Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

    I have gotten a lot of calls regarding run-of-the-mill things. In the evening, Saturday and Sunday.
    I know in this day and age, with all the stores open 7 days a week, and people what everything now. I mean, no one would think of calling a bank on Sunday.
    Is it a bit old fashioned to ask the customer to call back first thing Monday morning to set up an appointment? Or are the trades going to go the way of every other business...7 days a week?

    This is not about emergency service, just regular things, basement remodel, prices etc.

  • #2
    Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

    One of my best friends talked me into going self.
    He's a plumber as well, refused to work Sat's or Sundays and I respect that.
    I, on the other hand, have worked for service shops, when you're on call...you have NO life.
    I answer my bus line any time out of habit, been woken up at 3 am, answered it in the middle of thanksgiving...etc.
    I'd even raced out to a repipe an hour away on a Sunday morning to put a customers mind at ease over sweating pipes.
    He made it for three years, now he works for Home Depot...does alright, gets bennies and the works, but hates being a face in the crowd.
    In the end, I think he didn't do enough to keep work coming in...he was complacent, I think his motives for self employment may have been wrong as well.

    Established shops that have large ads all over the place can afford to skip calls, heck I miss alot of calls when it gets busy, but I ALWAYS callback regulars.
    If you're small or just starting up (I'm solo)...the call is yours to make...do you get enough business to afford not answering weekends?
    In my first year, that alone was a huge edge...I suppose before too long I may use an answering service, but for now, many of my regulars stay with me because they know they can get me on the phone anytime they need me.
    Whomever used the words "freedom" and "self-employment" in the same sentence can't have been successful on their own...at least not as a plumber..IMO.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

      It is rude. If they have a emergency, that is fine. However, if they call to ask general questions that could wait until Monday that is just inconsiderate.

      I really cherish the good customers and go out of my way to help them. I got two thank you notes when the customers sent their check in this week. That is the best feeling.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

        There's a simple answer if you don't want weekend calls. Have a business-only line and turn off the ringer on weekends.

        Personally, I take calls any time. I get a lot of calls on the weekend for during the week. Often, people will say that they called because they didn't want to miss me on a workday. Or they'd call really early in the morning and say they didn't want to call after I was already at work.

        Occasionally, if I don't already have something planned, I will work on a Saturday or Sunday.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

          I am very similar to Duckbutter in many ways. A small one-man shop focused on personal service. I answer calls all the time, but I don't see anything wrong with calling them back on Monday morning during your regular business hours if its a total non-emergency and you're spending time with your family.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

            aSK THEM if you can bring your friends and family to meet their friends and family while you do the service call......

            If they say NO , well then they have to wait till Monday , Unless its an emergency

            Thats how I always was, America needs to keep its family values no matter what the cost,

            God Bless America

            /rant
            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
            New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

              I'd just be happy to have the phone ring.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

                Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                I have gotten a lot of calls regarding run-of-the-mill things. In the evening, Saturday and Sunday.
                I know in this day and age, with all the stores open 7 days a week, and people what everything now. I mean, no one would think of calling a bank on Sunday.
                Is it a bit old fashioned to ask the customer to call back first thing Monday morning to set up an appointment? Or are the trades going to go the way of every other business...7 days a week?

                This is not about emergency service, just regular things, basement remodel, prices etc.
                I am a service company so I always try to answer the phone when it rings. When I receive this type of non-emergency call I simply explain to them that I am with my family and am out of the office now but I will gladly call them back on Mon. morning to schedule something that works for both of us. Is it rude....hell yeah, but hey at least the phone is ringing and there is work for you!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

                  Well, I always answer the phone...24/7. I do not want someone to hang up, especially if its an emergency. My thoughts are they are possibly going down the line calling, and I would hate for someone else to get them first.

                  Thanks for the input again.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

                    Originally posted by Herk View Post
                    There's a simple answer if you don't want weekend calls. Have a business-only line and turn off the ringer on weekends.

                    Personally, I take calls any time. I get a lot of calls on the weekend for during the week. Often, people will say that they called because they didn't want to miss me on a workday. Or they'd call really early in the morning and say they didn't want to call after I was already at work.

                    Occasionally, if I don't already have something planned, I will work on a Saturday or Sunday.
                    I do want to take emergency calls. I charge overtime and doubletime, does everyone else?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

                      This is spooky, just had a guy call me(9pm on a sunday) to get an estimate to replace his ductwork.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

                        Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                        I do want to take emergency calls. I charge overtime and doubletime, does everyone else?
                        I give them two options...the night/weekend rate, or I can get to it on the next available business day.
                        Very surprising how many frantic, panicking emergency calls will wait for monday.
                        When I'm the one scheduling off hour jobs, there's no extra charge...if I'm so busy that I have to go late or on a weekend, thats not their fault.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

                          Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          This is spooky, just had a guy call me(9pm on a sunday) to get an estimate to replace his ductwork.
                          LOL...I'm wondering if it wasn't one of us....(not me!...I'd never!)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

                            Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            LOL...I'm wondering if it wasn't one of us....(not me!...I'd never!)
                            I really thought one of you guys were pulling my leg but it's a 757 area code.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Is it old fashioned to ask a customer on the weekend...

                              I have a separate business number and it is forwarded to my cell phone 24/7 as is my home phone. I can't help but answer every call. I feel like if one of MY customers need me i want to be there for them.

                              But my customers almost never call me after hours or on the weekend unless it's important. They know I value my family time. Frequently they will call and say "oh, I was hoping to get your voice mail and leave a message".

                              With caller i.d. it's also easy to avoid the "talkers".

                              I almost never answer an out of town area code and definately don't answer the "out of area" calls. It's always a "fix your credit, or warranty" or some other sales call. If not, then they will leave a message.

                              Of course, I don't advertise. All of my work is referral. So I never get a stranger after hours asking my rates.
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X