Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pex ? Killing Off the "Mongo Man"?

Hey Guys,

I don't really start threads to often ( I am still new here )

But I am curious to hear some opinions

I started plumbing when I was only 16 and one of the first things I learn from my forum was the word "Mongo" ( Yes , scrap metal )

I am a plumber in NY , and until a bit ago PEX was a " NO GO" in my state and many others.

So with that said , here is something to think about and at the same time give me your opinion:

• If Pex becomes the "norm" IN all new construction will this "Kill off" the mongo?
    • We have ENOUGH PLASTIC in this world...WOULD YOU , consider yourself a "Green Friendly" plumber if you install PEX?
    • Do you think PEX is a GOOD thing for the environment or BAD thing.
    I would love to hear your opinions on this topic, and Off course THANKS!, in advance for the replies and I look forward to them as well!
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Re: Pex ? Killing Off the "Mongo Man"?

I think that compared to the kazillion tons of other plastics produced for damn near everything. (and quite a few of those useless things or stupid toys) the amount of plastics used for plumbing ( a most usefull commodity) is negligable. I am just plain tired of all this "green" crap, which is nothing more than a brilliant marketing scheme to get folks to buy more crap. Plumbing may or may not be "green" but in the long run I care a whole lot more about the health and safety of people than some half baked green religion thats sprouting up everyone.
    sigpic

Comment

Plastic bumpers on cars? Who'd go for that?

Comment

If it wasnt for copper/brass/aluminum aka mongo i wouldnt have any money for my summer clambake for the guys and some of the gc's i work for!!! that money would have to come out of my poket!!!

Comment

It can't be over, I just started collecting!!!

I was always to lazy then I realized the profits that can be made

Pex was just approved here, so we'll see what happens
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Just cashed in a years supply of scrap copper. Got $ 6,470.00 for it.
            sigpic

Comment

Yea It,ll never really take off! It'll go away like ABS and PVC

GET USE TO IT !!!!!!!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                I think that compared to the kazillion tons of other plastics produced for damn near everything. (and quite a few of those useless things or stupid toys) the amount of plastics used for plumbing ( a most usefull commodity) is negligable. I am just plain tired of all this "green" crap, which is nothing more than a brilliant marketing scheme to get folks to buy more crap. Plumbing may or may not be "green" but in the long run I care a whole lot more about the health and safety of people than some half baked green religion thats sprouting up everyone.
                1) THANKS for responding, It really means a lot

I agree with the whole GREEN thing and actually I am going to be blogging soon about all the FAKE green stuff that so many of these companies are pushing ,

FOR EXAMPLE :

Radiant heat is the new "green heat"

UMMMMM....NO!

How about bring back "Gravity heat systems" ....

Anyone remeber those bad boys ?

Best heat ever,

One Boiler , a few floor gates and let the magic work ( HEAT RISES )

Oh - what a concept

In FACT most of the "GREEN" has been removed from plumbing and replaced with GARBAGE products ( which I will also be blogging about soon )

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                Plastic bumpers on cars? Who'd go for that?

Exactly my point !

WE as plumbers and people as well , need to push back at some of these stupid products.....

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                If it wasnt for copper/brass/aluminum aka mongo i wouldnt have any money for my summer clambake for the guys and some of the gc's i work for!!! that money would have to come out of my poket!!!
                Exactly and CLAM bakes and BEER is what keep me plumbibg for so many years, ( I used to think when I was working - "Get this done and we're off the BBQ " )

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                It can't be over, I just started collecting!!!

I was always to lazy then I realized the profits that can be made

Pex was just approved here, so we'll see what happens

Oh yea, Mongo is the Plumbers tip of the day,

Sometimes the Mongo money is what feed me for the week when I was a helper and had a needy girl friend ( Joke )

Just cashed in a years supply of scrap copper. Got $ 6,470.00 for it.

Oh yea, One time A company I worked for got to gut this building and KEEP the scrap , All in all when we were done TOTAL WAS 32,000 ( OLD Hotel we gutted )

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Yea It,ll never really take off! It'll go away like ABS and PVC

GET USE TO IT !!!!!!!

I hope so, Because of another reason,

When I was younger, I worked for a plumbing company that used nothing but pex ( North Carolina ) ( USED to live there for a few years ).

Lets put it this way to keep it short ,

"There is a LOT more SKILL & Craftsmanship in copper domestic water VS pex"

Pex is sloppy and will only make this awesome trade open to a bunch of slobs.......... ( My opinion & and I have man reasons off course )

Also please feel free to keep this thread alive and debate of you like, Everyone can learn from a healthy debate
                Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 05-15-2008, 02:28 PM.
                Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I think I'm getting a migrane.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post

I agree with the whole GREEN thing and actually I am going to be blogging soon about all the FAKE green stuff that so many of these companies are pushing ,

FOR EXAMPLE :

UMMMMM....NO!

Best heat ever,

Oh - what a concept

In FACT most of the "GREEN" has been removed from plumbing and replaced with GARBAGE products ( which I will also be blogging about soon )
                    Though I agree, there are obviously going to be a plethora of companies & services trying to ride the "green" craze...that does not mean that high efficiency isn't real....
                    I have two customers from last summer that have been kind enough to keep me abreast of their heating bills compared with the year before.
                    One was a Buderus condensing boiler (touting 95% AFUE), the other a Burnham SCG direct vent (touting 85% AFUE).
                    Both have seen substantial drops in their gas bills...one paid $180 less one month this past winter, despite an increase in gas prices.
                    Both bills include average daily temperatures as well as therms used (CCF's).
                    Both customers will have paid off the expense of installation within ten years...one within five as long as his bill continues to be as low as it had been this winter.
                    "Green" is NOT a myth...yes there are frauds out there...but high efficiency really does save money.
                    As for tankless, I have had one customer give me a followup and yes, he saves on his bill...this is only one customer, but his bill was defintely lower over a 6 month period compared to previous bills at the same time of year.

Comment

Hey, I did the "Green Thing"

Over the last couple months I have been changing all the bulbs to compact fluorescent, I am now 95% compliant. The only bulbs I cannot change, are the ones that won't accept a fluorescent.

Costco has a great deal on them.
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Up Maine a woman changed the bulb in her daughters bedroom to one of the new compact flourescents. As she was screwing it in, she dropped it and if fell to the carpet and broke. Having read the directions on the package she knew the stuff inside was hazardous waste. She had no idea how to clean it up or dispose of it so she gives Home Depot a call. They direct her to the state EPA. They come out to her house, along with a clean up crew and $70,000 dollars later, she has a new carpet, a clean mobile home, and she decided to go back to regular bulbs.
                        sigpic

Comment

Up Maine a woman changed the bulb in her daughters bedroom to one of the new compact flourescents. As she was screwing it in, she dropped it and if fell to the carpet and broke. Having read the directions on the package she knew the stuff inside was hazardous waste. She had no idea how to clean it up or dispose of it so she gives Home Depot a call. They direct her to the state EPA. They come out to her house, along with a clean up crew and $70,000 dollars later, she has a new carpet, a clean mobile home, and she decided to go back to regular bulbs.
                          ...This I gotta see...got a link to the story?

Comment

[quote=PlumbingSkool;143283]1) THANKS for responding, It really means a lot

FOR EXAMPLE :

UMMMMM....NO!

Best heat ever,

Oh - what a concept

So you think that hydronic radiant is less efficient then radiators and baseboard heating?

Gravity systems; You think they were "greener" or "more efficient" ? Why because they dont have a circulator pump? Dont forget they weren't zoned either. How about the size of the mains? The bigger the main the more water they hold, the more water they hold the more btu's needed to heat the water. 1 BTU - The amount of heat it takes to raise 1 pound of water 1 degree. Think about how much water was in those 3" & 4" mains. An 80% boiler is more efficient then an old gravity system.
                            Last edited by Masterplumb; 05-16-2008, 11:24 AM. Reason: Spelling, Duh!

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post

FOR EXAMPLE :

UMMMMM....NO!

Best heat ever,

Oh - what a concept
                              You're over generalizing with your terms. I use to build Payne Beverly gravity furnaces. The had nothing to do with a boiler and they were not energy efficient but they were sure comfortable.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X