X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master's Continuing Education Classes

Today I paid my 8 hours of time to continuing education to keep my Masters/Journeyman's license active in the state of Kentucky. The first 4 hour class dealt with make-up air for furnaces and water heaters, instantaneous heaters in varying applications.

It was then followed by building codes relating to drilling and notching structure wood, then showed a MythBuster's clip of the water heater explosion experiment.

The class ran out of content quickly.......they let us out almost a couple hours early.....then told us to come back for a second class relating to business finance.

Two different classes........two different formats. The second class was about how we manage cash flow...the purpose of knowing accounting skills and the like.

There was only 3 in the class.........??? (This was the first class ever, everyone probably is waiting till the last minute and taking the august session) and all 3 of us use a CPA for accounting services.

The lady had a little to work with but we curtailed the topics and entertained many pools of thought.

Out of the 3 in the class, two of them had the plumbing businesses that were in the family, handed down.

I was the one who mentioned, "Self-Created" which apparently rubbed the two guys the wrong way.........just slightly. They was a little quick to defend this stance that it's not that easy......and I agree.

But, knowing the comedic idiot I am on a regular basis.......I was shocked to hear their response when I just casually made that statement.

?????

Anyhew,

We got out a little early and I'm good for the year!

What I did hear today was down right disturbing....and this is the true reason why I posted this....and how disappointing the news was:

Found out that Kentucky is soon to drop the code courses that was offered by the plumbing inspectors at their own donation of time.

The state is rounding up, making cuts into the workforce down in Frankfort and will cut out 12 jobs down at the main office.

This means that this will further strain an already struggling department because they have the inspectors covering too much ground already, and this causes delays in the final approvals of plumbing systems along with okaying plan submissions and drawings.

This course I believe was the best thing to happen to trade for those who were trying to study for their Journeyman's or Masters to test out and get the passing grade.

This class was very in-depth, covered a vast array of knowlege bases and it was perfect as it had licensed Master Plumbers, those who also doubled as plumbing inspectors to give insight of what we are around every single day.

The attitude of the situation was one of discouragement, they've been doing this for the love of the trade and the state of Kentucky somehow blew through a 78 million dollar surplus that existed just last year..............????

It's wrong on all counts........once again Kentucky is suffering due to the hands of people that cannot control what is or is not done.

There are many MANY colleges taking it upon themselves to offer classes that do qualify as continuing education courses....but it's no where near the same as having the people we work with every day who know the code as it's their life's work, not just another book and paper class.

There has got to be a way to salvage this very important, well needed program to keep plumbers not only knowledgeable but give them the instruction to get their licensing.

I was in one of only two classes that did a full 4 year apprenticeship in the state of Kentucky......it folded soon after; money.

What do you do in a situation like this?

There's got to be a way to pull these minds together and provide the ability to continue on this line of thinking.

If I had serious capital....I'd be the first one to stand up to the plate and say screw the state and get thinking minds alike once again back together, get this situation permanently solved where incoming and existing plumbers have the given luxury of getting this much needed education.

The whole situation pisses me off......especially now when I offered a $3000 donation last year to insure this program keeps legs under it.........and now it's leaving.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 05-10-2008, 11:49 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Master's Continuing Education Classes

I just took my classes recently for the year. I chose to go to one that fit me : it was all about running a profitable service business!!! It was awesome to be talking business with a professional sponsored by the North Carolina State board. The instructor was named R. Tripp and it seems he runs (or ran) a succesful HVAC service company, and offered good advice about managing the business end of service contracting, which is just as important as knowing and applying the technical codes.
    Next year I will probably end up taking a more technical course, but this was a good experience for me as a new business owner.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties in your state, Dunbar, hope it works out alright.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Up here we pay for the class. They are given by certified instructors.
      sigpic

Comment

That is just sad to hear Dunbar.

I feel the trade is taking a hit everywhere. Those of us that really care are losing ground. there will be nothing to salvage for next generations

Out here, the instructor for the UPC code class is retiring, and no one is going to fill the position. An excellent instructor, and he will be greatly missed.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

"There are many MANY colleges taking it upon themselves to offer classes that do qualify as continuing education courses....but it's no where near the same as having the people we work with every day who know the code as it's their life's work, not just another book and paper class."

Not necessarily so, at least around here. Our local colleges offer classes for Plumbing & Electrical Inspectors, Code and Sub-Code Official, and the like and have for years. These are recognized by the State as qualifying for CE credit or as part of the curriculum toward obtaining an inspectors license in NJ. The instructors that I have had have all been people from the trade or enforcement (past & present inspectors) with 15 or more years under their belt. The quality of the material presented and relevance to the trade is excellent. Their insight and first-hand knowledge is the plus that makes these courses so much more than just a run-of-the-mill book and paper course which we both agree would not be of much piratical use to someone in the field.

And yes here you pay for the classes as you would any other college course. Independant computer-based testing is by Prometric, which helps to keep it all above board.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 05-11-2008, 10:47 AM. Reason: fixed some typos
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

anything that makes us smarter makes us better{hopefully} even this site with discussions ive had with a lot of my colleagues and posts read, we have a few down here that teach but all charge,i personally fell related trade info should be shared and not stored to be forgotten.learn on!

Comment

In NC, capitalism stepped in. The state mandated continuing ed. and the classes/instructors had to be approved.

That means ANYBODY can do it. And now it seems there are companies that teach classes everywhere. Believe it or not, I think this is better.

Put the gov't in charge of it and it will usually be over budget, behind, and generally screwed up.

I've taken classes where I didn't learn anything where I felt the guys taking the class were more qualified than the instructor. On the other hand, I've taken classes where I've learned alot.

So I will seek out those instructors in the future. The private sector with competition will weed out the ones that aren't very good. I guess I like the choice. If the state was completely in charge then I would be forced to take classes from their instructor. And he/she might be an idiot.

J.C.

Comment

I wish the state would mandate continuing education here. I would not mind dedicating time to refresh my memory.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not too happy about the recent happenings involving the education programs evolving around the plumbing division in the state of Kentucky.

I have an idea...an expensive idea that is geared towards unity in the plumbing profession across the United States. It subdivides into many sectors to specialize in giving the plumbing tradesmen the ability to interact/seek information.

Domains are bought...possibly 2010 or 11. I'll probably have to put a quarter million at it to work....and pray that it takes off. It could easily go either way .....but if it launches and becomes a success, I'll have mfgs. of plumbing products/tool mfgs. begging me to pay for ad space on the setup. I certainly won't mention this again but if I say I'm going to do something, I'll do it. This idea will be my contribution to the history of plumbing in the United States, even Canada and Austrailia if they so want to communicate/take part in the process.

It's coming!

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    I wish the state would mandate continuing education here. I would not mind dedicating time to refresh my memory.
                    It doesn't have to be mandated for you to attend. I have been attending CEU classes for as long as I can remember.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      Thanks for the responses.

I'm not too happy about the recent happenings involving the education programs evolving around the plumbing division in the state of Kentucky.

I have an idea...an expensive idea that is geared towards unity in the plumbing profession across the United States. It subdivides into many sectors to specialize in giving the plumbing tradesmen the ability to interact/seek information.

Domains are bought...possibly 2010 or 11. I'll probably have to put a quarter million at it to work....and pray that it takes off. It could easily go either way .....but if it launches and becomes a success, I'll have mfgs. of plumbing products/tool mfgs. begging me to pay for ad space on the setup. I certainly won't mention this again but if I say I'm going to do something, I'll do it. This idea will be my contribution to the history of plumbing in the United States, even Canada and Austrailia if they so want to communicate/take part in the process.

It's coming!
                      Back in 2005 I sat with an Inspector from Kentucky during an ICC EduCode Conference. As I recall he said at the time he was still working on codes from the 70s (maybe 80s) because Kentucky could not afford to adopt new ones.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        Back in 2005 I sat with an Inspector from Kentucky during an ICC EduCode Conference. As I recall he said at the time he was still working on codes from the 70s (maybe 80s) because Kentucky could not afford to adopt new ones.

Mark

I wonder if Tim House was the director of the division of plumbing at that time.

He's a fresh drink of water to what Kentucky follows, NPC. We base everything off the maximum, not the minimum demand a fixture will handle.

Got a name? Certain parts of Kentucky are excluded just by the number of teeth in their head and if they choke every time they laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          I wonder if Tim House was the director of the division of plumbing at that time.

He's a fresh drink of water to what Kentucky follows, NPC. We base everything off the maximum, not the minimum demand a fixture will handle.

Got a name? Certain parts of Kentucky are excluded just by the number of teeth in their head and if they choke every time they laugh.
                          No sorry no names but where ever he was he complained about people still letting their sewage drain into the local creek.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            No sorry no names but where ever he was he complained about people still letting their sewage drain into the local creek.

Mark
                            Given that Kentucky has the strictest plumbing codes that deter the severe ignorance of the latter.....the state has a long way to go in policing it's continuing problems as found in any state, some more than others.

Names would put clarity to your statement, as I know nearly all of them
                            at this point.

To redirect your response about my next endeavor, my intentions are not to restructure local codes or promote code revisions. As I repeat it's to get the focus back at the plumber's helper, the apprentice, the journeyman plumber, the master plumber. Now that would exclude california as a whole instantly since they don't exercise that structure of levelled knowledge. Don't know why but if it's like Ohio, it's a shame to the good plumbers I know on this site that they've been grouped in lesser categories for whatever reason.

But of course, it would be useless to isolate as too many states have went to that cover-all grouping. I'm after the true tradesman that wants one place to gain information of the inner workings of their state when it comes to codes, classes, courses, times/events, credit hour requirements, everything so that it gives a one place-one stop shop attitude like walmart..go to get a dozen eggs....stop and buy a camera and while you're at it.....leave with a couch.

I truly believe that any plumber in any state would rather harbor the title of master plumber as that denotes the highest level of knowledge afforded by trade name. Can be used quite advantageously sp? for business purposes such as advertising and the like.

For me, I feel my journeyman's gained more momentum than my master's. It starts an old argument of what has the greater value as one can criticize one particular individual for not "adding up" to the license one carries.

I really truly wish I would of obtained my Ohio masters before they idiocized the trade and gave everyone a book and say now you're a plumber. Mixes the good with the bad too easily, diminishing the trade value instantly.

*draws cup of water from creek*

BTW I wrote the tags on this link
                            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 05-13-2008, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Illinois has continued ed. usually reps from companies come in and talk about service of their products, cross connecetion etc. I attend at the Local Union Hall, they sponsonr them.

I always thought Illinois had the toughest codes...

Comment

Working...
                              X