X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASCO Solenoid Valves

Installed 3 NC ASCO Red Hat solenoids the other day on a water line going into a chrome fume scrubber unit at a local chrome shop. The shop is in a fairly high pressure water location - id say our main after the city meter runs at about 70-80 psi. The valves were working properly until this morning when one valve wouldn't shut off. Took the valve apart - seat intact, no substantial debris. Took the power completely off just to see if this normally closed valve would hold water - water still getting through. Im wondering if you guys have experienced any malfunctioning of these valves when being used at or close to their max. rated pressure (100 psi on this model). Any thoughts? PRV? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by doubleD; 04-18-2008, 01:21 AM.

Re: ASCO Solenoid Valves

70-80 psi isn't a huge amount of pressure. Do those valves have a pressure rating.?
    sigpic

Comment

100 psi max on the model i installed- so you would think 80 psi would be no problem - anyway..i put in a new one today and it held. Just wondering if anybody had similar circumstances

Comment

The only problem we have had is that the Asco 1"solenoid valve was causing a hellacious amount of water shock in the piping. After a lot of "solutions" we installed a slow opening/closing motorized ball valve that seems to have solved the problem. The last problem with the soenoid valve was that it was stuck open.

After rereading your post it sounds like a debris problem not a pressure problem. If it continues, install a why strainer upstream from the valve.

Comment

If that 100 PSI the pressure rating of the valve body or the MAX process pressure that the valve will maintain closure against? IF NC then all you got working for you is the spring pressure to shut the valve right?

Do you have a model number for these valves? I can ask around and look in my maintenance DB for past problems such as you are having. But there are so many different models of ASCO SOVs it would be tough to pin it down w/o a model number.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
          X