Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Water Heater Installation Time

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Water Heater Installation Time

    Of Course depending on size, I would have the same time as most , around 1.5 hours to 3.0 hours depending on size

    Changing out a water heater is like doing brakes on a car, Its pretty much a easy plumbing task ( For a professional plumber )

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Water Heater Installation Time

      1 1/2 hours was about the average for a 40 or 50 gallon gas. However, most of our water heaters here are in the garages.

      Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

      I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Water Heater Installation Time

        4-5 hours here on a gas 40/50 heater with 2 men. Only 1 in 100 heaters here are electric. I've never seen a gas appliance in a garage here. I can't even remember working in a house that even had a garage

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Water Heater Installation Time

          That's what I was thinking. I was getting ridden to cut my time down and didn't think 2.5 hrs was too bad. Thanks.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Water Heater Installation Time

            Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            4-5 hours here on a gas 40/50 heater with 2 men. Only 1 in 100 heaters here are electric. I've never seen a gas appliance in a garage here. I can't even remember working in a house that even had a garage
            Wow see that's why it's so hard to even talk prices on this site. Your labor you listed is what I use to figure for a 100-gallon commercial with a power damper.

            Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Water Heater Installation Time

              Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              4-5 hours here on a gas 40/50 heater with 2 men. Only 1 in 100 heaters here are electric. I've never seen a gas appliance in a garage here. I can't even remember working in a house that even had a garage
              Yea, Thats what makes America GREAT !

              We have nothing but houses with garages in NY

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Wow see that's why it's so hard to even talk prices on this site. Your labor you listed is what I use to figure for a 100-gallon commercial with a power damper.

                Mark
                I gotta agree, 2 men @ 4-5 hrs is a bit much for a 40-50...but heck, if they get the rate, hats off to 'em.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                  By myself, it usually takes me around 4-1/2 hours or so I'd say to replace a 50 gallon water heater. Just about all heaters are in basements around here, and soldering the way I do, takes extra time.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                    I must say im pretty SHOCKED at some of the times listed that it takes to replace a 40-50 gal. electric w.h.

                    I usaully never have a helper and it rarely takes 2 hours from start to finish! Most of them in my area are in a basement, i immediately disconnect the old water heater and (with the help of my hand truck) move the tank to a location near a floor drain and begin draining. If Im lucky enough to have an outside entrence, i take the tank outside the door (still full), and just let it drain. I never wait on the tank to drain prior to moving it.....While the new tank is filling, i then take the "empty" tank to the truck.

                    I cannot imagine taking 4-5 hours with 2 men to replace even much larger more difficult heaters?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                      What if you have to take doors down to fit the water heater in, and then put them back up?

                      What if you have to shut the gas off to the whole house, disconnect gas lines 'box-ing' the heater in, then installing the pipes back, and re-light the whole house?

                      I'm sure I could 'throw' a water heater in, in 3 hours or so, but the job would look like ****, and there would be a solder running all the way from the the water heaters shut off valve down to the female adapter.

                      But, I don't.

                      Also, with 4-1/2 hours, that covers hub to hub fittings, usually including having to install a new valve to the water heater itself, which seems like it happens ALOT.
                      Last edited by Aaron91; 05-20-2008, 10:17 PM.
                      Proud To Be Union!!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                        This is what I tell my guys at work(keep in mind this is government), "5 years from no one will remember that the WH or whatever took xxx hours too long. They will remember ever time they look at that it looks crappy."
                        If we have time to do it twice than we have time to do it right the first time.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                          Originally posted by turdjerker View Post
                          I must say im pretty SHOCKED at some of the times listed that it takes to replace a 40-50 gal. electric w.h.

                          I usaully never have a helper and it rarely takes 2 hours from start to finish! Most of them in my area are in a basement, i immediately disconnect the old water heater and (with the help of my hand truck) move the tank to a location near a floor drain and begin draining. If Im lucky enough to have an outside entrence, i take the tank outside the door (still full), and just let it drain. I never wait on the tank to drain prior to moving it.....While the new tank is filling, i then take the "empty" tank to the truck.

                          I cannot imagine taking 4-5 hours with 2 men to replace even much larger more difficult heaters?
                          Aarons right and your right. Just depends on the job. But I'm in line with you and others. My best was less than thirty minutes. And that was double checking everything. Everything just fell into place. I can't remember the longest one though. Blocked it out.

                          J.C.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                            Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                            What if you have to take doors down to fit the water heater in, and then put them back up?

                            What if you have to shut the gas off to the whole house, disconnect gas lines 'box-ing' the heater in, then installing the pipes back, and re-light the whole house?

                            I'm sure I could 'throw' a water heater in, in 3 hours or so, but the job would look like ****, and there would be a solder running all the way from the the water heaters shut off valve down to the female adapter.

                            But, I don't.

                            Also, with 4-1/2 hours, that covers hub to hub fittings, usually including having to install a new valve to the water heater itself, which seems like it happens ALOT.

                            Yes, I will agree that many variables factor in the time it takes....I guess I am just thinking of a "standard" replacement.........

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                              My best was a shade under an hour. 30 minutes for a good changeouts is good. My hat's off to you.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                                I'd say my fastest water heater replacement with the owner over my back was probably pretty close to an hour.
                                Proud To Be Union!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X