X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do??

Have you ever had a customer want something installed that is wrong 100% and they won't be happy with the end result but no matter what you try to do tell them other wise, they want the wrong thing installed?

I have a new customer that wants a 3 ton condenser installed but there's an existing 2 ton evaporator. He went out and bought the wrong condenser but wants me to install it. I tried to convince him this is wrong but he won't hear it. I told him no warranty at all and he would sign a waiver stating that I told him this was wrong and he wants it installed anyway and I'm not responsible for a thing. I even bumped up the price to scare him off but that didn't work. His existing condenser had a bad capacitor and a contactor that's going out. His reasoning is that since his unit is 6 years old, why put money into a this, just buy a whole new one.

I'd like the job because the money would be good but at the same time I feel that in the end he'll be disatisfied with the performance and blame me. I do however feel that I've given him every possible solution and it's his money. If he wants to throw it away, let him. What's your take?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: What would you do??

We have people sign a hold harmless type of form, and do the work as long as it is not against any code.

We get what we want, the customer gets what they want.

Bottom line is, this guy is going to have someone install that unit.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

We make sure the customer understands that when they provide the material to be installed, there is no warranty beyond the actual installation. If it doesn't work, they will be paying to redo it.
      sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

If someone told me to pipe a house with a smaller size copper I would not do it.

If someone told me to install a P.O.S.tankless after I informed them of the drawbacks of that particular unit I would gladly relieve them of their finances.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          If someone told me to pipe a house with a smaller size copper I would not do it.

If someone told me to install a P.O.S.tankless after I informed them of the drawbacks of that particular unit I would gladly relieve them of their finances.
          What's the difference between the two?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

yes and if there is no chance damages can be incurred to body or home,{ remember we are the pros and our still very much liable no matter what disclaimer is signed if personal or property damage is sustained and we knew better] with that said hel# yeh i would take his money even after you told him it was not sized right, let him choke on it latter when it fails prematurely, dam# know it all's.

Comment

First off, the evap coil is going to freeze up. Second off the txv won't handle the decreased evap coil and if it's a r410 system the problem gets worse. The only way this will work is if you change out the txv and even then it's bound to screw up the super heat because you have way more condensor than evaporator. It's a freekin can of worms. I think I'd walk.
              sigpic

Comment

Who is the professional? You or him? The customer may have the money but you have the knowledge,experience and the license.

If you know it is wrong you are still responsible for the install. Your reputation suffers when things do not work out properly and by letting him design the job you become nothing but labor.

If he wants to sue you, you still have the time and expense of defending a nuisance suit. Why bother? Keep your integrity and tell him to find someone else or sell him on the fact that you know the correct way to do the job and you are willing to guarantee good results.

You can not take every job that comes your way.
                Remember Kenny Rogers"You got to know when to hold up, know when to fold up, know when to walk away..."
                This IMHO is the time to walk away.

Comment

This is pretty much how I feel too.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    What's the difference between the two?
                    Code.
                    And if there was none I guess it has something to do with the amount of resources it would take to rectify down the road.

Your unit will still work? Just pumps terrible numbers? It's exposed change it.

Comment

Working...
                    X