Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Customer called...

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
    I understand thats what keeps them calling,that "excellent cost" but it is in my best interest to protect myself and have the equipment and knowledge to fully take care of their situation.

A camera would have done this.

I didn't always have a camera, and yes, they aren't cheap, but it is part of the 100% customer satisfaction experience that I want to provide my customer with.

I told my wife the other day, I want my customers to use me because I have the right equipment and knowledge to complete the job. Because I have pride in my work and give them excellent customer service, not because I am cheaper then the next guy or because i gave them a deal

deals are furthest from my mind, if the job called for a camera ont he first meeting, I am the professional, I make the decision, and the customer is offered the camera. They pay me

I want my customers to change their train of thoughts, West Coast Plumbing is the cheapest, here is their number, I want them to think, West Coast Plumbing always solves my problems, let me give you their number

I like the way you think! But where do you stop? What if you camera'd the line and it was broken down. Did you happen to bring the backhoe with you? Do you own a backhoe? When you started your own business did you buy every tool and piece of equipment you might need? Me either.
    And until I was able purchase that piece of equipment I either referred or borrowed. We all have to do it from time to time.

If you broke that clog free, like N.I.P did, even at four feet and told the homeowner he should have it camera'd HE WOULD HAVE DECLINED!. He did decline. N.I.P. offered to come back with the camera, at a cheaper time.
    Not because he's the cheapest,(apparently he's not- judging from the way the homeowner haggled) because that's the best value.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
      And as i was saying, i can appreciate his standards.

BUT

The issue again is, no camera on location, and now the call back 2 weeks later, and now this fight. The 2nd co had a camera, proved there was nothing in the pipe after clearing it. Now who is he going to call if it happens again??

The whole thing is to give your customer a complete service. Which im sure N.I.P was trying to give the customer. Im not faulting NIP in any way, im proving a point that if he had just camered the line to begin with, knowing he couldnt pass the 4ft., he wouldve saved this problem from happening alltogether.

Now. You ask about flat rate. This isnt going to turn into a flat rate arguement, because this isnt what its intended for. From the sounds, (i wasnt there) and diagnosing, he shouldve probably guessed stack blockage to begin with, with the water dripping down into the basement. I wouldve done the same thing. You can give the customer his options UP FRONT. Like, say, this is the 1st time you had a problem, lets clear the blockage, and check the condition of your pipe. Ill give you a DVD of your line, and you will know if you are going to have any problems in the future.

OPTION 1= Cable line w/ large machine, Video Inspection of pipe.
      OPTION 2= Cable line w/ large machine.

Customer chooses option 2. I have the camera on site with me, the customer signed for the 1st option, and signed on the price. Now i cable the line, realizing i cant pass 4ft. I now tell the homeowner i cant pass the 4ft mark, I was able to clear your clog, but lets take alook and see why i cant pass the spot, there could be something stuck, or possibly a break. Customer refuses on the camera, signs off on the invoice, and now you do not give him a warranty and state on the invoice you could not pass the 4ft mark and customer refused video inspection.

He wouldve had the option to have to line video inspected right there.

Now on certain circumstances for my own benefit, (and this customer would be prime example), i would take the camera out for my own knowledge (not charge the customer) to see what the problem is.

We all go to every job, hoping to get the sewer running.....bottom line is the customer called NIP because he had a problem the pipe, it clogged. Why did it clog. Paper towels helped, but there couldve been something stuck in the line that we will never know because he didnt camera the line, and the customer called someone else who had a camera on him.

Very good. And I like that you would have put the camera in for your own curiosity (or protection). Of course, the homeowner may not have let you, especially if you told him he couldn't see the dvd since he didn't pay.
      But my point is, NIP is in no predicament. He offered the camera, the man refused. You offer the camera, the man refuses. So what if you happen to have it on board.
      I think NIP has gone to bed-I think I will to. It's been fun!
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
        I like the way you think! But where do you stop? What if you camera'd the line and it was broken down. Did you happen to bring the backhoe with you? Do you own a backhoe? When you started your own business did you buy every tool and piece of equipment you might need? Me either.
        And until I was able purchase that piece of equipment I either referred or borrowed. We all have to do it from time to time.

If you broke that clog free, like N.I.P did, even at four feet and told the homeowner he should have it camera'd HE WOULD HAVE DECLINED!. He did decline. N.I.P. offered to come back with the camera, at a cheaper time.
        Not because he's the cheapest,(apparently he's not- judging from the way the homeowner haggled) because that's the best value.
        Your right on. But if it was confirmed right there on the spot that it was broken, then at least he could tell the homeowner that ( who probably would fix it himself lol ) that its broken. Gave him the price right there to replace or fix. If the homeowner agreed to fix it, then they both could come to terms on when to fix it. If the customer didnt agree to fix it, then he just washed his hands of it, and no more complaining.

I worked for Drain cos. for 11 yrs before i went on my own. I knew what i needed to start a drain business. 3 sizes of machines, a camera, and a locater. They were the 1st pieces of equipment i bought. I had a crappy van, but the right equipment. Its a different ball game, plumbing and drain cleaning. For 2 yrs i didnt touch plumbing...so i would find breaks in lines, and i didnt replace them, i gave them to plumbing cos. Now i do both. Its a complete service.

Im sure in time NIP will have the equipment that he needs a provide a sound and full service that he can. I can tell by his posts that he does care for the customers, and it sounds like he is an honest guy. These post are not about his character, its just an experienced guy who has been cleaning and videoing lines for 14yrs giving some advice, so he doesnt get into this problem again, thats all.

Everyone does there things differently. If my advice, can help someone move along and do a better job, or be a better company, then i feel good.
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
          Very good. And I like that you would have put the camera in for your own curiosity (or protection). Of course, the homeowner may not have let you, especially if you told him he couldn't see the dvd since he didn't pay.
          But my point is, NIP is in no predicament. He offered the camera, the man refused. You offer the camera, the man refuses. So what if you happen to have it on board.
          I think NIP has gone to bed-I think I will to. It's been fun!
          Yep, good thread.
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

[quote=Drain Medic;142493]
            I worked for Drain cos. for 11 yrs before i went on my own. I knew what i needed to start a drain business. 3 sizes of machines, a camera, and a locater. They were the 1st pieces of equipment i bought. I had a crappy van, but the right equipment. Its a different ball game, plumbing and drain cleaning. For 2 yrs i didnt touch plumbing...so i would find breaks in lines, and i didnt replace them, i gave them to plumbing cos. Now i do both. Its a complete service.
            quote]

Not to question your experience or anything, but you are touching plumbing if you're clearing drains. Do you have to have a Master Plumbers license to run a drain co.?

Comment

Synical thought...this guy goes from drain cleaner to drain cleaner, playing the same trick on the one before to get something free.
              Just a humorous, synical thought.

Comment

[quote=SlimTim;142495]
                Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                quote]

Not to question your experience or anything, but you are touching plumbing if you're clearing drains. Do you have to have a Master Plumbers license to run a drain co.?
                ABSOLUTELY

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  Synical thought...this guy goes from drain cleaner to drain cleaner, playing the same trick on the one before to get something free.

Ya very true, it could be all that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    My father said that as well...Another funny thing, I have only spoke with the wife on the phone (initial call and this one). But when I was at the house for 3-1/2 hours I never saw her once.

I do a flush test with paper to try to catch anything maybe I missed with the rodder. Usually a roll will clog up the line if it is not cleared all the way.

Thanks so much for the feedback and opinions. I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                    X