X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for drain cleaners only

A question for the drain cleaners only. What do you guys do when you get a call on a kit. sink clog to find not only drain clogged, but J-bend coming out of the wall is totally rusted and leaking? (J-bend chrome plated, going into a lead arm.) Is lead wiping a skill that is part of what you have to know. just wondering

Re: question for drain cleaners only

Tell them right off the bat it needs to be replaced , that the snake will crumble the pipe.
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

No you shouldn't have to wipe a joint any more than you would need to repair a wooden wagon wheel.

They make a Fernco that fits nice and tight on lead.

Hand spinner only when snaking a lead drain and no warranty

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        No you shouldn't have to wipe a joint any more than you would need to repair a wooden wagon wheel.

They make a Fernco that fits nice and tight on lead.

Hand spinner only when snaking a lead drain and no warranty
        Ive never used a fernco on a lead arm, would it come with some type of stiffener to keep from crushing the pipe. on remodles ive cut them out and melted the lead off the brass furrel and then ferncod onto that. but had never repaired one, except for wipping a new joint.Tying onto lead arm with fernco is that code.

Comment

What is lead wiping ? I've never heard the term before.
          As I am not a licensed Plumber I would refer the customer to a local Plumber That I know does good work. So far this has only PO'ed one customer and as it turns out this was on a pvc line that had a 2'section of lead followed by a 1 foot section of galvy. This was the first and last time I've seen lead pipe up here (Maine) not very common, or maybe I just don't see it under all the duct tape
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

If your wagon has wooden wheels and steel tires, and they need repair you better find a wheel wright to get them fixed if you plan on continue using the wagon, (granted most are used for parades and show any more),

now plumbing most likely one will up grade the system, but with out replacing the wagon or at least the running gear there is little one can do but fix the wheels.

when the kids had the team of horses, I wanted to find them a wood wheel wagon, for there use. But the kids grew up and moved out, and no wood wheel wagon (have a steel wheel one, my dad had used for years for picking corn by hand), and a rubber tired one, but no wood wheel one. If I had a good place to store one inside I would still like to find one some time.

I jsut missed out by a few days getting a wagon like in the picture that still had the original paint on it and was in near perfect condition, but jsut missed out by a few days,
            Attached Files
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD, curious to how much money the wagon in that picture would go for if it was it decent/good shape?
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Actually that wagon in the picture is in fairly good shape for that type of wagon, it is usable, with out repair, a coat of paint is the main thing it needs,

The extra board on the side of the wagon was a back stop for the ear corn that was thrown into the wagon, so one would not throw it over the wagon, many times there were a number of boards, the horses were trained to voice commands and would walk down the rows and stop when commanded by voice or go by voice, they would ear pick the corn and then pile it and then some one with a sheller would come to the farm and the farmers in the area would come and haul and pitch the ears with a cob fork in to the sheller, to separate the cobs from the corn,

My uncle when he was little about 1906, would get the job of hauling grain to town 12 miles he was about 12 at the time, and it would take him all day drive the team of horses to haul one load of grain to the elevator in town and back home,.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

price again location is lot,

but here is a place that sells wagons and running gear.

http://www.albertacarriagesupply.com...icles_sold.php

the wagon I missed was very simular to the one on this link, there asking $9500 for it.

http://www.hansenwheel.com/store/pro...1&product_id=7

many times jsut the wheels will bring a 2 to 3 hundred EACH jsut for yard ornaments, and that normaly is in a non usable condition,

but the wagon I missed the guy sold it for $300, but if he would have worked at it a little, I am sure he could have easily got in excess of $3000 to $5000 for it.

depending on the auction that wagon in the picture could have been as low as a few hundred up to $1000+ or more fairly easily.

Even out here in the west in farm country, there getting far and few between units in good shape, way to many of them were jsut left out side when they were considered obsolete, most of them have not been used since about mid 1940's when the mechanical corn picker came into being. Before that most corn was hand picked using horses and wagons.
                Buggies and passenger type wagons are rarer yet, as they went out when the model A and T came in to prominence.
                Last edited by BHD; 05-04-2008, 10:15 PM.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

you can not use a "fernco" inside so we use a no-hub band to do the repair

I do one every week, some times 2 of em. We see lead all the time down here
                  Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 05-05-2008, 04:16 PM.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

To tie back into lead you can make a bit joint. Heat up the pipe and solder it just like you would on copper pipes, just dont get it to hot.

Comment

THIS IS INSANE! Don't use a fernco on that beautiful wagon. I'm callin PETA
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                        you can not use a "fernco" inside so we use a no-hub band to do the repair

I do one every week, some times 2 of em. We see lead all the time down here
                        Most of my exp. is in new construction all PVC, sometimes light commercial using cast with nohup bands. silly question but what is the difference between a no hub band and a fernco? just thinking about this, isnt a mission band the one we should use because of the dissimilar thing, brass ferrell to PVC?

Comment

fernco's are thick rubber, two or 4 band. No hub clamps are thinner rubber with a stainless band and 2 or 4 bands.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X