X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wax vs. Other

Rick: You mentioned pouring a lead "dutchman" I used to do that all the time. Fortunatly, not much old c.i. around now, so I have not had to do it for quite a few years. However, just last week one of our service guys ran across one (already in) for the first time and had no clue as to what it was or why it was there. The old ways are dying my friend. May the force be with us.
    sigpic

Comment

One more thing: Don't use the lead pot for pouring joints much any more but, you can get lead soldier molds of Ebay and that's kind of a fun hobby. The burner also works great for boiling lobsters
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        One more thing: Don't use the lead pot for pouring joints much any more but, you can get lead soldier molds of Ebay and that's kind of a fun hobby. The burner also works great for boiling lobsters
        I use mine to make sinkers and fishing lures!

Comment

don't know about the guys that don't use 1/4'' brass bolts for the flange to bowl connection. but i always use a brass nut and washer on top of the flange. there is no way a bolt is going to move, fall over.

we are talking about a toilet made of ceramic china. not a prison stainless toilet.

that is why it's so important to properly secure the flange to the floor. especially with all the plastic out there now. another reason to properly caulk the toilet and force the caulking between the toilet and the floor.

1/4'' has been the standard since day 1. 5/16'' is not necessarily considered an upgrade. i very rarely ever come across 5/16'' bolts.

the bolt ear will snap if the toilet is loose or rocks. that's why the second nut is important on top the flange and why caulking is important.

call me old school, but i don't see any benefit of 5/16'' and truthfully i've never had an issue with 1/4'' brass bolts. and i've installed more than 5 thousand toilets conservatively.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
            There is a new one out, but only for a new bowl. It glues to the bowl, then rubber seal to the inside of the pipe. OK I guess. Wax works best, but you've gotta fasten the flange by the bolt or it'll pull up w/ time. The reason I don't like the neoprene is, if you get a leaky flapper they soak up the water like a sponge and rust everything that can be rusted.

I think that connection would've been updated by now if it were really a problem.
            I have seen one of these fail as well.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by sweatthepipe View Post
              I hate the 1/4" bolts. They fall over too easy. And spin when loosening.

Whose fingers can even use them?

5/16" bolts every time.

Also, no adjustable slots on plastic closet flanges. Only straight slots.

As far as wax rings go, I prefer wax on ALL toilets. Carrier or floor mount.

Urinal wax rings are better also. They stay in place.
              I like the bigger nuts on the 5/16 bolts for sure. The 1/4" I keep running accross where someone sticks the SS washer UNDER the cap retaining washer and the nut goes into the plastic. I hate that. I do bolt to the flange before setting the stool too. And sink a screw down next to it.

The adjustable slots on plastic closet flanges are a pet peeve of us service guys here. Some plumbers too lazy to measure 12" off the wall or something.
              sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

I knew someone would finally bring that out.

To each their own.....I'm glad I do things the way I do...

The 1/4" reminds me of a pin

The 5/16" reminds me of a rod

LOL! I'm glad I'm not resetting many toilets lately either.......they suck!
                Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 05-12-2008, 10:00 PM.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I almost always use 1/4" brass bolts. I'd prefer the bolt to break before the china does.

I have been double-nutting the bolts for years, buying a box of 100 bolts, and packages of 200 washers and 200 nuts. Now I can buy them already packaged that way.

I also prefer the straight slots on the flange to the adjustable ones, which are too weak. You just have to make the flange straight when you install it.

Comment

My experience is the 5/16" bolt heads are less likely to pull through the slot on the pvc collar. If I do use a 1/4" bolt I will slide an oval ss washer on the bolt and put it in the slot with the bolt head.
                    When I had a boss other than myself, he would buy the cheap, metal alloy 1/4" bolts and the head would break off half the time.
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                      My experience is the 5/16" bolt heads are less likely to pull through the slot on the pvc collar. If I do use a 1/4" bolt I will slide an oval ss washer on the bolt and put it in the slot with the bolt head.
                      When I had a boss other than myself, he would buy the cheap, metal alloy 1/4" bolts and the head would break off half the time.
                      once again, the fastners have to be corrison resistant. so either brass or stainless. and since i've never seen stainless closet bolts, brass it is.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        once again, the fastners have to be corrison resistant. so either brass or stainless. and since i've never seen stainless closet bolts, brass it is.

rick.
                        Sadly plastic is also corrosion resistant (Sioux Chief).

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Wow this thread got a lot of mileage. I still say code and industry should say 3"or4" inch out of the floor with a fernco type coupling connecting to the toilet. A non exact seal should be a thing of the past.

Comment

Working...
                          X