Amtrol 7L 41 gal.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amtrol 7L 41 gal.

Is it worth to install? Since a boiler isn't running in the summer, so lets say 4 months where I live, 2 more months at part time running. I would have to have a second zone with my main HW tank, I would guess for the summer time.

The tank was given to me for free, never used. But I'm not to sure if I wanna go through this hassle, so I'm think of either sell the sucker or give it away, probably give it away, since it was given to me this morning.

So whats your opinion on this, I know the California guys can't help, they need a cold climate for them to understand this stuff...

Just kidding guys, lighten up...

http://www.warcosupply.com/amtrol2001Boilermate.pdf
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Amtrol 7L 41 gal.

A free Amtrol? You know what that is worth? Don't give it away. Have it installed for a few hundred dollars. It might just be the last water heater you ever buy. What are you using now for hot water? What size and efficiency level is the boiler? Use the boiler year round to make hot water and toss the heater you have now.

Comment

If I looked it up correctly, its worth $226.00. My house is forced air, but my parents house is hot water/boiler. This would go into their home or I'll get rid of it. I do know, that they are one of the best out there (Amtrol), but the problem can be running the boiler in the summer, just to heat the water. This route could cost them more in energy. So, can we zone the whole water line with the existing HW tank, so I can switch over? To me, this doesn't really sound like it would be difficult what so ever, unless I'm just not seeing something in the picture (my head).
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Yea all you need to do is have it piped independly of the heating system using zone valves or pumps. I prefer pumped zones myself. Might be overkill for an elderly couple but a big selling feature if they decide to move. This thing can put out a lot of hot water. You priced it wrong. It's worth maybe $800-$1000 but I haven't shopped for one lately.

Comment

New or not, pressure test the coil. If it was laid on it's side at any time the coil could be bad. I've had new ones delivered to me on installs that got brought out that way, and more than once they leaked. They are great water heaters though, and worth running the boiler for year round. Maybe put some donkey d on the pipes so the heat stays in the tank. If it has the digital stat so much the better.
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
            New or not, pressure test the coil. If it was laid on it's side at any time the coil could be bad. I've had new ones delivered to me on installs that got brought out that way, and more than once they leaked. They are great water heaters though, and worth running the boiler for year round. Maybe put some donkey d on the pipes so the heat stays in the tank. If it has the digital stat so much the better.
            Yes, digital stat. I will do a pressure test, what pound should I go, 100?

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
              Yes, digital stat. I will do a pressure test, what pound should I go, 100?

NOOO!!

50 will be fine for the coil

Comment

Crack's right...they run around $900 to $1K for the 41 gal.
                You ought test BOTH the coil AND the tank...a freebie like that's "too good to be true" so make sure you're not setting yourself up for a major headache after spending the loot to have it installed.
                I personally prefer Superstor indirects, but if it's free it's a steal as long as it's in good shape.
                Amtrols can be a pain to service because the parts are all underneath which equals more money on future service calls, Superstors parts are accessable from the side.

Comment

I use the superstor's because I like the dealer here. But I don't like how far up the tank the stupid well is for the aquastat. It's OK for high btu's cause you're reheating more water and probably not cycling so much, but I think the recovery must suffer, in a multifamily especially.

100 pounds is a little overkill for what you're looking for. If they leak, it's the weight of the coil on it's side pulling away. You'll know it right away most likely, cause you won't be able to hold ANY pressure in the coil (assuming you didn't plub the tank)
                  Last edited by boillerman; 05-11-2008, 06:50 PM.
                  sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

I'm guessing this is leftover stock. Find the build date through the S/N! If its more than four years old, chuck it. They had a run of heaters, that in my experience , had a 50% early failure rate( sometimes failing within two weeks ). If it is newer than that, keep it. Once Amtrol found the problem they went back to their original production methods. As for Superstores they had their problems too.
                    Mike
                    Last edited by myakka; 05-11-2008, 09:26 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

It's still less expensive to make hot water with an indirect than electric or gas. But for how much longer, I couldn't say. $ 4.06 a gallon for # 2 fuel oil up here. Jeezzzzz
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                        I'm guessing this is leftover stock. Find the build date through the S/N! If its more than four years old, chuck it. They had a run of heaters, that in my experience , had a 50% early failure rate( sometimes failing within two weeks ). If it is newer than that, keep it. Once Amtrol found the problem they went back to their original production methods. As for Superstores they had their problems too.
                        Mike

I too had several fail on me years ago at about a 50% rate. Have never gone back. I use either Triangle tube or mega-stor by crown.

Comment

Working...
                        X