X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is this legal?

I did a job today where the lav sink drained into a floor drain. You could see the snake tie into the top of the floor drain. Infact, it was a back to back lav sinks and back to back floor drains. What gives? One plumber told me this isn't legal but i've seen several of these over the years.

Re: How is this legal?

I can't picture.

Indirect
    direct to tailpiece of floor drain
    figure ftg to figure ftg by way of wet vent

Hey,where were you yesterday,dude you blew it.
    Last edited by drtyhands; 05-15-2008, 11:59 PM.

Comment

indirect waste commercial service sink??

or an actuall restroom lavatory?? in a restroom with a toilet??
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

are there traps on the lavatories?

you already have a trap on the floor drain.

I re-read.

Comment

It was a commercial building, plain old lav sinks with toilets right next to them. Yeah, there was traps on the lavs and yeah, they tied to the tailpiece of floor drain. Infact, you have to run the floor drain to clear them. I've seen these with back to back floor drains and with one floor drain. Thank the snake gods for double drop heads.......

Comment

As Robert posted service sinks in commercial kitchens drain to floor sinks. I'm curious what type of business was there when it was roughed-in?

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Maybe this was a way, that was once legal, to get around needing a trap primer for the floor drain.
              Mike

Comment

Other than the probable double trapping, I can't find anything in the IPC that says you can't do it. And if it doesn't say you can't, you can.
                sigpic

Comment

My guess it is illegal. If it was done originally like that, and it was code, it would drain into a floor sink. That way it would not splash all over the floor. Does it even have a cone to direct it into the drain?

Comment

We see alot of the indirect waste lines for lav sinks in Philly, but only commercial. The ones i see have the line from the lav come straight down and dump into a funnel drain and into the floor drain which is trapped there.
                    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Any chance of a picture of this? I just want to see if I'm picturing this right.

Comment

i've seen it in commercial restraunts and what not..

Comment

5' or less, there is no purpose to trap an indirect waste, the floor sink it dumps into is trapped, unless :

5' to 15' in length requires a trap

15' or more in length, requires a trap and it's own VTR, not tied into any other vents
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Only thing I can ad is, just imagine that your snaking a lav sink and the snake comes out of the floor drain flopping around. To clear the stoppage you have to run it from the floor drain.

What I don't understand is, it seems to me you would get sewer gasses from the sink(since the pipe ties in above the trap on the floor drain) and also since the lav sink is on the same wall as the toilet, that usually means the lav vent is tied into the toilet vent and you would get sewer gases from that also.

Am I making any sense?

Comment

There's this plumbing supply house where retired master plumbers work and they were talking about this earlier in the week. This is what they said; a commercial kitchen sink has the 3 compartments. Wash, rinse, sanitize. By draining into a floor drain, this allows an air gap which is extra insurance in case of a stoppage.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X