X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lead wiping

Last edited by J.S.; 05-03-2008, 12:33 PM.

Re: lead wiping

The flux we use today doesn't work well wiping lead joints. What kind were you using?. Brass has to be shiney clean. Very hard to wipe an old joint. Heat both but mostly the brass ferrel. 50/50 stick would have worked better than used lead although I've never tried wiping with old lead.

Comment

What was the question re: lead wiping? The only thing that shows on the post is the number 1.

Comment

Looks like JS deleted his original post and his follow up

Now I feel awkard about my post just hanging there

Comment

I thought it was just me, that maybe I was missing something

I sat in my group this morning with alot of questions?
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Looks like JS deleted his original post and his follow up

Now I feel awkard about my post just hanging there
            Im sorry for that, I bought some 50/50 this morning and it worked great. I cant believe I was trying to wipe that joint last night with old lead. Im kinda new to posting threads and i thought i could erase that whole question comments and all. thanks for the tip on the 50/50.

Comment

Originally posted by J.S. View Post
              Im sorry for that, I bought some 50/50 this morning and it worked great. I cant believe I was trying to wipe that joint last night with old lead. Im kinda new to posting threads and i thought i could erase that whole question comments and all. thanks for the tip on the 50/50.

Are you sure you're trying to "wipe" a joint? Do you mean solder?

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                Are you sure you're trying to "wipe" a joint? Do you mean solder?
                I might be using the wrong terminology but i thought it was called wipping the joint when you use that fire retardent cloth and wipe the lead solder around the chrome j-bend coming out of the wall

Comment

your correct.

Comment

Originally posted by J.S. View Post
                    I might be using the wrong terminology but i thought it was called wipping the joint when you use that fire retardent cloth and wipe the lead solder around the chrome j-bend coming out of the wall
                    Yes wiping, I am very familiar with it, and your using 50/50 solder for this?

Comment

You should be using 40/60 (tin/lead) solder, and for flux use plumber's candles. The candles contain stearic acid which acts as the flux. I did not notice what state you are in, but some of the items needed for wiping may not be available in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
                        You should be using 40/60 (tin/lead) solder, and for flux use plumber's candles. The candles contain stearic acid which acts as the flux. I did not notice what state you are in, but some of the items needed for wiping may not be available in your area.
                        To be honest I just figured it was 50/50 the guy at the counter just said this is what you need. He called it bar solder about 10" long and the size of your finger. ( go ahead make your jokes on that last sentence) I also bought the wipping cloth $25 for a little 4" sheet. I will check into getting those candles. Are they hard like reg. candle wax. I live in mo. lead arms seem like there in about every house over 30 to 40 yrs. old

Comment

Wiping cloth=mattress cover cloth (cotton, I think it is called "ticking") folded about four times to make various sized pads. warm the pads and rub with the plumbers candle to impregnate the cloth. Do NOT use any synthetic blends or allow the pad to char.

Plumbers candle= thick, short white candle usually found in an old time hardware store.

Some suppliers may still have these items in the back of old shelves where all of the dust lives!

If I ever get a digital camera I will post pictures of the tools & etc. for wiping.

When I took my Journeyman and Master's test it was a requirement to pass a wiping test. That is no longer the case in Michigan.

If you can find "Audel's Plumber and Pipefitter Books" there are some interesting sections on lead wiping that really show how the trade has changed. The sections on tools are also an eye opener

They were published in the '20s-30s and then republished in the late '40s. I found my set on e-bay for less than $20.00 a couple of years ago
                          Last edited by APHCO; 05-05-2008, 11:19 PM. Reason: accuracy

Comment

I just got a job replacing galvanised water pipes in a 90 year old building. But since were talking about lead It was really interesting to see all the lead work coming off the horizontal cast drains. Its quite an art. Im having a good time working on all these old houses and buildings compared to the new ,Its a nice change

Comment

Working...
                            X