X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with threading 4" pipes

We have a 1224 threading machine with 914 die and am using it on 4" pipes making BSP taper thread. I have gone thru the owners manual and checked every last detail for setting up the die and machine. It is producing a sort of taper thread but too large for the fittings to engage and when i try to set it on the 4" mark it will not even start the thread. I checked the pipe OD and it seems ok at 4 1/2". The dies i had them sharpened at a tool shop. I have also dismanteled the die and checked for any damage but found none.At this stage i can only say HELP!

frankv, i just looked up the part # and they look good. can it be the sharpening of the dies that are bad? have these dies worked before with this machine? you can also contact ridgid customer service for real help.

rick.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply rick
      These dies have done some work and they have a chip or two but that should reflect on the quality of the thread.As i said in the post i did have them sharpened. My real problem is why the thread is large.If i set the die on the 4" mark it will only engage with excessive force and the it will just plough and produce no thread.I have checked pipe suppliers literature and 4 1/2" OD seems ok for a 4" galvanized shedule 40 pipe.

Comment

From page 14 of the manual:

"Checking Thread Length

1. Thread is cut to proper length when end of pipe is flush with edge of dies (Figure 18A).
        2. Die head is adjustable to obtain proper thread diameter. If possible, threads should be checked with a thread ring gage (Figure 18B). A proper thread is cut when end of pipe is plus or minus one turn of being flush with face of ring gage.

NOTE! If a ring gage is not available, a fitting can be used. This fitting should be representative of those being used on the job. The pipe thread should be cut to obtain 2 or 3 turns hand tight engagement with fitting. If pipe thread is not proper diameter the index line should be moved in the OVER or UNDER size mark on size bar. (refer to “Installing Dies In Die Heads”). NOTE! Receding dies used in 714/914 Head are NOT full width dies!"

I don't think it is uncommon to have to tweak the setting for proper thread engagement, I have done it many times.

Have you tried this or only used the die set at exactly on the 4" index setting? If you had the dies sharpened then I would think they would start a little easier at the standard setting, assuming that a small amount of material was removed from the dies during sharpening. that would mean the dies could be just slightly shorter and might cut an oversized (shallow) thread would it not? Since you say you are having a tough time starting the thread, this would seem to not be the case.

Have you double checked that each die is in the proper position in the head?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.:
          From page 14 of the manual:

"Checking Thread Length

1. Thread is cut to proper length when end of pipe is flush with edge of dies (Figure 18A).
          2. Die head is adjustable to obtain proper thread diameter. If possible, threads should be checked with a thread ring gage (Figure 18B). A proper thread is cut when end of pipe is plus or minus one turn of being flush with face of ring gage.

NOTE! If a ring gage is not available, a fitting can be used. This fitting should be representative of those being used on the job. The pipe thread should be cut to obtain 2 or 3 turns hand tight engagement with fitting. If pipe thread is not proper diameter the index line should be moved in the OVER or UNDER size mark on size bar. (refer to “Installing Dies In Die Heads”). NOTE! Receding dies used in 714/914 Head are NOT full width dies!"

I don't think it is uncommon to have to tweak the setting for proper thread engagement, I have done it many times.

Have you tried this or only used the die set at exactly on the 4" index setting? If you had the dies sharpened then I would think they would start a little easier at the standard setting, assuming that a small amount of material was removed from the dies during sharpening. that would mean the dies could be just slightly shorter and might cut an oversized (shallow) thread would it not? Since you say you are having a tough time starting the thread, this would seem to not be the case.

Have you double checked that each die is in the proper position in the head?
          Agree with Bob D. completly.

the dog
          the dog

Comment

You might want to look at a couple videos on the Ridgid web site about the 1224, here's a link to one of them in Windows Media format, also available in RealMedia format.

http://www.ridgid.com/video/1224cockISDN.asf

The training videos are here:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Training-Videos/index.htm

Comment

Thanks guys for the help. I have been thru the videos and these have confirmed that what i was doing was ok. I have tried various tweaking in adjustment over the 4" mark and also cheked many a time the die numbers. I am now waiting for a new set of dies and see how it goes. What i cannot understand is why the die should be receeding (i am asuming this means that the dies open as they move down the sine bar).The dies themselves are taper so why should they receed?

Thanks again for your help

Comment

Working...
              X