Ed the plumber??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed the plumber??

Caught a show on DIY TV this weekend. Anyone heard of it? Anyone know Ed Del Grande? Evidently this is a plumber that has a do-it-yourself informational show on nothing but plumbing. How to repair/install a toilet. How to unstop drains. How to install new water heater. etc. etc.

What you guys think???

Re: Ed the plumber??

from an amateur's perspective, Ed deals with things that are mostly simple and fundamental. however, every once in a while, he addresses something interesting and challenging to the DIY guy watching. i would assume most skilled professionals would find him laughable.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

the only decent "diy" show if you want to call it that is "holmes on homes" the guy actually encourages the homeowners to call in a professional and makes sure you know that things arent as easy as they seem

Comment

how about this old house .I got in to the trade cause of that show loved it I WANTED to be either a plumber or fireman

Comment

Did anyone hear that Threthewey has been bumped from this old house.?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            What happened? I didn't hear this.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              I'm sure some of you in the northeast probably think Threthewey is God or the Son of God or at least the Prince of Pipedom

I think he's a hack; always been a hack, will always continue to be a hack

There...I said it.....man that felt good

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                I'm sure some of you in the northeast probably think Threthewey is God or the Son of God or at least the Prince of Pipedom

Ok, now, no need to be mean spirited. I've known Rich for over twenty years now. Trethewy Plumbing has been in business since the early 1900's. Rich is a pretty knowledgable guy. I know he kind of fell into a good thing but a hack he is not.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

I'm curious, why do you think he is a hack?

Comment

I always liked Ghosthunters. When they send in the sewer cam into dark halls or crawls to see ghosts...

Comment

the thing i find most curious about Holmes on Homes is that the work he advises homeowners to have done right by professionals was, almost invariably, alledgedly done by professionals. the best way to have a project done properly is to educate yourself as to what needs to be done and how best to do it. the more detailed the planning part of the project, the better the project will turn out. i've found that getting a good number of estimates for any project can usually cause the "crap" contractors and estimates to make themselves readily apparent. it's also a great way to get info on what should be done and how it should be done. when our house was re-sided and re-roofed, i got over 20 proposals, making sure that each vendor was asked to quote on exactly the same specifications. the good vendors adivise you, the ones to be avoided try to baffle you with BS.

Comment

20 proposals? Wow, I'm so glad I don't do free estimates any more!
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

so what is your decsion model for choosing vendors when you are at an informational disadvantage?

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                            the thing i find most curious about Holmes on Homes is that the work he advises homeowners to have done right by professionals was, almost invariably, alledgedly done by professionals. the best way to have a project done properly is to educate yourself as to what needs to be done and how best to do it. the more detailed the planning part of the project, the better the project will turn out. i've found that getting a good number of estimates for any project can usually cause the "crap" contractors and estimates to make themselves readily apparent. it's also a great way to get info on what should be done and how it should be done. when our house was re-sided and re-roofed, i got over 20 proposals, making sure that each vendor was asked to quote on exactly the same specifications. the good vendors adivise you, the ones to be avoided try to baffle you with BS.
                            OVER 20 PROPOSALS???????

For siding and a roof???

You must be REAL fun when it comes to car shopping........................
                            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Nothing wrong with getting bids.
                              I am just saying I choose to charge for my gas and time to drive out to someone's house, even for a 'bid'. Now if you called 20 vendors for bids and they were all free, then you 'won' that deal by getting free information from 19 schmucks and only having to pay the one you chose. But if each vendor charged a fee to come out and bid it, then it wouldn't make sense to get 20 bids and the vendors who were bidding would have at least some compensation for their gas and time.

'Free Bids' is a business model that works for some contractors, but unfortunately many people take advantage of that system. Which is one reason why I don't use that business model.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                              X