X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 RIDGID TOOL PRICING

Just stumbled across an original 1965 ridgid tools catalog no. rt-165 and tool price list no. 719. these list prices were effective july 19, 1965. just thought some of the old timers and youngsters would be interested to see what a buck would buy back then. many items are still made the same as today.

here is a quick list of common prices:
    6'' steel pipe wrench straight or end pattern $2.00
    14'' " " " " " " "$4.10. 18''- $5.80. 60''- $45.00

aluminum handles were also avaliable only in 14''-$5.20. 18''-$7.70. and 24''-$12.35.

a complete set of 12- r threader and ratchet from 1/8'' - 2'' was $96.40.
    a 141 geared threader from 2.5'' - 4'' with dies was $185.85 plus $13.00 for the ratchet handle.

a ratchet soil , snap cutter model 206. $65.00.

#300 electric power drive $230.00 plus stand #1206 was $29.70. a model #535 threader complete wth dies 1/2'' - 2'' was $520.70.

tubing cutters #10 $3.40- #15 $4.35- #20 $7.80.

these are just a few examples of the catalog prices in 1965. if anyone has a specific item# to look up, just ask. i'll look it up. make sure you're sitting down when i post the price.

too bad the ridgid / kollmann drain cleaner prices were not included.
    seesnake cameras were not made till the late 90's.
    propress beginning of 2000.

rick.

[ 09-19-2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

just got my calculator and started computing.. whew! way too cheap.. (am still sitting..)

Comment

in 1965 mim, wage was $1.25 an hr, http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/chart.htm

and my guess is even a skilled workman $5,00 would have been a very top wage,

average wages in 1965 were $4,658.72
      http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/AWI.html

on a 40 hr work week that is $2.32 an hr,

so that gives a little diffrent perspective to things,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

bhd, since i was only 2 at the time i wouldn't remember. can't ridgid roll back the prices to 1965 just for a day so i can fill in the little that i'm missing. call it customer loyalty day. in fact maybe for the oldtimers, roll it back to the year they were born. even a better deal for me. my wife would have to pay more current prices. just can't say what that is. she is watching.

thanks for the links. it is interesting to see the good old days. btw when i was 12, (1975). i was doing ok at $3.00 an hour after taxes.

rick.

Comment

oh I agree, it shure would be nice to be able to buy at those prices once again with to days wages, be like a child in a candy store,

Good high quality tools one has always had to pay for and they seem high on the buying end, but then there are few companys to day that are producing tools that,

First of all are even being made 40 years later.

Second of all that if one purchursed a tool 40 years ago that it was still usable today,

That is value,

and for the most part the quality is still there,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
          X