X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The price of mild steel

This is off topic ,hope nobody minds. I also do welding. I buy from a very large dealer.
    Fri I purchesed some plate. Price $.90 a Lb.!!!! The Chinese are Killing us. I have tons of pipe, plate, rounds.angles You name it at Our shop, but never just what Ineed for the next project. Now My son understands why I always go after salvage Iron. Think about all the big Iron in Hi-risers !! Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: The price of mild steel

Look at the price of copper tube and brass threaded fittings.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

You know..I have started collecting all my old brass and copper, I can barely move the barrel cha-ching!
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

They just tore down our High School and hoping to find a lot of steel to salvage. They didn't get diddly squat, no outer walls had steel, columns were rebar and cement. Which created a big write up in the news paper. Thats how important steel is right now, everyone is trying to salvage. And as Aaron said, the rest of them too, copper, silver, etc.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I just took my scarp to the local scrap yard and the pay out was nice. I got $2.65 a pound for #1 copper tube. I could get higher, but the drive isn't a short one.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
            I just took my scarp to the local scrap yard and the pay out was nice. I got $2.65 a pound for #1 copper tube. I could get higher, but the drive isn't a short one.

I just did a scrap run last week, got $111.oo for my cans and $988.oo for my scrap copper, the guy there didn't even divide it from #1 and #2, he said the differance in the price was minimal
            The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
              I just did a scrap run last week, got $111.oo for my cans and $988.oo for my scrap copper, the guy there didn't even divide it from #1 and #2, he said the differance in the price was minimal

That is sweet, $998, yee haa!!

Now you know, the IRS wants some of that
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                That is sweet, $998, yee haa!!

Now you know, the IRS wants some of that
                I was suprised too, didn't think I had that much...over 300#, I was expecting a few hundred at most. It was going for $2.85 lb. Robert...are you going to the trade show in Long Beach this year?
                The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                  I was suprised too, didn't think I had that much...over 300#, I was expecting a few hundred at most. It was going for $2.85 lb. Robert...are you going to the trade show in Long Beach this year?

I sadly will miss this year, because I am going to OHIO for the roundup, but next year for sure.

I wish it had worked out differently, as I live for the trade show! But, next year I am there. I went to the one last year, and the year before in Pomona, Long Beach is by far the best, but I wish they had more booths. Pomona was huge. Last year was Long Beach's first year
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Congrat's Rick 1643! good #s, all around ,I was born 1943. That's like hitting the lottery.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

How much did steel used to cost?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

we have a scrap co that re sells all the good pieces of steel at a lower cost .we go there first if we need any
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          This is off topic ,hope nobody minds. I also do welding. I buy from a very large dealer.
                          Fri I purchesed some plate. Price $.90 a Lb.!!!! The Chinese are Killing us. I have tons of pipe, plate, rounds.angles You name it at Our shop, but never just what Ineed for the next project. Now My son understands why I always go after salvage Iron. Think about all the big Iron in Hi-risers !! Tool

I've been building a parade truck for the past 4 weeks and in an unexpected twist, we had to torch off the old diamond plate flooring and install new due to the flooring rusting out from the underside up.

$1600 was my first purchase between 4-8' sheets of diamond plate 1/8" pickled n' oiled.

My next order is monday for $590 for the square tubing to build the 9.5' walls to the side of this truck. Found out today that I'm too wide on my truck and now we have to improvise and do more work.

Big money for something we thought would run cheaper.......but what I'm doing as far as the floor goes....I used rus-fre undercoating and I won't be replacing that floor ever again.

Fresh paint on its way once we get the body built.

My scrap pile of the old sheeting is soon to leave here once we finish it to within reason.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Gear ,I was paying $.20 a pound for a loong stretch. At the supply,I also buy their remnents
                            These are cut offs,2x3 ft. example. These were $.70 a pound.

Dunbar,that sounds like a lot of work. Is this for the 4th of july

Comment

Originally posted by Rick1643
                              didn't think I had that much...over 300#, I was expecting a few hundred at most.
                              Psst . . . "a few" is three.

Comment

Working...
                              X