Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How is this legal?

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    I would like to see this subject brought to the finish line.I have installed close to a hundred three compartment sinks in restaurants and grocery stores.Three compartment and food prep indirect.The health department spooks me more than a city inspector.They are way more likely to address this issue.
    It only applies to "food handling" sinks which would not include dish washing sinks. However, in many commercial kitchens the sinks are multipurpose. One shift may wash dishes in it while the next may need to prep for salads.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

tomsv650, i'm curious as to what your take is on it so far? my take on it is it"s legal. personally i would never pipe such hideous thing like this. it's just plain lazy. you know as well as i do that drains with infrequent use need seal protection, how many f.d.'s have i installed that didn't have it ? ouch!

Comment

Lazy?
        While I agree that the way it is piped is not something I would come up with, I can't call it lazy. resourceful, inventive, but not lazy.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
          Only thing I can ad is, just imagine that your snaking a lav sink and the snake comes out of the floor drain flopping around. To clear the stoppage you have to run it from the floor drain.

What I don't understand is, it seems to me you would get sewer gasses from the sink(since the pipe ties in above the trap on the floor drain) and also since the lav sink is on the same wall as the toilet, that usually means the lav vent is tied into the toilet vent and you would get sewer gases from that also.

Am I making any sense?
          So there are figure fittings to the lavs thereby vents tying to sewer,opening the unprotected floor drain tailpece....FAIL

It would have to be done without traps needing an air break to protect them.Then you are running into a tailpiece that is almost 3' long(24"max.per code)with three gradient changes......FAIL

Comment

I decided to poke around my code to see whats legal for indirect waste in a commercial kitchen...here's a portion:

Indirect Wastes Required.
            1. Food Handling Establishments.
              1. Food handling establishments engaged in the storage, preparation, selling, serving, processing, or in any manner the handling of food shall provide: indirect waste piping for refrigerators, refrigerator coils, walk-in freezers or coolers, ice compartments, ice making machines, steam kettles, steam tables, potato peelers, egg boilers, coffee urns, coffee, soda and beverage trays and all similar types of enclosed equipment.
            It goes on to say:

2.Dishwashing pre-rinse sinks installed in combination with a commercial dishwasher, pot sinks, scullery sinks and other sinks are excluded from the indirect waste requirement and shall be directly connected to the sanitary drainage system.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              ben this only applies to prep sinks where there is a chance that food can come into contact with waste from a stoppage. not typically with dishwashing sinks.

rick.
              Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              I decided to poke around my code to see whats legal for indirect waste in a commercial kitchen...here's a portion:

1. Food handling establishments engaged in the storage, preparation, selling, serving, processing, or in any manner the handling of food shall provide: indirect waste piping for refrigerators, refrigerator coils, walk-in freezers or coolers, ice compartments, ice making machines, steam kettles, steam tables, potato peelers, egg boilers, coffee urns, coffee, soda and beverage trays and all similar types of enclosed equipment.
              It goes on to say:

2.Dishwashing pre-rinse sinks installed in combination with a commercial dishwasher, pot sinks, scullery sinks and other sinks are excluded from the indirect waste requirement and shall be directly connected to the sanitary drainage system.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                tomsv650, i'm curious as to what your take is on it so far? my take on it is it"s legal. personally i would never pipe such hideous thing like this. it's just plain lazy. you know as well as i do that drains with infrequent use need seal protection, how many f.d.'s have i installed that didn't have it ? ouch!
                Yeah it probably is/was legal, but that doesn't make it right. Who knows.

Like I said before, i've seen several of these over the years.

Comment

I had to reroute a lav into a floor drain once. It was at a parochial school. The lav wet vented the toilet and the vent went straight up the the roof. Some knucklehead tried to unstop it by rodding from the roof. They used too big of cable and it broke off in the 2" line. The rust started flaking off and caused it to backup continuosly. The back wall was in the mechanical room, and I had about 10" of space to work. I was cutting the cast iron pipe and twice my sawzall blade bounced and knicked the water lines. The second time was after I repaired it already I capped off the stub coming thru the slab and rerouted the lav into the water meter floor drain. Now the toilet isn't vented, but it flushes fine.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post

It goes on to say:

Excellent research Duckman.
                    Now I just need to find the time to find out why the plans on 95% of the plans for projects I've done require three compartment indirect put on the grease system.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Excellent research Duckman.
                      Now I just need to find the time to find out why the plans on 95% of the plans for projects I've done require three compartment indirect put on the grease system.
                      I've seen that in pics, I think it's a Cali thing..don't you guys have grease traps? (interceptors)

Comment

Working...
                      X