pex-conventional or mainfold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pex-conventional or mainfold

I am currently in the process of building a house and getting ready to start the plumbing. I am using pex with copper fittings at the shut off valves. My plumber who is assisting me wants to plumb the house like a conventional copper system. I have come accrss many houses that have a manifold system with homeruns for all the pex. I want to make sure I get the best possible system with the best pressure everywhere(especially since I have a well which yields about 10-12 gpm) and I am wondering which way is better to plumb the system

Re: pex-conventional or mainfold

Originally posted by skkipp View Post
    I am currently in the process of building a house and getting ready to start the plumbing. I am using pex with copper fittings at the shut off valves. My plumber who is assisting me wants to plumb the house like a conventional copper system. I have come accrss many houses that have a manifold system with homeruns for all the pex. I want to make sure I get the best possible system with the best pressure everywhere(especially since I have a well which yields about 10-12 gpm) and I am wondering which way is better to plumb the system
    I prefer a modified manifold system that uses smaller manifolds located near the fixtures. Much less expensive and uses less pipe.
    sigpic

Comment

I have done all of my homes the conventional method. However, ensuring that there is no more than one fixture on a 1/2" line. Typically running 3/4" to the tub/showers and whirlpool tubs. (You never know when someone may want to add body sprays, multiple heads, etc.) Just make sure you have a couple of recirculation lines ran at the same time. If your water heater is on a downstairs level and your fixtures are on an upper level, you will get a recirculation just through convection and will not need a recirculation pump.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Manifolding option is one of the reasons I really love Pex.

It guarantees equal water to all fixtures. It also allows you to shut down one fixture at a time, say you have an emergency, and it's 10pm, no one wants to call a plumber at 10pm, so shut the fixture down and wait till morning, and continue to have water in other areas of the house.

Pex and manifold, the only way I would run pex.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Manifold is the only way to go if the money is there ( manifold or manifolds and return lines will add a few dollars to the project) Conventional is the cost effective way and you miss out on the manifold advantages...

As a side note.
          Is PEX pipe allowed to be used in California yet? Last I heard it was still in the courts?

Comment

Another advantage to a manifold system is the elimination of fittings behind walls. Remember that pex is not copper and a properly installed pex system won't look the same. If done right, you'll have a joint at the manifold and and at the stub out.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
              Manifold is the only way to go if the money is there ( manifold or manifolds and return lines will add a few dollars to the project) Conventional is the cost effective way and you miss out on the manifold advantages...

As a side note.
              Is PEX pipe allowed to be used in California yet? Last I heard it was still in the courts?

Approved Jan 1st

I am signed to take the certification, although I have installed systems for new construction out of state.

I will still check with the city I am working in to make sure they are ok with it. I doubt I will be doing full repipes with it, but maybe recirculation loops, or relocation.

Just another option I can offer the customer if they do not want the expense of copper. I still believe copper and solder is the best.

Rehau is my favorite as far as pex is concerned.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thank you all for your advice and help

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post

Rehau is my favorite as far as pex is concerned.

It's my favorite as well. A bit more expensive but well worth it. I just did a 121 suite apartment complex in Rehau and had no leaks. But the biggest advantage is that I could confidently let the drywall begin if I was behind in my testing.

Comment

Working...
                  X