Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did my toilet fall through my floor? :-)

Customer's toilet fell through the floor with them on it ( not far just scared her).... Here is what the area looked like once exposed...

What caused this tragedy you ask???? Drum roll please......

The duct tape repair made to the 3" cast did not hold...

I was speechless at the level of damage caused by this half A$$ repair...
    I need to put these pics in the ask a plumber section under what not to do...

Re: Why did my toilet fall through my floor? :-)

I thought duct tape worked for everything?

Comment

cant understand that myself, looks like it was taped by a licensed pro, maybe they could fix the floor with some heavy duty aluminum foil, {good thing no one got hurt}.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
        I thought duct tape worked for everything?
        unfortunately it's a common misconception. actually Gaffer's tape is used to hold the world together (that and velcro) not duct tape.

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Bill, what are we looking at in the 2nd pic. Is it a riser in a pipe chase going to a 2nd floor bathroom? Man, that had to be smelling funky for quite a while in that downstairs bathroom.
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I believe your duct tape diagnoses was incorrect. That was a professional tape job, not just some hack with a roll of 3M

Looks to me the toilet wasn't properly caulked to the floor

Comment

Okie Bill,
              that this is in oklahoma is no surprise. don't see many 2-story outhouses anywhere else.

HOOK-EM HORNS!!!!!!
              Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

SlimTim, Yea this is a second floor riser...

Big Dog, needless to say there are whole websites dedicated to Aggie / Longhorn stupidity Normally when the typical Longhorn graduate starts joking with me I will simply pay him for the pizza and he goes back to work...

Comment

That'll be 4 bucks, please
                  Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

Looks like they used the wrong kind of tape. The Nashua 357 is far superior to the 398, but its another 3 dollars a roll. In this case looks like it woulda added another 9 dollars to the cost of the job, so I can understand their reluctance.

Comment

I`m thinking they might want to learn better aim
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

IPC code 802.3.7 clearly states that ALL plumbing tape needs to meet ASTM Standard D 2661-96a. Standard Practice for Polyethelyne Adhesive Tape:

Must be a minimum of 10 mil applied in a interminable mannor
                        All edges must overlap at least 1/2"
                        Applied in a counter clockwise rotation and with no less than 4 layers thickness
                        Cannot be installed in a concealed location

Comment

I know what the problem is.....no caulking, it's the caulking that does the trick, da
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Now I'm curious, how old is this house? What's behind the tape? Is it cracked or rotted, or did a "plumber" knock a hole to clear the drain?. Was that chase sheet- rocked? It looks like stupid on a whole lot of levels. Somebody had to close that chase back up after the "repairs". Maybe a very industrious homeowner or slum lord did it all.
                            Isn't it unusual for a piece of c.i. to rot on the vertical like that?
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Uh, guys, the toilet is supposed to be held up by the floor, not the piping.
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X