Bradford White Warranty Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradford White Warranty Issue

so much for customer service on bradford white water heaters.

i installed a new lo nox water heater a few months back.

customer called last night, no hot water

go there to find a little water around the base of the heater. so i try to relite the heater with the built in spark igniter. nothing.

i remove the 4 screws to inspect the reason for the moisture and lack of spark. the igniter lead/ wire is damaged. the white insulation is melted. the heater is rusty and appears to be dripping from the flue.

i manually re-lite the heater with a lighter. the heater runs, but appers to be dripping onto the pilot.

i call up bradford this morning and there is only a $125.00 allowance for replacement and they refer me back to the local dealer where i purchased it from.

call them up and they say bring in the rating plate. they know nothing of $125. allowance.

how is it that i get stuck/ owner gets stuck with a heater that doesn't last 4 months and now expect me to replace it in a basement for peanuts.

problem is, i'm out of town for a couple of days and the customer will either have to pay someone else or wait until i get home and eat the difference in the $125.00

what ever happened to 1st year parts and labor replacement

who can possibly replace a heater in a basement/ no stairs for $125

i guess we'll see when the customer calls with the news

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: Bradford White Warranty Issue

Rick, Maybe I'm a bit naive but if it were me here is what I would do...

I would take the allowance replace the heater and keep the customer happy. Bradford is still the best name in my book. You are loosing a little time which may be bigger dollars on some other job but in the long run the Karma fairy will look out for you.

I'm surprised that Bradford only covers $125 that is a shame...

Comment

Sorry RICK but that is the usually rate paid by mfg's to do change out !
      they cannot take all the different variables into account when pricing change outs
      remember they have already lost money on this water heater they try to make reasonable change out that is based on normal ground floor they are not responsible for all the different housing designs out there
      normally on warranty i would collect any extra labor from the property owner or if you were doing the work yourself you could cal Bradford to possibly get extra labor allowance ?
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

In my area we call the supply house and tell our salesman that we have a leaker. He then contacts the Bradford White Authorized service person in our area and they go out and repair or replace the tank. Let them take the loss on replacing the tank, they are the ones who have a contract with Bradford White to service and replace when under warranty. I'm surprised that they do not have Authorized Bradford White service techs in your area to take care of this.
        ________
        Buy Vaporizers
        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM.
        Mike

Comment

Bradford White allows the $125.00, but you can submit more ont he allowance sheet.

Also, as far as I know, they have the best warranty on the books, I don't know of anyone else who beats it. If someone does, please let me know and maybe I will change the company I use.

If you call Bradford White, they will send their tech guy out to get it fixed.

Signature Sales reps them. Call them and get the info from them to see how extensive the tech guy gets.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            so much for customer service on bradford white water heaters.

i installed a new lo nox water heater a few months back.

customer called last night, no hot water

go there to find a little water around the base of the heater. so i try to relite the heater with the built in spark igniter. nothing.

i remove the 4 screws to inspect the reason for the moisture and lack of spark. the igniter lead/ wire is damaged. the white insulation is melted. the heater is rusty and appears to be dripping from the flue.

i manually re-lite the heater with a lighter. the heater runs, but appers to be dripping onto the pilot.

i call up bradford this morning and there is only a $125.00 allowance for replacement and they refer me back to the local dealer where i purchased it from.

call them up and they say bring in the rating plate. they know nothing of $125. allowance.

how is it that i get stuck/ owner gets stuck with a heater that doesn't last 4 months and now expect me to replace it in a basement for peanuts.

problem is, i'm out of town for a couple of days and the customer will either have to pay someone else or wait until i get home and eat the difference in the $125.00

what ever happened to 1st year parts and labor replacement

who can possibly replace a heater in a basement/ no stairs for $125

i guess we'll see when the customer calls with the news

rick.
            Rick, what do you think is wrong with the heater based on your inspection? I've seen different models of FVIR heater be kind of finicky about their operation. They're safer, but less forgiving. Dusty vents, makeup air, pilot overheating. What did it look like to you? Could it have been repaired and your fees submitted? Really just curious.

J.C.

Comment

I used to do warranty service work for AO Smith. $65 per service visit for up to an hour. (This was 8 years ago) Sometimes 5 calls a day from them during the dip tube and flue baffle recalls.

No problem calling them to get extra labor allowances. You just had to have a hotline to the right person otherwise you'de spend 20 minutes trying to get approval for 30 minutes of work.

When it came time for warranty tank replacements they were not as forgiving. $150 for residential and $300 commercial. No additional labor allowances.

$125 isn't half of what it should be for a tank replacement IMO.

We would break even or eek out a slight profit on the warranty work but stole a ton of customers from the original installers in the process. If they send a warranty rep to replace it, be aware of this.

Comment

Anything under the 6 year implied warranty I avoid when dealing with the dealings above simple repair.

If you're not an authorized rep on a warranty item and cause more repairs than the initial, you take the risk of voiding the tank warranty.

I don't know how many times I've told people that having a leaker under warranty is better than having one with electronic problems.

The leaker guarantees a new tank is coming, just have to pay the labor.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

We do B/W factory calls, have been since Rheem moved factories to Mexico ('88?). They allow an hour on each call, some go over and some go under, so it evens out. The tank replacement is what it is, and usually doesn't take that long on a newer tank anyway, since it's already (hopefully) up to code. We do a fair amount of service work for the smaller plumbing companies around here too that don't want to mess with the service, so I usually am careful not to 'steal' customers. Sometimes that can't be avoided anyway, if the other plumber makes himself look bad.
                  sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    I used to do warranty service work for AO Smith. $65 per service visit for up to an hour. (This was 8 years ago) Sometimes 5 calls a day from them during the dip tube and flue baffle recalls.

No problem calling them to get extra labor allowances. You just had to have a hotline to the right person otherwise you'd spend 20 minutes trying to get approval for 30 minutes of work.

When it came time for warranty tank replacements they were not as forgiving. $150 for residential and $300 commercial. No additional labor allowances.

$125 isn't half of what it should be for a tank replacement IMO.

We would break even or eek out a slight profit on the warranty work but stole a ton of customers from the original installers in the process. If they send a warranty rep to replace it, be aware of this.

YES THAT IS WHY I DID WARRANTY SERVICE ALSO BUT THE PRICING AS I DESCRIBED ABOVE IS THE WAY IT'S DONE I HAVE BEEN UNDER CONTRACT
                    FOR ALL WATER HEATER MFG'S AT ONE TIME OR OTHER
                    JERRYMAC
                    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
                      We do B/W factory calls, have been since Rheem moved factories to Mexico ('88?). They allow an hour on each call, some go over and some go under, so it evens out. The tank replacement is what it is, and usually doesn't take that long on a newer tank anyway, since it's already (hopefully) up to code. We do a fair amount of service work for the smaller plumbing companies around here too that don't want to mess with the service, so I usually am careful not to 'steal' customers. Sometimes that can't be avoided anyway, if the other plumber makes himself look bad.
                      The problem I've seen with all of the factory repair agreements is their maximum payout for a leaker. Every leaker I replace is almost never up to code. And not just 1 thing up to code, but more likely 3 or more. Then, you're required to pull/pay for a permit for every water heater replacement. And that's not covered either in the pay terms.

Just don't like the hassle of explaining to every customer who has a warranty that it only covers less than half of the costs.

J.C.

Comment

Sometimes this sort of thing happens, you win some, you lose some.

Some of the original installation cost should have been applied to the warranty that is furnished by the installer?

I laugh at installers charging $700-$800 to do a water heater with upgrades, and furnish them a warranty No room to uphold your warranty if you need to. It is all the cost of doing business.

It all evens out in the end. Sucks it had to happen, luckily it happens alot less with Bradford then other water heaters.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

it's a leaker. the warranty will cover repairs with their warranty co. but not replacements. that's up to me. so basically i'm responsible for the bad heater at $125. in labor for a 2 man basement job with no stairs.

fortunately as of this morning it's still hot and i'm out of town for another 2 days.

already had to pass on another heater job and 5 other service calls too.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I'm not crazy about doing the 1st year warrenty work. the pay just isn't that great. After the 1st year it's great. The parts are free and we charge our normal rate .
                            I just did a warrenty job on a tankless this morning and the owner of the buisness wanted me to do all his work. I had to tell him sorry I just can't move in on a local plumbers business. Another thing is never saying a job was done improperly . we just fix it with in reason. Or we give the original plumber a chance to fix it if the problem is to big. We don't bite the hands that through us big bones. Or could through us big bones in the future!!!
                            Last edited by saysflushable; 05-14-2008, 12:01 PM. Reason: miss spelled word

Comment

Water heaters are a big-ticket item. You have to make money on them. I have always taken the position that if I supply and install the heater I will guarantee that heater, at no cost to the customer, for the warranty period.

That came back to bite me when State started selling heaters with those stupid teensy elements with plastic nuts. They wouldn't even last a year, and I wasn't about to replace them with the same thing, so I had to go back on a bunch of them and install good elements out of pocket. From that point on, I refused to use State. (As a side note, I had bought a "lifetime" warranty heater from State and it failed in 7 years. By then, no one in southeast Idaho sold State any more, though the supplier replaced it for me with a plain warranty American heater. So much for lifetime.)

On another side note, I recently went on a job where there were two gas heaters in series. One was dead - a leaker. The other was newer and since the family only needed one heater and were super cheap, I simply bypassed the first heater.

Then I had to light the second heater. The moisture had made that impossible but I was able to do it after drying all the gas valve components thoroughly.

So, what tweaked this bit of memory lane was the statement that the water heater was in a place with no stairs. How about floor? Is there an unwarranted amount of moisture in the area that could damage a water heater and could the next one fail also?

Comment

Working...
                              X