to poke a hole in rusted up 3" galv with a snake is a pipe dream

Maybe a jetter would clean it?
          Last edited by plumberscrack; 04-17-2008, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Going to assume City / county water (non-well).

I don't think you will get anywhere unless you place a new service.. Your pressure drop with a run that long will be significant so 1 1/4" won't cut it without mechanical assistance.

Dig the hole and put in the new service is good advice

Comment

it is city water master plumb its up in briarcliff, and yes it is 3" how much is 2" k going for these days? that way maybe i can figure the job tonite and give her a price in the morning?

Comment

oh and i cant see a visible leak anywhere checked w/ geophones and just eyeballing no wet spots or soft spots in the ground

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  If your guage is reading 5psi before the PRV, then your biggest problem isn't constriction.
                  Even if it's constricted, you should still have pressure...low water flow would result from constriction, not low pressure.
                  If your getting a low pressure reading...there's another problem altogether, possibly in conjunction with constriction.
                  Also..you sure it's a 3" main??
                  Did you typo, meaning 3/4"?
                  i double duck that

shut off the main at the house and get a pressure reading/ static reading at the house elevation. also get a reading if possible at the meter/ lower elevation.

i assume the 5psi is not static, but residual.

how do they fight fires with only 5 psi at the main?

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

i did that rick that's what im so confused about the neighbors have got plenty of pressure there must be a leak or a full blockage that is preventing us from attaining acceptable pressure. im going to have to just replace it!

Comment

i did that rick that's what im so confused about the neighbors have got plenty of pressure there must be a leak or a full blockage that is preventing us from attaining acceptable pressure. im going to have to just replace it!
                      Perfect...
                      That line was done serving it's purpose long ago.

Just out of curiosity...What is the pressure before the PRV.How fast does it drop when you shut off city supply.Wonder what they have been paying for water.

Comment

i have seen bad water meters that drop off in volume. but pressure is pressure. 1/4'' or a 3'' line has the same static pressure.

so the problem can't be static.

what is the pressure when nothing is running?

what size water meter do you have?

are you 100% sure the meter is 100% open?

how long has this been going on for?

just started or has it been getting worse?

does the meter show any flow when the water is off at the house?

something just doesn't sound right

please answer these questions as nothing really makes sense.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

ok from the beginning i got a complaint of no water pressure i initially thought bad prv i didnt have on in the truck and the s.h. was closed so i took the screen out of it and then turned water back on. still no water pressure so i took the prv out (the meter is after the prv, nothing but pipe betwen the prv and street) and put a pressure guage on and got 5 psi. i took the pressure guage off and the water just kind of glugged out of the line. this problem has only been present 2 days. i went down to the street and checked the curb box, the valve was opened all the way. the neighbor has good water pressure so the problem must be between the curb box and the prv. the only thing i figured since it was galv. it was plugged up inside and possible had some pinholes. so i figured id replace the line. homeowner had hoped due to her gardens under the line that i would not have to dig them up so i initially thought i could pig the line with a snake or something similiar then pull an new copper or poly line though the existing 3" galv. i just dont want to put this line in and then tell the customer that that wasnt the problem, i figure about $2500 to run a new line and if that doesnt solve it i am going to have pissed off customer!

Comment

wrench, what is the pressure at the neighbors house?

what is the head loss from the valve box up to the house. what is the elevation from the street box to the house? what's the pressure at the street?

a drop down test will determine any leak.

the valve box to the house (250') is not metered? so a leak can run and never register?

250' for $2500 is not feasible. unless you can slip line a 2'' into the 3'' is still very cheap. the 3'' was installed for a reason.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

ok from the beginning i got a complaint of no water pressure i initially thought bad prv i didnt have on in the truck and the s.h. was closed so i took the screen out of it and then turned water back on. still no water pressure so i took the prv out (the meter is after the prv, nothing but pipe betwen the prv and street) and put a pressure guage on and got 5 psi. i took the pressure guage off and the water just kind of glugged out of the line. this problem has only been present 2 days. i went down to the street and checked the curb box, the valve was opened all the way. the neighbor has good water pressure so the problem must be between the curb box and the prv. the only thing i figured since it was galv. it was plugged up inside and possible had some pinholes. so i figured id replace the line. homeowner had hoped due to her gardens under the line that i would not have to dig them up so i initially thought i could pig the line with a snake or something similiar then pull an new copper or poly line though the existing 3" galv. i just dont want to put this line in and then tell the customer that that wasnt the problem, i figure about $2500 to run a new line and if that doesnt solve it i am going to have pissed off customer!
                              Interesting diagnostics and pricing.At 250' I don't think there is much I could do for $2500.Certainly nothing having to do with copper.

Comment

Working...
                              X