X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Vent conversion

Alright, I relocated my old John Wood 40 gal nat. gas heater to the basement of my house. Prior it was on the first floor and vented out through the roof w/ B-vent. However, now no chimney, so like any other plumber I found some old parts that I had kept and converted this heater to a power-vent. After a little trial and error finding the right blower, it has been working fine for about 6 months. Anyways, to my question. The gas valve is the A.O. Smith smart valve with the six green indicator lights to adjust temperature. My question is can I remote locate the temperature controls for this gas valve, how does the valve come apart, how many wires, etc? I have quite a large whirlpool tub and would like to be able to adjust the temperature up shortly before filling the tub to assure that there would be enough hot water. I was hoping to remote mount this control somewhere near the tub, saving myself a trip up and down the basement stairs. I have to enter the basement through an outside door and it is tough in the winter to do so. Plus I thought it would be pretty cool to have control over the water temperature from upstairs.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Re: Power Vent conversion

Unless you're looking to save energy...why not just install a tempering valve and keep the temp high?

Comment

Re: Power Vent conversion

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      Unless you're looking to save energy...why not just install a tempering valve and keep the temp high?
      Now why didn't I think of that. However, I think I would rather not have the heater set that high all the time though, as. As the temperature needs to be around 140 in order to fill the tub up to the proper level so that by the time the hot water runs out, (about 1/2 full) and the tub begins to fill w/cold water the tub is at the right temperature when full. Seeing as how the tub is only used once a week if that, I would hate to install a second tank or a larger tank just to accomodate this one fixture.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Working...
      X