X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax vs. Other

I've been tempted lately to try something other than wax for the seal under the toilet.
    I tried a product many years ago without good results.
    Is there anything new out there now? What's everyone's experience?
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Wax vs. Other

Wax, Wax, Wax.....the only thing that works, besides the foam gasket for the urinals.

But on the toilets, wax only. I have removed everything else on the market prematurely, especially those fluidmaster things..
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I have used foam gaskets for toilets. Must be sized exactly right. Much more forgiving if the toilet moves such as settling on a tile floor.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        Wax, Wax, Wax.....the only thing that works, besides the foam gasket for the urinals.

But on the toilets, wax only. I have removed everything else on the market prematurely, especially those fluidmaster things..
        i think Robert wants you to know he likes wax
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I have no problems with wax and see no reason to change. I mean a wax seal is less than a dollar and they work well it is a tried and true method why would anyone even contemplate using something else? What can be cheaper or easier to install or as reliable?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
            I have no problems with wax and see no reason to change. I mean a wax seal is less than a dollar and they work well it is a tried and true method why would anyone even contemplate using something else? What can be cheaper or easier to install or as reliable?
            I've been waiting for a thread like this to come up.

I don't know why code allows such a crappy way to seal a toilet to the drain system. by now industry standard should be an elastomeric seal. a wax gasket should be a thing of the past. I don't care how many everybody claims they set trouble free. I have seen way way to many leak causing damage and they weren't all set by home owners and handy men. We would never allow any other part of the drain system to be sealed in such a way and we would laugh at the people who would seal a drain line with wax. Of course it would take a change by the toilet manufactures. That won't happen, but we should get in the 21st century. Just my 2 cents.

Yes I use wax and not the foam. only because I've replaced a few letting sewer gas smell come in.

Comment

There is a new one out, but only for a new bowl. It glues to the bowl, then rubber seal to the inside of the pipe. OK I guess. Wax works best, but you've gotta fasten the flange by the bolt or it'll pull up w/ time. The reason I don't like the neoprene is, if you get a leaky flapper they soak up the water like a sponge and rust everything that can be rusted.

I think that connection would've been updated by now if it were really a problem.
              sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Very good. That's why I brought up the subject. You know, as an apprentice, then a journyman, and even as a master plumber, I would sometimes meet another plumber at the shop or on the job and think, boy, I would like to work with with him for a year and pick his brain. Now, I can practically do that on this forum (and not have to put up with any annoying habits)

Wax is fine, tried and true, but it has it's problems as well. I've had it shift, sqeeze in front of the toilet outlet, you've got to warm them up in the cold weather and cool them down in the hot. And how much is enough. We used to have two types, with or without a horn. Now, there's regular, jumbo, jumbo with neopreme inside, super jumbo. I mean, you can't see under the toilet once you straddle it, pick it up and set it down.
                And if you're setting it on a hardwood floor, it had better be right!
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                  I've been waiting for a thread like this to come up.

I don't know why code allows such a crappy way to seal a toilet to the drain system. by now industry standard should be an elastomeric seal. a wax gasket should be a thing of the past. I don't care how many everybody claims they set trouble free. I have seen way way to many leak causing damage and they weren't all set by home owners and handy men. We would never allow any other part of the drain system to be sealed in such a way and we would laugh at the people who would seal a drain line with wax. Of course it would take a change by the toilet manufactures. That won't happen, but we should get in the 21st century. Just my 2 cents.

Yes I use wax and not the foam. only because I've replaced a few letting sewer gas smell come in.
                  I agree.
                  I use nothing but wax, only because I'm afraid to be a guinea pig for new products...
                  However, I absolutely agree with your statement on wax seals...it's almost inevitable that toilet flanges & johnny bolts will loosen over time.
                  As they loosen, the wax becomes slowly compressed from movement and looses it's seal....it doesn't flex back into shape.
                  With all the new types of elastomeric rubber and other composites with unique properties, it seems inevitable that someone will finally come out with something that can handle eventual movement better than wax.
                  If nothing else, it would at least enable homeowners to notice a loose toilet before it ruins a ceiling below.

Comment

On carrier toilets I like the rubber type waxless seals. A lot of the neoprenes pinch and leak. When I do the rough in, or underground, I am competent enough to install the riser or flange at the proper elevation and use a single wax ring, no horn.

Comment

We just talked about this at my shop. I really don't feel it is adequate.

Has anyone tried these?

I have a couple (3", 4") on my van for two years now and I just can't do it.
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                        On carrier toilets I like the rubber type waxless seals. A lot of the neoprenes pinch and leak. When I do the rough in, or underground, I am competent enough to install the riser or flange at the proper elevation and use a single wax ring, no horn.

You are the second person that say's no horn. what is your reason for using the wax without the horn??
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

I was always taught that horns were used on 4" flanges, and on 3" flanges they just restrict flow. I second the no horn notion.

Tyman, is that an insert flange of some sort? If so, were is the bolt holes and slots?
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I use no-horn also. I don't see the point of the horn, if the toilet is set correctly, the wax does all the sealing.
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I'd like to change to something cleaner than wax. But all of these products have a couple of problems as I see it.

1)Cost. Wax Seal $1.00. Other products I've seen $10.00+.

2)Durability. If set right, I've seen wax seals that are fine 25+years. The toilets were not rocking. The bolts were not loose. And I went under the houses to check for leakage. No problems.

The Neoprene/Rubber products do break down and crack over time right?

$1.00 product that has proven to last 25+years vs. $10.00+ product that hasn't proven anything?

Just don't see things changing any time soon. My opinion.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X