Cell Hell (phone, that is)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell Hell (phone, that is)

I'm just curious. I assume that, like me, for you service guys, your truck is your office. I want to make sure I'm in the ball park with everyone else.

How many minutes do you subscribe for? What type of phone? Phone carrier and rates?

And a bonus question (not for you folks in CA) do you take calls while you're driving? Do you pull over if possible? Does your voice mail indicate to your customers that you may be driving and for safety sake will call back.

For me: 1400 minutes w/rollover,(wife and 2 kids on the plan) I think I will up it to 2100 soon.
    Blackberry 8700 - Cingular/ATT -- It started at $130/mnth. Now that my teenage son has a girl friend it's up to $170

I'm usually the first to yell at drivers in front of me on their cell phones. Of course, I have to stop yelling when i answer mine.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Cell Hell (phone, that is)

1200 minutes/month I think, I never use them all. Verizon wireless, I have the indestructible military-spec G'zone phone that can be dropped off a building or in a toilet and still work!!!
    Use a hands-free ear-piece when driving!!!
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Put your boy to work paying for ALL of his minutes. Pay him fairly if he works for you. Great lessons will be learned.

I have the oldest plan around. My state only with around 300 min. I get free incoming, once again my state only, so I take all the incoming I can get. But if I'm making a call, my goal is to get off the phone now.

J.C.

Comment

I have added radios to my trucks so that when the phone rings the radio turns off and my phone functions, sound and voice are controlled by the radio. Sometimes I will be on the phone for the majority of a five hour drive. The phone seems expensive but when you consider the time I save by double-tasking it is well worth it.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Put your boy to work paying for ALL of his minutes. Pay him fairly if he works for you. Great lessons will be learned.
          J.C.
          He does work with me in the summer. He just got home from college yesterday. He said he would like a week off. I said so would I-you can have monday off.
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            I have added radios to my trucks so that when the phone rings the radio turns off and my phone functions, sound and voice are controlled by the radio. Sometimes I will be on the phone for the majority of a five hour drive. The phone seems expensive but when you consider the time I save by double-tasking it is well worth it.

Mark
            That's pretty cool. Can you give more info about them? Brand?

Comment

Smart Slim. Both you and your kid. He'll probably learn as much or more with you than in college while his degree will give him more options.

Bet he can text message faster than you can plumb!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                That's pretty cool. Can you give more info about them? Brand?
                Most of the companies make them now but many of them require a separate module for the Blue-tooth. I am using the Pioneer Blue-tooth enabled radios because the Blue-tooth is built in.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...In%20Bluetooth

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  Most of the companies make them now but many of them require a separate module for the Blue-tooth. I am using the Pioneer Blue-tooth enabled radios because the Blue-tooth is built in.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...In%20Bluetooth

Mark
                  nice..do they need to be installed by a tech and what is the approx. cost?

Or is it wireless..I just stick it somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Smart Slim. Both you and your kid. He'll probably learn as much or more with you than in college while his degree will give him more options.

Bet he can text message faster than you can plumb!

J.C.
                    Yep, and it'll put some muscle on him too! And in what other trade can you go from a shotgun shack to a $3 mil. home before lunch? (he was quick to decide which way he would like to live)
                    You're right about the texting, and the problem is the texts are .10 each!

Comment

Hey Mark, I didn't see anything at that site that I could play my 8-tracks on!

Comment

I AM A BUSY WORKER BEE ! !
                        I USE CRICKET PHONE,
                        UNLIMITED IN AND OUT GOING NATION WIDE ! ! UNLIMITED TXT, WEB,PICTURES,PH.INFORMATION
                        FLAT RATE $ 50.00 PER MONTH SO THE MORE I USE IT THE CHEAPER IT GETS
                        JERRYMAC
                        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                          nice..do they need to be installed by a tech and what is the approx. cost?

Or is it wireless..I just stick it somewhere?
                          It replaces the radio which you currently have in your vehicle. I suppose you could install it yourself but that would be like a radio installer installing his own shower valve. It may work but it likely will not be pretty. The price is around $500 installed. In my work truck it was an upgrade to the factory radio but in the Blackwood I lost some factory functions.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                            Yep, and it'll put some muscle on him too! And in what other trade can you go from a shotgun shack to a $3 mil. home before lunch? (he was quick to decide which way he would like to live)
                            You're right about the texting, and the problem is the texts are .10 each!
                            Yeah, they'll hammer you on this. Most people with teens hit a breaking point where they just add unlimited text to their plan. I don't text. The people I know that do seem addicted to it. After 2 or 3 back and forth I yell at them to "JUST CALL THEM FOR GOSH SAKE!"

I have a friend in the ATT world that says everything is heading to 1 price=everything. Don't know what that pricepoint will be but he says it will be unlimited everything. Maybe good, maybe not. Will see.

Comment

It was all good having Cingulars $50 monthly plan...
                              till I got a bill for $800 a few months into self employment.
                              I'd been eating up all my rollover minutes without noticing. Shortly after, I switched to the 2100 plan...now I have 10,000 rollover minutes & wondering why I pay the buck fifty a month.
                              My cell is a nokia bluetooth enabled with camera...I take pics of before n' after and go home, download the ugliness to my pc.

Comment

Working...
                              X