Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you have done anything differently?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you have done anything differently?

Hey guys, how's it going? I haven't been on in awhile cause I've been busy. Anyway here's some work I just wrapped up. Could you tell me what you would have done differently? There is a valve inside to shut off both the boiler drain and water line in the winter. Out of the picture is a 3/4" CTS poly line running down to the pool, connecting into a 2' bury field hydrant with stones at the bottom for drainage, sorry no pictures of that though. Anyone notice the nicely done split ring hangers and solder joints?

A view from the top.

Btw, when you turn the ball off(to the right of the picture), it's dam near perfectly level with the 1/2" cts split ring hanger a few inches to the left of it.

Solder joints so clean, you can barely tell they're soldered.

Anyways I took extra time on this because it's going to be seen by mass amounts of people. I think it's like a billboard to our company's name too. I would think somebody will notice the work, and strike up a conversation on it with the homeowner.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: Would you have done anything differently?

Get the electrician to clean up his work, especially around the time switch.

Comment

Haha I know right. The homeowner was complaining how she could never get him to show up.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

that burnt electical junction box isnt from you right?

I say good job clean work and lots of attention to detail!

Comment

Aaron, did you torch that electrical box??

Solder looks great, everything is very pretty, I think your paid by the hour??

Great work, I love the hangers and the fact you sandclothed the complete pipe.

Oh wait, I had to mention it, it all looks great up until the time that sharkbite blows off when the owner is gone on a trip

Great Job Aaron, props on the solder and the fact you used a level there big guy
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

-I would've brought that branch in closer so it's not hanging out on the side for someone to hit. Would've allowed the poly to come straight up.
            -The vertical pipe is bowed out.
            -I install all split ring bases the same way. Not some vertical, some horizontal.
            -Would've left out that bottom 45 and just brought the 90 straight out to the right but this is personal preferance.
            -Never sink a screw in a mortared joint. Always go for brick or block(3rd pic, middle SR).
            -I think I would've left that tee and installed it in the horzintal line. The 90 over and 90 down just looks funny. Personal preference.
            -Is your pipe plumb? The reason why I ask is because the bottom SR looks to have the longest allthread but it should have the shortest.
            -Why couldn't this all been done in the wall so none of this was exposed?
            -How did you seal the hole where the pipe came out the wall?

Overall Aaron, I think you're doing a great job. Give me a call if my comments don't make sense, English is my second language.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              -I would've brought that branch in closer so it's not hanging out on the side for someone to hit. Would've allowed the poly to come straight up.
              -The vertical pipe is bowed out.
              -I install all split ring bases the same way. Not some vertical, some horizontal.
              -Would've left out that bottom 45 and just brought the 90 straight out to the right but this is personal preferance.
              -Never sink a screw in a mortared joint. Always go for brick or block(3rd pic, middle SR).
              -I think I would've left that tee and installed it in the horzintal line. The 90 over and 90 down just looks funny. Personal preference.
              -Is your pipe plumb? The reason why I ask is because the bottom SR looks to have the longest allthread but it should have the shortest.
              -Why couldn't this all been done in the wall so none of this was exposed?
              -How did you seal the hole where the pipe came out the wall?

Overall Aaron, I think you're doing a great job. Give me a call if my comments don't make sense, English is my second language.
              Don't let him up yet, Ben. Kick him some more while you have him pinned down...ouch!

No, seriously Aaron looks great

You might want to remove the Y connector on the hosebibb. It might spray on the unprotected GFCI outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Don't let him up yet, Ben. Kick him some more while you have him pinned down...ouch!
                Sure Bill, no problem. 1 thing I forgot Aaron, this is just me and I never seen anyone else do this so take it for what it's worth. Whenever I'm installing pipe next to a wall or ceilings with vertical or horizontal lines, I do not use a level. The reason being is that your eye will naturally try to find similarity between the pipe and the lines on the wall. It doesn't matter if your pipe is plumb and level, if it doesn't match the lines on the wall, it'll look thrown off. I use a tape measure more in this case.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                  Hey guys, how's it going? I haven't been on in awhile cause I've been busy. Anyway here's some work I just wrapped up. Could you tell me what you would have done differently? There is a valve inside to shut off both the boiler drain and water line in the winter. Out of the picture is a 3/4" CTS poly line running down to the pool, connecting into a 2' bury field hydrant with stones at the bottom for drainage, sorry no pictures of that though. Anyone notice the nicely done split ring hangers and solder joints?

A view from the top.

Btw, when you turn the ball off(to the right of the picture), it's dam near perfectly level with the 1/2" cts split ring hanger a few inches to the left of it.

Solder joints so clean, you can barely tell they're soldered.

Anyways I took extra time on this because it's going to be seen by mass amounts of people. I think it's like a billboard to our company's name too. I would think somebody will notice the work, and strike up a conversation on it with the homeowner.
                  As usual, your solder joints look neater than mine. But I'm working on it.

Shouldn't there be a vacuum breaker on the main boiler drain?

Should always try to plumb things unexposed. But maybe that wasn't possible.

I would have put another boiler drain at the bottom of the assembly somewhere. Maybe even the slightest pitch towards it. The way it looks to me is that some of the pipe will stay full and Maryland can get pretty cold.

J.C.

Comment

Wrench Spinner- I had the tip of the flame on the box no time at all, maybe a second or two, and it was too late.

Robert- Yeah I did. The poly pipe is CTS, and would of been a ***** to convert over due to the fact I would have had to run back to the warehouse, the boss said to just shark bite it. When I ordered the parts for the job I bought a 1" male, threaded by barbed adpater and planned to put a 3/4" threaded by 1/2" copper sweat female adapter on the poly, but since it was CTS, not IPS that plan went down the drain.

Ben-

I was using all thread rod, and those pieces were pretty dam tiny as is.

I also had to use a 45* because the brick was stack weird, take a close look at the picture and you'll get my point.

Behind this was a finished shower.

I used 100% clear silicone.

Bill- I only put that on there cause once I finished I thought that the yee wasn't going to connect onto the boiler drain with the 2 45's I had installed.

JC- Your right, a vacuum breaker wouldn't have been a bad idea.

I guess another boiler drain wouldn't have been a bad idea either.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Aaron, I give you credit big guy, you always post pics and you try your very best to be the best!! You rock Kid!! Can't wait to meet you at the roundup

I have a question, this was already mentioned I think, in the winter, the water is off to this section of pipe? To me it is normal to have exposed pipe, but it does not freeze here

How do you drain down that section?

Hey dude, great job though When the electrician fixes his mess, he can fix that box too!
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

You could open the down stream field hydrant. But then I would still have the first horitonzal piece of pipe and the short piece of vertical pipe before the tee with water in it. **** I ****ed up.

I forget if there was a bleed on the valve on the inside of the house or not. Not like the homeowner would use it though.
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                          You could open the down stream field hydrant. But then I would still have the first horitonzal piece of pipe and the short piece of vertical pipe before the tee with water in it. **** I ****ed up.

I forget if there was a bleed on the valve on the inside of the house or not. Not like the homeowner would use it though.
                          LOL

Don't fix it. Guaranteed service call next cold snap

Comment

Eh, I was just thinking and it should be alright.
                            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Question on the pipe clamps. Is it code in your area to run your fasteners into the brick and not the mortar? Around here, I see the bricks failing/crumbling/flaking before the mortar does. Grant it, it does take some years for this to happen but it does. Or it doesn't matter at all????
                              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X