half moon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• half moon

hey, does anybody know where the crescent moon on outhouses originated from ?

Re: half moon

iF YOU GOOGLE "CRESCENT MOON OUTHOUSE ORIGIN" LOTS OF THINGS POP UP. THE MOST FREQUENT ANSWER IS TO LET LIGHT IN, DURING COLONIAL TIMES.

(Sorry about the CAPS, I hit the button by accident)
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post

(Sorry about the CAPS, I hit the button by accident)

I thought it was JERRYMAC posting for a minute there, except not bold type.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
        I thought it was JERRYMAC posting for a minute there, except not bold type.
        if you go back a few years, all my post were caps, as it was easier to read.

some complained as they say it's yelling. so now all my post are lower case. you can't have it both ways

all my computer invoices are all caps and not one of my customers has ever complained or commented.

jerrymac does it as it's easier to read.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

If you notice, the "proper" crescent moon on the outhouse has the outside of the moon to the left and the inside of the crescent to the right. This is the sign of the waning or third-quarter moon.
          Years ago people believed that if you tried to fill a hole during the waning moon, the hole would never fill, just keep sinking in. With the moon on the outhouse in the waning phase, the hole would never fill up so you wouldn't have to dig another one.

My MIL (she is 92) believes this to be true and convinced me. I cut down some pines in her yard and dug out the stumps. The first trees I did during the waning moon and naturally there wasn't enough dirt to completely fill the holes with the stump out. The third and biggest I did during the first quarter moon. I had to dig down almost four feet around the tap root before I could cut it off (My BIL pulled the stump out with a boom truck). That holed filled to the top with the dirt I dug out and has never settled into a depression (this was 15 years ago). To this day the other two holes keep sinking in and needing fill dirt occasionally.
          Six weeks ago we had a storm that toppled a 75' pine in my back yard. I pulled the stump and cut up the tree, and filled the hole without extra dirt the 2nd week in april. We've had several hard rains since but the fill is still level and solid.

Like Ripley said: Believe it or Not!

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

[B[/B]i'll buy that,country folk being led by the moon, city folk had a"gong farmer"

Comment

Working...
            X