X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Becoming an Apprentice

The Army will make a plumber out of you.
    sigpic

Comment

Check out UA.org and they will let you know when they are taking more apprentices into the local union that is in your area.

Comment

I have been in the Plumbing field ( Plumber / steamfitter ) for 17 years or so, and the thing many of us looked for was STEADY & Reliable help.

All you do is contact a bunch of local plumbers and tell them YOU WILL show up everyday, and I bet they will hire and keep you if you live up to that promise.

But if you are a slacker , forget it , Plumbing is not for you.!

Either way , I hope you get hired !
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I have all the books and CD`s you need to learn what you need to know. When I take my masters you can buy em from me and learn from em. Then go show the plumbers in your area that you know enough to be a good Apprentice. But it also takes a lot of hard work
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Hard work is something Im fine with. Not having been able to find an apprenticeship, Ive started working for a local contractor until either a plumber takes me on, or the union opens up. Ive basically been digging ditches for hours on end, and while tedious, back breaking, and mind numbing, I dont mind doing it so long as theres a pay-cheque in it.

Comment

[quote=J.S.;140222]
              Originally posted by breach View Post
              Ditch Digging? Im not opposed to it, I just dont know what you mean really[/quote As far as residential plumbing goes, A plumber will lay out the ditch with spray paint on the dirt and the ditch will usally span the whole length of the basement having smaller drains connecting into the main line that will exit the building under the footing. Its an important job, if the ditch is not dug with the proper fall or consistant fall, it can really mess with the plumber. A good laborer is not easy to find. If you can get in with a union shop i think the rate is about
              Originally posted by breach View Post
              $24 per hr. The problem is that a lot of young guys buy to much stuff
              and cant afford to go down to the 9 or 10 an hr. once they have the chance to be a preapprentice.

You can ususally pick these guys up in the parking lot of Home Depot.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X