X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer called...

First of all, I do not guarantee rodding. Especially when I pull "flushable" towels out.

A sewer was rodded about 2 weeks ago, the clog was cleared, there was some difficulty getting it done. I guess it backed up again a couple days ago. Name brand company came out, rodded, camera'd, found nothing and gave customer the bill. Customer asked if I could refund the difference in the bills.

I did tell the customer to CALL ME if there were anymore problems...I would have helped.

Any opinions?

Re: Customer called...

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
    First of all, I do not guarantee rodding. Especially when I pull "flushable" towels out.

A sewer was rodded about 2 weeks ago, the clog was cleared, there was some difficulty getting it done. I guess it backed up again a couple days ago. Name brand company came out, rodded, camera'd, found nothing and gave customer the bill. Customer asked if I could refund the difference in the bills.

I did tell the customer to CALL ME if there were anymore problems...I would have helped.

Any opinions?
    yea, how long did you laugh before you hung up on him?

Comment

does your invoice state no warranty on stoppages?

Comment

Well hopefully you stated on the invoice that there is NO warranty. If its not written, its not real.
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I have it written on all my invoices,

"standard warranty 12 months on parts and labor unless otherwise noted on invoice. (excludes drain cleaning)"

Why didn't they call you back, thats not cool forget about their refund, they should have given you a chance to solve their problem. Not only that, wipes went down, no good, I always not what I pull back for reference.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Did you,
            • Notate on the bill you retrieved flushables out of the drain?
            • Run water during and extensively thereafter?
            • Warn the customer to stop putting them down the drain?
            • Let them know that they need to flush twice on old piping systems?
            • Make sure they signed the bill stated foreign objects are in the drain?
            All the above is crucial.

There is a "reasonable man theory" where you should be afforded the ability to correct a problem.

I've got to admit........I can only maybe name a few times where I've had a drain clog up right away.

I run so much water during drain cleaning that the customer asks me to stop it......knowing I have them running every single faucet in the house.

Sometimes when a customer purposely calls another without calling you back, that means they either didn't feel comfortable with your presence or efforts, or didn't like the charge.

I'll be the first to say that I promise that this happens with customers of mine, and they do call other plumbers. I'm a straight-shooter and you don't have to like me in what I say about you or your plumbing problem. I rub people wrong when they think they're going to "one-over" me in the meeting of the minds and never do I walk in the house starting that type of lingo.

It's the guy who's embarrassed in front of his wife that his stupid $14.99 tool kit couldn't save the day and the family retirement account.

So.......

He gets defensive and showoffy in front of the mrs. tellling me that he knows more and I'm just the available grunt for the task at hand.

To just stop my rambling, never back down. You back down and you'll be the grinding stone to your stance of being a somebody or a nobody.
            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 05-11-2008, 06:54 PM.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
              I run so much water during drain cleaning that the customer asks me to stop it......knowing I have them running every single faucet in the house.

exactly, and I turn it back on telling them I need to finish my job, the more water I run, the better I feel the stoppage is gone
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Ther truley is no shortage of morons in the world. I wish I had gotten this call, Oh the fun I could have had.
                sigpic

Comment

If there is one thing I have learned doing plumbing service for the public its this: Some (many) people are idiots. I have accepted this as a fact of life, and I try not to get upset anymore when these mentally challenged people call me.

If a customer called another person to work on a drain that I have worked on and then had the gall to call me and ask for a refund or whatever, I would tell them, "No, I don't guarantee stoppages, and even if I had, you should have called me back to remedy the situation myself!!!" *click!*
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    does your invoice state no warranty on stoppages?
                    Yes, no guarantee. I wrote on the invoice what was found in the line etc. After all rodding when a clog is cleared, I do a paper flush. This usually invloves a whole roll. He declined it...it would have taken more time.
                    This happened again two weeks later. I still would have helped them. I even explained why they should call me back if a problem developes.

I did not get the chance to ask how long the other guy was there.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                      Yes, no guarantee. I wrote on the invoice what was found in the line etc. After all rodding when a clog is cleared, I do a paper flush. This usually invloves a whole roll. He declined it...it would have taken more time.
                      This happened again two weeks later. I still would have helped them. I even explained why they should call me back if a problem developes.

I did not get the chance to ask how long the other guy was there.
                      What were the circumstances about the job? What did you pull out, type of cutter you used, how far out were you, etc?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        What were the circumstances about the job? What did you pull out, type of cutter you used, how far out were you, etc?
                        Its all here...

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17399

Comment

Basically, the customer is wanting you to pay for the camera. What a jerk.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

The bummer about the whole thing is, you didnt have the camera. If you had the camera, you couldve seen what you were hitting, or what the problem was 4ft in.

If i was the customer, id be pretty upset myself. But i wouldnt have called another company. I wouldve called you back. But if i really think about it. I paid the money for you to come out to clean it. You didnt have a camera to diagnose why you couldnt pass the 4ft. spot. You basically left the customer with a bill for 3hrs, no answer to what the problem is, no answer on how to correct the problem. And no warranty.

He called a name company just out of spite for the camera most likely.

Its a tough situation you have going.

The whole issue is, he had someone else camera the line and found nothing, so basically they cleared the problem, fixed the problem with different equipment, and made sure it wasnt going to back up again, probably gave him a warranty too.

I think the only thing you can do basically is maybe ask to see the video they made (hopefully they made one). Instead of getting into an arguing match maybe offer him a free cleaning on a different line.

Any way you handle it, its going to not go in your favor. Either lose of customer and a bad headache, or lose of money in some way.

Good Luck.....Keep us posted.
                            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

If you already got paid, forget about it. This is not the type of long-term customer you want. Regardless of how it went down, you gotta get paid for your time.
                              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X