X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming an Apprentice

I am trying to get into the plumbing trade as an apprentice, and I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice? I contacted a local college and they said that I had to first find a company willing to hire me as an apprentice, and then get registered as an apprentice through the Ontario government, after which I could go to school. I really want to get into this trade, so any help or suggestions would be very welcome, thanks for your time.

Re: Becoming an Apprentice

Sounds like you already have your answer. Are any companies hiring?

Comment

Sounds to me like hes trying to apply for a job with someone in here. Why not, there might be one or two from Toronto in here. Good luck, I hope you find a company...
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

If you find a boss who's not a complete a-- you should swear your undying loyalty.
        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

out here in the states, a union apprenticeship is 5 years and will pay you to learn and go to school.

you will receive a formal well rounded apprenticeship. not just ditch digging 101.

the non union sector has a phcc training course, but no one enforces you to join or go.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Ive been in touch with about 10 so far, and they've ranged from really nice to downright creep. Ive been told that the hardest part of getting into plumbing is simply finding someone willing to take you on. I guess I'll just keep applying. There is a local union for plumbing, but their apprenticeship intake is closed at the moment, so Ive just been contacting local plumbers directly.

Comment

Originally posted by breach View Post
              I really want to get into this trade,
              I'm just curious as to why?
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                I'm just curious as to why?
                Yeah, why? You like sniffin glue? Just kidding, I have had a ton of jobs, schooling...this is the best job yet.

Comment

I strongly recomend getting in touch with someone in Torontos hall,and getting some information,they can't keep thier applications closed forever...

Comment

If you dont know somebody Its a lot harder to get into the union, especially the way the economy is right now. But must apprentices Ive met get in buy digging ditches for a year or two. Its hard work and most young guys dont last. If you stick it out, the contractor will useually get you in to the pre apprentice program. The way things have been for the last maybe 5 yrs. It seems that most pre apprentices are stuck there for a couple of years before your in the program. At least here in st. louis.

Comment

I don't know if this works in Canada, but really all you have to do is work for a master in any capacity. One of the bigger companies around here had let guys into the apprenticeship after working stock at their store or running deliveries to their guys for awhile. A bigger outfit might take you on in a different capacity, and if you prove your work ethic and stick-to-it-iveness long enough they may like to take you on that way. Remember, they'll value the opinion of the other guys you'ld be working alongside, so be ready to do more than your own share.
                      sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

With trying to get into the union just plan on waiting a bit to get in..it's worth it.
                        You won't beat the schooling and come time to go for the journeyman license you will be *very* prepared.

Comment

Ditch Digging? Im not opposed to it, I just dont know what you mean really

Comment

[quote=breach;140163]Ditch Digging? Im not opposed to it, I just dont know what you mean really[/quote As far as residential plumbing goes, A plumber will lay out the ditch with spray paint on the dirt and the ditch will usally span the whole length of the basement having smaller drains connecting into the main line that will exit the building under the footing. Its an important job, if the ditch is not dug with the proper fall or consistant fall, it can really mess with the plumber. A good laborer is not easy to find. If you can get in with a union shop i think the rate is about
                            $24 per hr. The problem is that a lot of young guys buy to much stuff
                            and cant afford to go down to the 9 or 10 an hr. once they have the chance to be a preapprentice.

Comment

[QUOTE=J.S.;140222]
                              Originally posted by breach View Post
                              Ditch Digging? Im not opposed to it, I just dont know what you mean really[/quote As far as residential plumbing goes, A plumber will lay out the ditch with spray paint on the dirt and the ditch will usally span the whole length of the basement having smaller drains connecting into the main line that will exit the building under the footing. Its an important job, if the ditch is not dug with the proper fall or consistant fall, it can really mess with the plumber. A good laborer is not easy to find. If you can get in with a union shop i think the rate is about
                              $24 per hr. The problem is that a lot of young guys buy to much stuff
                              and cant afford to go down to the 9 or 10 an hr. once they have the chance to be a preapprentice.
                              Thats actually one of the things I like about what Ive heard on the trade, that there is a lot of grunt work. It sounds odd I guess, but I really enjoy hard physical work. If digging ditches paid well, I would gladly do it . I have a really strong work ethic, and I know that if I got a chance to work with someone I would prove myself

Comment

Working...
                              X