X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoVent...

Could one use a SoVent system in residential applications? Could you envision situations where it would be practical?

J.C.

Re: SoVent...

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Could one use a SoVent system in residential applications? Could you envision situations where it would be practical?

J.C.
    I had to google it. I dont think it would be accepted around here.

http://www.sovent.com/

Comment

Where's Mark when I need him?

J.C.

Comment

Ben posted a thread on Sovent about a year ago..I recall that it's not legal in my state under "combination waste & vent", but might be in other jurisdictions.
        I know in Japan they have a similar system that works quite well, I beleive Toto makes it.

Comment

Here ya go:
          Sovent drainage systems - RIDGID Plumbing Forum, Woodworking Forum, Power Tool Forum

Comment

J.C.
            Yes assuming you mean multi-family multi-story residential and that it is approved in your area. However, there is no benefit to installing SoVent in single family residential construction.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I saw this in a high rise condo bldng in Denver, interesting
              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

J.C.
                To simplify things consider SoVent = Soil + Vent in a single stack. On a single or two story house they would be no benefit to SoVent. The fittings are very pricey and your layout would be limited.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  Ben posted a thread on Sovent about a year ago..I recall that it's not legal in my state under "combination waste & vent", but might be in other jurisdictions.
                  I know in Japan they have a similar system that works quite well, I beleive Toto makes it.

And there aint a snow ball's chance in hell of Mass ever accepting it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    And there aint a snow ball's chance in hell of Mass ever accepting it.
                    Yer not gonna beleive this...the MA board allowed it on one building about 5 or 6 years back in the Boston area (might have been Braintree), they wanted to see how well it worked ...that was the last I'd heard of it.
                    My guess is your right, I don't see MA approving it for mainstream use, but then, ask me ten years ago about PEX and I'd have said the same...

Comment

Betcha there was a plain brown envelope passed on that one.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        Betcha there was a plain brown envelope passed on that one.
                        Duh!

Comment

I have installed teh system in Hotels and dormitories before and have no problems with it. I was skeptical at first, but overcame it after the first one on the college dorms.

As far as a single family residence, as Mark said, I dont see any benefit from it at all.

Regards,

Comment

Mass Code
                            248 CMR: 2.06: (2)(s) Single stack sanitary drainage system (Sovent)
                            Mike
                            Last edited by myakka; 05-19-2008, 09:41 PM. Reason: Accidental smiley face creation

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                              Mass Code
                              248 CMR: 2.06: (2)(s) Single stack sanitary drainage system (Sovent)
                              Mike
                              OK, ya got me looking.
                              NH...looks like we'll be having a snowball fight in hell.
                              Myakka...the code would be 10.06...the numbers where changed in the 03 edition.
                              Not only were the numbers changed, but some of the code too...read up and gloat..apparently what I'd heard was correct...here it is:

(t) Single Stack Sanitary Drainage System-(“So-Vent”). An engineered single stack system employing the use of aerator and de-aerator fittings, designed in compliance with Cast Iron Sovent Design Manual No. 802 and ANSI standard ASME/ANSI B16.45-87 may be used in buildings provided the following requirements are satisfied:
                              1. Every such system shall be:
                                1. designed or engineered by a qualified person;
                                2. plans of such system shall be approved by a Massachusetts registered professional engineer; and
                                3. Special-Permission must be sought and granted by the Board pursuant to 248 CMR 3.04 before installation of such system.
                              2. Piping material shall be Type K, L, M, or DWV hard drawn copper tubing or cast iron.
                              3. All fittings shall be made of cast brass or drawn wrought copper or cast iron and must be of DWV design.
                              4. No part of a copper system shall receive the waste from urinals.
                              5. Any change or redesign in the So-Vent system shall be subject to the requirements of 248 CMR 10.06(2)(t).
                              6. Every So-Vent system shall have at least one full size vent stack that meets the following requirements:
                                1. The diameter of the full size vent stack is no smaller than three inches.
                                2. The vent stack shall run undiminished in size from the base of the soil or waste stack to a point 18 to 24 inches above the roof or reconnect to a stack vent installed in accordance with 248 CMR 10.16(4)(b).

Comment

Working...
                              X